• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

- I used the SOS double din bracket, and it turns out that you cannot close the ash tray anymore. I discovered this when I went to pick up my car from the stereo shop.

Thanks for your feedback. Your setup looks great.

I'm a little confused about not being able to close the ash tray. We can definitely close the ash tray on our double din and single din setups. Perhaps the door is fitting the bottom of the double din? If you can post some photos or drop us a line, we should be able to resolve that.

thanks,
-- Chris

I'm a little confused about not being able to close the ash tray. We can definitely close the ash tray on our double din and single din setups. Perhaps the door is fitting the bottom of the double din?

I can speak from experience here although I have not used the SOS bracket. With or without the bracket, the ashtray door would hit the stereo. The problem is that in order to make the 7" screens fit, you have to tilt the unit down a little bit more. Or else you have to do a whole lot of shifting to make the unit sit closer to the climate control, this involves sanding down the bottom of the climate control housing. It's quite a bit of work and the dividing line on the console trim between the stereo and the climate control would need to be a lot thinner than it is in the pictures.

It would be very difficult if not impossible to have the Kenwood 7" screen in there and have full mobility on the ashtray door so it's not really a problem with the SOS bracket. I suspect this exists on all 7" screens unless the manufacturer slimmed down the chassis of the stereo.

Yes, this is true. My installer took out my ash tray and paneled it over. I have the Kenwood DDX-6019 which is a 7" screen.

3825Kenwood1.JPG

It would be very difficult if not impossible to have the Kenwood 7" screen in there and have full mobility on the ashtray door so it's not really a problem with the SOS bracket. I suspect this exists on all 7" screens unless the manufacturer slimmed down the chassis of the stereo.

Hi

I have the SOS bracket laying around and will go the Kenwood double din way.

I would not mind if I could not fully open the ash tray. I would like it to get it closed though. And as open as I could get the lighter out and put something in there.

I guess the problem here is that it will not move at all?

Is there something I should/could do to make it work when I some time in the future get those components needed and installed?

Regards

I would not mind if I could not fully open the ash tray. I would like it to get it closed though. And as open as I could get the lighter out and put something in there.

I guess the problem here is that it will not move at all?

The door will move, just not open or close. :) The problem is that the door has a slightly upward motion when moving up and it hits the bottom of the stereo. So you either have the ashtray door open all the time, or closed all the time. Those are your two choices. The other choice you have is to completely re-engineer the door so that it folds down in case you wanted to put something in the ashtray or access the lighter socket. Probably wouldn't be too hard for a crafty installer to do this either.

Last edited:
Jim, could you post more pics of your panel please? Looks really nice..Like brushed aluminum.

Thanks. It probably looks that way because of the lighting. It was painted to match the original factory color. Here is another angle with the unit in the reverse tilt position:

3825Kenwood3.JPG

Will the Kenwood not fit in the nav pod? I'd rather put it there, if at all possible.

-CiaoBoy

No,
I had the JDM nav pod in my previous NSX, and I believe that it can only accomodate a monitor.
BTW, did you know that you have to drill holes into your dash when installing the nav pod? Just a FYI. -Tom

A little angel showed me this update...Coming soooooon!

I
want
this
unit
right
friggin'
NOW!

Gimme it, I must have this thinghy now, Don't tell me I can't have it, You don't understand honey, it is a must upgrade. Gemme,Gemme,Gemme...

x113DDX512-f_mt.jpeg

I wonder if this DDX512 and the upcoming DNX8120 will have the same chassis-size and fitment issues that the DNX7100 has in fitting with the SOS bracket and in our dash....

I wonder if this DDX512 and the upcoming DNX8120 will have the same chassis-size and fitment issues that the DNX7100 has in fitting with the SOS bracket and in our dash....

The DDX512 should not have that same issue because it's a smaller screen and you don't have to accommodate tilt. The 812/8120 and 712/7120 I would expect to have the same issues, I'd be damn surprised if not.

Kenwood has updated their webpage with the 512/5120 712/7120 head units. The DDX712/DNX7120 was previously unannounced at CES but looks like it is missing the built in Bluetooth.

745_800_505.jpg

Skyguy, check their owners manual section. The new decks are in there which is a very good sign that they are close to production!

