• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double din limits

What is the max size after market deck that will fit when going with a double din radio? I see quite a few people are going with a 6.1". Those of you that have gone that route, did you cut the console yourself or have the installers do it?

I just made up my own, sold off the stock piece and didn't have to deal with pealing off all the metal finish that will eventually bubble.IMGP2220.jpg
And now I don't spill my coffee!

Last edited:
I also made my own using the stock console. After I finished with the cutting and sanding then prime and plastic dip the whole console to give it a factory look. I am using a 7" wide Alpine INA-W910. Here's a picture.

attachment.php

Caroline, could you share more about how you mounted the amp there in the footwell? What piece does one have to modify? I know there is a metal shield and a plastic sub box under there...

Caroline, could you share more about how you mounted the amp there in the footwell? What piece does one have to modify? I know there is a metal shield and a plastic sub box under there...

No modified was needed. it was meant to sit behind the floor mat. I just left it out cause I thought it looked cool showing the amp. Even with the amp sitting the way it is it doesn't slide or fall over either :wink:.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me take a better picture of it with the amp showing and the amp behind the floor mat.

- - - Updated - - -

bngl3rt, Here is a couple picture of the Alpine amp behind the floor mat and one with it showing.

IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0024.jpg

Last edited:
I also made my own using the stock console. After I finished with the cutting and sanding then prime and plastic dip the whole console to give it a factory look. I am using a 7" wide Alpine INA-W910. Here's a picture.

attachment.php

Do you have more pics or info on how you made this piece? What materials or anything? It looks great.

What is the max size after market deck that will fit when going with a double din radio? I see quite a few people are going with a 6.1". Those of you that have gone that route, did you cut the console yourself or have the installers do it?

What am I missing here.... It's a double DIN. The overall dimensions are standard. The size of the screen isn't going to alter the size of the radio.

Not all double dimensions is the same. Some or smaller than others :smile:.

What am I missing here.... It's a double DIN. The overall dimensions are standard. The size of the screen isn't going to alter the size of the radio.

- - - Updated - - -

For example Kendwood diameter is smaller than the Alpine's.

- - - Updated - - -

Pioneer diameter is the same as Alpine.

What I think you guys are missing (and turbo tried to say) is that the dimensions of all DIN units are the same as are double DIN units, it is the very meaning of the DIN designation - so even though the screen size differs, the actual mounting hole is standard.

Not quite, Caroline-NSX is correct. The face of the units can differ quite a bit. That determines the size of the hole. The body of the units will generally fit in a double DIN opening. To add to to the complexity, the NSX really doesn't give you much room to play. Pretty much each console needs to be constructed to the dimensions of the head unit because they may fold down differently or the head units can push the dimensions of the face to the edges. Alpine even makes an oversized face double DIN unit that would never fit. Your maximum screen size is around 7" and you might be lucky enough to have the coin tray door open.

Here is one I did today using SOS composite center console. Buddy of mine here in town ask me if I can do the cut out for his pioneer double din. I use a jig saw with a fine cut blade. Here is how it look and came out :smile:.

SOS console...

composite_center_console_450.jpg

Here's the cut out...
IMG_0027.jpg IMG_0030.jpg IMG_0028.JPGIMG_0029.JPG

Using this tool...
IMG_0031.jpg IMG_0032.jpg

After the cut I came back with sand paper using a blocker for a smooth straight line and block and wet sand the whole console to get it ready for vinyl wrap or paint...
IMG_0033.jpg :biggrin:!

That's a steady hand. That's not even a good jigsaw... LOL

Thanks Dave! Cheap jig saw from Walmart with a good fine cut blade from home Depot. Took me only 5min to do everything :wink:.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have more pics or info on how you made this piece? What materials or anything? It looks great.

I don't have pictures right now but maybe later on in the week I will take it apart and snap some and post it on here.

I used the stock console cut the radio and ash tray part off the console. Then I build a whole new piece using 1/4 inch MDF wood. Cut out for the AC part and for the double din. After that I sanded the entire piece using 220 grit sand paper to get it as smooth as I can. Primed it a few time to fill up the light scratches and plastic dip the whole center console for a clean factory finish.

securedownload.jpg

My coin tray opens but hits on the upper left side for some reason. I made custom brackets and recently purchased the SOS brackets but ended up with the same results. Im going with a new head unit this spring something that integrates my electronics a lil better, and fits more flush. Anyone have a recommendation? I don't need nav, I would like to be able to tilt the face forward, be able to integrate my Apple products seamlessly. Something that will mount flush and tilt out when in use. Anyone figure a way to mount the Ipad mini?

I put the Amp behind the seat and replaced the stock "sub" with a real one.

Last edited:

Double din using stock console. I chop off the radio part and the ashtray part. Build my own radio piece using MDF 1/4 inch wood. Here is a few picture of how I did it.

attachment.php

IMG_0171.jpg IMG_0172.jpg IMG_0173.jpg IMG_0176.jpg IMG_0174.jpg

After all pieces was sanding down smooth I came back clean everything down and PLASTIC DIP all three pieces and there is my oem custom console. Hope this help some of you guys out and save you alot of money. Cost me $20 and maybe an hour :smile:.

Back