• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Does your transmission tunnel heat up?

Hello much-braver-than-I NSX owners who track your cars. I could use your help in diagnosing a cooling issue in my (street-driven-only) car.

My car overheated and we thought it was the head gasket so that's now been replaced. However, one symptom that appeared before the head gasket problem has persisted. So I wonder...

On the track, when your car is under hard acceleration (5k RPM plus) a lot of the time, do you notice your transmission tunnel (mostly the shift boot and the base of the parking brake) getting hot to the touch?

Mine does not heat up in stop and go traffic or cruising on the highway, but during "spirited" driving on mountain roads where the car mostly stays in 2nd gear and is accelerating a lot, it's heating up. All while the temp gauge stays normal. Coolant level is normal.

I am asking the owners of track-prepped cars specifically because it's possible a previous owner of my car removed some of the insulation in the tunnel to try and save some weight. My fellow street-driven-only NSX owners report that they have never observed this phenomenon, but they probably have all their insulation intact, whereas you guys might not :biggrin:

Hello much-braver-than-I NSX owners who track your cars. I could use your help in diagnosing a cooling issue in my (street-driven-only) car.

My car overheated and we thought it was the head gasket so that's now been replaced. However, one symptom that appeared before the head gasket problem has persisted. So I wonder...

On the track, when your car is under hard acceleration (5k RPM plus) a lot of the time, do you notice your transmission tunnel (mostly the shift boot and the base of the parking brake) getting hot to the touch?

Mine does not heat up in stop and go traffic or cruising on the highway, but during "spirited" driving on mountain roads where the car mostly stays in 2nd gear and is accelerating a lot, it's heating up. All while the temp gauge stays normal. Coolant level is normal.

I am asking the owners of track-prepped cars specifically because it's possible a previous owner of my car removed some of the insulation in the tunnel to try and save some weight. My fellow street-driven-only NSX owners report that they have never observed this phenomenon, but they probably have all their insulation intact, whereas you guys might not :biggrin:

I've never had this problem.

Thanks for your input guys. Gotta get to the bottom of this.

Back