• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

do yourself a favor check your blood pressure.

I'm 120/80...been that way forever. Textbook normal...

I attribute it to low stress, exercise, alternative medicine and whiskey. :)

I don't know what the deal is, but recently when I get my BP readings from the BP chair at walmart, I tend to get something like 140s/70s the first time. But when I test again immediately after, it usually goes down to 120s/70~60s.

I consistently get around 110s/70s~60s at another walmart location (moved about a year ago) and it never fluctuates this much in matter of seconds!!! What is going on?

My diastolic pressure is pretty much always under 80 yet recently my systolic pressure fluctuates like crazy in such short period of time. Is it the machine, or is something up with my body?

Ski if you can educate us on the cause ,,that would be a good start.The reason I say that is because we still don't have a complete understanding of essential htn,but we do have an array of good drugs.Now I'm not going to fall into ski's debate trap of homeotherapy vs traditional pharmicology.We do know that certain plants, accupuncture and the like do have physiologic responses ie they work to a degree,,,, but drugs titered to the correct dose have much more reproducable(robust) measurable(repeatable) results.

Doc,
First, I truely don't mean any disrespect to you or your profession. None at all. And I didn't post that as a way to start some debate, either.

Clearly - I can't educate anyone on "the cause" since it is probably different for everyone. And I don't specifically advocate plants, accupunture, etc. as the "better" alternative. However, what I do firmly believe, is that for many diseases there are external factors that initiate the problem. Hypertension is probably the absolute best example. To me, one can either address the symptom (with drugs or accupunture...), or what one might believe is the cause(s). Easier said than done, of course, which is why pills offer a "better" solution.

A couple of years ago I was at Walmart and they had a BP chair. I sat down put my arm in the cuff and pressed the button. The reading put me in a state of panic. I bought a BP machine and took it home, again high reading. I went right to the emergency room. They took my BP and it was perfect. HMMM. I went home took mine again with the machine I bought, High again. I am like WTF. I took the machine into my regular doctors office and it was giving a false reading.

I thought at the time how dangerous it is that the BP machines they sell are not tested. Imagine if I actually did have high BP and the machine was telling me I was fine??? Not good. I find it just to be my luck that the machine at Walmart and the one I picked off the shelf were both defective and giving bad readings.

BTW I just had my BP taken today and blood work down. My BP was 130/80.

fatherhood not kicked in, lil' grasshopper:biggrin:
you can pick off a good spyingogognomonometereter
on ebay.
threads like this make my blood boil.

124/67 here, Just took mine :) Also I have my own machine at home because of the one's at walmart not fitting my arm well and they give me a 155/100 last time I used it lol. Also I freak out in the Doc's office sometimes they call it "White Coat" so my BP there is always pretty high too. I say get 2 machines and use them both and take one back to make sure it is working correctly.

I agree the bp machines at the store are unreliable,and who knows if they are maintained or calibrated.You can learn to take your own with a cuff and stethescope or have you wife/sig other do it.My point to all the busy members is life goes quick and some of us heap large amounts of stress upon ourselfs in short amounts of time.I was a single guy living in a apt complex for 6 yrs had my nsx which was the center of my universe and was a care free dude.Not a worry.In the last 6 yrs I have gotten married, had two boys,built a house ,built a business,built a commercial building and sit on the board and manage 3 companies,,,so ,,,,,,, don't forget yourself.

In the last 6 yrs I have built a business,built a commercial building and sit on the board and manage 3 companies,,,so ,,,,,,, don't forget yourself.

And don't you forget that next time it's your turn to pick up the check.....:tongue:

Lol you'd think that but I already spent it all:eek: I'll take care of the tip counselor!:wink:

I found out when I tried to change my life insurance that I had VERY high BP. When I went to the doctor my BP was 200/130. Yes that high.

I had no real symptoms - just an increase in headaches over a period of years.

The doctor immediately put me on medication and I spent the 3 day weekend indoors and resting on doctor's orders.

A week later my BP was in the 130/80 range. We adjusted the medication and I am consistently in that range.

For ski_banker - please enlighten me on the cause. After my diagnosis - I spent some time researching hypertension and except for a minority of cases where there are kidney problems hypertension has few known causes. I have been active most of my life, have always had a low sodium intake, and deal with a typical amount of stress. There are no crop circles, nuclear reactors, crop dusters, or bad mojo around me. So what causes my high bp?

I am a competitive swimmer, eat generally well. I enjoy red wine several times a week. Oh and I drive my NSX about twice a week.

I found out when I tried to change my life insurance that I had VERY high BP. When I went to the doctor my BP was 200/130. Yes that high.

I had no real symptoms - just an increase in headaches over a period of years.

The doctor immediately put me on medication and I spent the 3 day weekend indoors and resting on doctor's orders.

A week later my BP was in the 130/80 range. We adjusted the medication and I am consistently in that range.

For ski_banker - please enlighten me on the cause. After my diagnosis - I spent some time researching hypertension and except for a minority of cases where there are kidney problems hypertension has few known causes. I have been active most of my life, have always had a low sodium intake, and deal with a typical amount of stress. There are no crop circles, nuclear reactors, crop dusters, or bad mojo around me. So what causes my high bp?

