• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

does an S550 have some sort of K-band transmitter?

Encountered an S550 today that made my V1 goes nuts. More and more cars are messing up detectors. A local FX35 always sets of my Laser detector as well whenever it's heading toward me.

What band was it emmitting? Some K band signals are the result of garage door openers, also park distance warning can confuse detectors.

As noted, it was K band, but this was on the highway and was continuous. It didn't appear to be related to automated speed control either as his speed was everywhere from 65-90 (which could have been automated but I sort of doubt it).

Probably the laser guided speed control, the W221 S-Class got this system that allows you to set the speed to lets say 100. It'll brake and accelerate as needed in traffic until it hits the limit you set using a device combining laser and radar technologie to measure the gaps. Don't know which frequency k-band is, but this would be my first guess.

I have the same problem with chevy blazers. In the V1 manuel they talk about certain models of cars causing false alarms.

Mercedes' Distronic uses a radar unit up front (not laser), and it is constantly on, independent of whether the system is activated or not. The Distronic in my CL used to warn me of possible dangerous situations that may have caused a collision. It used that radar unit to do this, and it was on, always.

I am not aware of it causing any problems with detectors, but I didn't ever really check either. My car had both Distronic and Parktronic, so if any of that screws with a V1, I supposed my car should have. But Parktronic has a very short range... 5-6 feet. Distronic radar goes MUCH further... 300 feet easy.

On a few occasions the system would beep and flash and there I was, headed towards something and not paying attention. I don't know how the car knew I was being stupid, but it did. I sure miss those features now.

My S600 gives toll booth sensors fits. The only way I can get the toll booth sensor to activate is by holding the transponder up to the sun roof glass. When the toll transponder is mounted 'properly' on the windshield, the sensors are blinded by something being emitted from the car and never activate.

My S600 gives toll booth sensors fits. The only way I can get the toll booth sensor to activate is by holding the transponder up to the sun roof glass. When the toll transponder is mounted 'properly' on the windshield, the sensors are blinded by something being emitted from the car and never activate.

It might be the heated glass in the winshield? I had a S500 with the heated windshield and had similar problems.

Turbo2go is correct, when I spoke with the people at K40 Electronics (tech support) they confirmed that MBZ distronic operates on K-band and will false their radar detectors. They had no new sensors to correct this problem as of 2 months ago. On a different FYI, K40's Calibre system that communicates with its sensors via bluetooth can also cause some distortion on the factory bluetooth phone system.

Back