Another good thing to do to check out the new decks is to go to Crutchfield and sort by NEW head units. Then you will see all the current offerings even if they are not out yet.

Awesome info. Malibu, with all your knowledge and experience, I would gladly pay you to do my install for me next month if you are inclined and willing... :)

Here's my Kenwood DNX-7100 install:

DSC00648.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

An Eclipse monitor and Shifter ZR3 laser jammer display unit mounted in the nav pod
DSC00667.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

Valentine 1 Radar Detector and White LED bulbs in the overhead lamps (I did this to all interior lamps)
DSC00630.jpg

NRG and Momo steering setup from Eric
DSC00649.jpg

Skyguy, check their owners manual section. The new decks are in there which is a very good sign that they are close to production!

Another good thing to do to check out the new decks is to go to Crutchfield and sort by NEW head units. Then you will see all the current offerings even if they are not out yet.

M.R.,
Thanks. I just read the manual, (yes some AR people, *read:pilot, actually reads these things) and it is all and more. I am in the line for one from Crutchfield's que and will report back when more info pops up.

Thanks again!

*"Over and out"
:wink:
Sky
6429sig_red_sm.jpg

*Actually that is not a real radio phrase. "Over" means your expecting a reply, "Out" means your not expecting a reply.

"Wilco" is an actual phrase and I use it. "Wil" = Will "co" = comply.
ie; Will comply.

Nice setup NSXNate. Did you get the double din cutout custom cut to fit the Kenwood, or did you get just a standard double-din cutout and it fit the same? Judging by the angle, when the unit is not in reverse-tilt mode, does it protrude out a bit?

I
want
this
unit
right
friggin'
NOW!

Gimme it, I must have this thinghy now, Don't tell me I can't have it, You don't understand honey, it is a must upgrade. Gemme,Gemme,Gemme...

I'm waiting for this one. Pioneer AVIC-F500BT

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...omplete+Control+of+iPod+and+Bluetooth+Devices

I assume it will be similar to Microsoft Sync, but not limited to Ford cars. Now I can really talk to my car!

-CiaoBoy

Nice setup NSXNate. Did you get the double din cutout custom cut to fit the Kenwood, or did you get just a standard double-din cutout and it fit the same? Judging by the angle, when the unit is not in reverse-tilt mode, does it protrude out a bit?

Thanks for the compliments.

The double din console is from the original Tamoske group buy. It was months late when it finally arrived, the double-din hole was cut very badly (as in not even a square shape), and it took a days of sanding to get a usable fit. IF he ever gets a chance to do another group buy avoid it at all cost. He's far more overdue in his current sales and owes a lot of people money right now.

You are correct about how the screen sits. It protrudes a little when the unit is off and it returns to the flat position, but that doesn't bother me and it still looks good in the dash.

when installing a double din....do you guys cut your current center console? or you can get one thats pre cut for double din already?

i just checked the price for center console and its a $800 mistake if i Fuxored it up

when installing a double din....do you guys cut your current center console? or you can get one thats pre cut for double din already?

i just checked the price for center console and its a $800 mistake if i Fuxored it up

The best quality installs I've seen use a modified OEM piece. It's very difficult to make a prefab console for a number of reasons. First, no 2 stereo installs will have the stereo in exactly the same spot. So if you bought a precut piece, you first have to hope it fits. Then you have to customize your stereo mounting to fit the precut console. This can be very difficult if not impossible sometimes.

If you cut your own console, you mount your stereo and then you trim your panel to fit. This method is a lot easier. Modifying the OEM console trim also allows you to do things like build walls to make the installation look cleaner. For example, these faces that move up and down will leave gaps depending on their positions. You will be able to see what's behind the console and it just doesn't look clean.

I've said it before and repeat the OEM console trim is a masterpiece that just can't be duplicated or matched in fitment. Honda really went all out to make sure it would last and fit well. It's made from a great plastic and then electroplated and laminated. The electroplating can bubble from heat and age but the plastic maintains it's shape and can be refinished.

The new units are better than the old ones. :) You will be able to pick up a 7120 for about that same price when it releases. So I wouldn't say it's a good deal. Around $500 is a good deal for the 8019 I'd say considering that the new units are arriving soon.

Thanks for the feedback...I'll wait a while then.:smile:
If you could point me to a online retailer with good prices, I'd appreciate it.

Back