I am a competitive swimmer, eat generally well. I enjoy red wine several times a week. Oh and I drive my NSX about twice a week.

exactly ,you are a poster child for regular bp evaluation.No magic potion is going to keep you normotensive:wink:

I am a radiologist like docjohn and had a similar experience. I take an ARB (Cozzar). Probably not a bad idea to get colonoscopy earlier than age 50.Doctors are not the best patients in general.

Pot, Red wine and unrefined Chocolate, regular exercise, and lots of sex...

What else do you need to do to lower your blood pressure?

Oh yeah, move to Canada!

similar - I can get my blood pressure at any machine in any store and it will say 140/90 (ish) but any time I get it done by hand it is 125/75ish.

I don't have huge arms but i do lift....those little cuffs say for 9-13" arms or something like that.... so I always assumed that was the problem....?

I agree the bp machines at the store are unreliable,and who knows if they are maintained or calibrated.You can learn to take your own with a cuff and stethescope or have you wife/sig other do it.My point to all the busy members is life goes quick and some of us heap large amounts of stress upon ourselfs in short amounts of time.I was a single guy living in a apt complex for 6 yrs had my nsx which was the center of my universe and was a care free dude.Not a worry.In the last 6 yrs I have gotten married, had two boys,built a house ,built a business,built a commercial building and sit on the board and manage 3 companies,,,so ,,,,,,, don't forget yourself.

Ha no joke, so I got out my wrist blood pressure gadget out and took mine. 108/67. I was so proud of myself. Beaming with pride, I go over to my girlfriend and show her.

Then I take hers. 98/56 with a resting pulse of 49. I was like WTF, you're dead or in a coma! I take it again. 94/48 with a pulse of 47. I mean, she's pretty healthy and athletic, but come on! That's rediculous.

I agree the bp machines at the store are unreliable,and who knows if they are maintained or calibrated.

And sometimes the person taking the BP is equally unreliable. Last week I needed to go in for bloodwork and as a matter of course the nurse took my blood pressure. She got a reading of 139/95 and I told her not to write it in my chart because it was incorrect. She got a little snippy with me and I told her that she had to be wrong and I didn't want my chart to reflect an elevated pressure in case I needed to get insurance down the road and someone decided I was too high a risk based upon her entry. I finally insisted that the doctor take it and he saw she used the wrong cuff and told me that my pressure was 110/70 (as I expected).

I guess the bottom line is to know your baseline and then question results obtained by any source if you feel that it is not in keeping with that baseline.

Then I take hers. 98/56 with a resting pulse of 49. I was like WTF, you're dead or in a coma! I take it again. 94/48 with a pulse of 47. I mean, she's pretty healthy and athletic, but come on! That's rediculous.

I am assuming that she is very athletic and doesn't complain of any dizziness because otherwise if those diastolic numbers are accurate she should still get checked for hypotension.

I am assuming that she is very athletic and doesn't complain of any dizziness because otherwise if those diastolic numbers are accurate she should still get checked for hypotension.

Yeah, she's in great shape. And to be fair, it was late and she was getting ready for sleep. During the day her average is around 105/60 with resting pulse of about 55, which is still really good, but still all seem so low to me.

I've seen your wife, kids (beautiful on all three),your car and got an idea about your house. I'm sure the commercial building is nice too and the business is what you wanted to do and planned for. All good stuff.

When stuff in the house begins to wear out, the kids say they hate you, your wife goes through menopause, the insurance companies clamp down even more then they are now, your company partners get you involved in a few malpractice suits and every young girl you smile at scowls at you like you're a dirty old man then you'll having something to complain about.
( any similarities to the above and my life is coincidental:biggrin: :biggrin: )

John, I'm glad you caught it before life gets REALLY tough. :biggrin:
Please take care of your self.:wink: We like having you around.

Got home from work: 114/73.

Last edited:
after having just visited my father in oregon the prior week, last thursday morning i got a call from dad saying he "wasn't doing too well." (passing large amounts of blood, weakness) a call to his neighbor (who had just visited dad) confirmed things weren't "too good."

neighbor took pop to the hospital (pop's 83 next month, an 11 year stroke survivor) and they took pop's bp: 94 over 43 (iirc). they admitted him, stuffed him with iv's and xrayed him. inflamed intestines & bowel area but nothing else. cat scan. nothing.

finally diagnosed as diverticulosis, put on heavy antibiotics & saline / something else iv.

in 2 days was doing great, bleeding had stopped; checked out of this hospital on sat: bp was 150 / something reasonable.

i took away a couple of things relative to this thread:

* if you / someone you know well exhibits changes that you "can't put your finger on", have them checked out asap. (the previous week, pop was always cold, wouldn't eat much, tired and *very* low key... unusual for him.)

i would put the posts about "having frequent headaches" under this category.

* not a bad policy to have your bp checked by a professional on a regular basis.

hal

Back