• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce NA1R Hood Redevelopment (Looking for donor NSX in Socal area)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it perfect? no, but it's damn close. I would say 9/10. It was also 1/3 the price of the DF. Actually, I bought used for 1/4 of the price. I have seen Curt's DF Na1, and I know he wasnt happy. I wouldn't have been either.

This is DF's thread, so I don't want to go on about other hoods. They make good stuff but they also were aware of their problem with this hood and even if it's been almost two years, I am glad that Peter and DF is finally going to fix this and hopefully make good on their promise to a loyal customer who bought a lot of their stuff, was patient, and didn't try to plaster it's all over Prime even though he got stuck with a bad hood. I've seen the hood and it's not being picky, its a bad hood.

Last edited:
I have DF hood. I was not VERY happy with the 1st one and they sent me the 2nd one, still not happy. After a while, I got used to it and it does not bother me anymore after looking at it everyday. I, however, applaud Peter's work and he has tried to make his customer happy. If you ask me" would I do it again ?" the answer is "Yes".

Peter, you have a happy customer here even though the hood is not perfect, but because of your service.

I do want you to make us CF OEM center console and door panels.

Last edited:
Is it perfect? no, but it's damn close. I would say 9/10. It was also 1/3 the price of the DF. Actually, I bought used for 1/4 of the price. I have seen Curt's DF Na1, and I know he wasnt happy. I wouldn't have been either.

This is DF's thread, so I don't want to go on about other hoods. They make good stuff but they also were aware of their problem with this hood and even if it's been almost two years, I am glad that Peter and DF is finally going to fix this and hopefully make good on their promise to a loyal customer who bought a lot of their stuff, was patient, and didn't try to plaster it's all over Prime even though he got stuck with a bad hood. I've seen the hood and it's not being picky, its a bad hood.

Pretty damn close! Fitment looks good how is the quality? Does it have any waves in the hood? Thats another problem with aftermarket hood. They have waves in it :frown:

Peter, if you get the next Na1 Type R style hood to fit nice and with no waves in the hood you will me on the list as a buyer :wink:

I won't be the only one either thats for sure :biggrin:

I'm been planning to remake the NA1R hood because there were just too many hits and misses. Some cars worked out great and some just awful. So this time around I will be doing the hood. Just a background on our NA1R, it was originally done by Metalcrafters. They are a very well known company that designed the Chrysler ME12, Dodge Viper back in 1992, The current generation Tundra for Toyota and many more. I am very disappointed with the results as I tried to reconfigure the tooling to save the mold, but I just can't pinpoint to where the problem was.

So what we are going to do this time around is to remake it ourselves from scratch and do it in-house so I can ensure quality control. I had been waiting for a while for a NSX to base off and had not been able to locate a virgin donor yet. So I'm looking here on Prime for someone. Here are the requirements.

1.) 1990 - 2001 Year of Manufacturer
2.) Must have original paint on Fenders and Front Bumper
3.) Must have never dismounted the Fenders or Front Bumper
4.) Never in accident.

Your NSX will be needed for 2-3 weeks.

Compensation would be a free NA1R hood to be delivered.
looking for a 1991-2001 NSX that has never been in an accident before.

Hi Peter,

I live in Anaheim and my NSX fits all the criteria that you have listed...

My car is my weekend driver so I dont really mind not having the car...

PM me if you are interested and we can talk more...

Jeff

I have a Taitec hood and it has the same issues as the Downforce hood. I have seen other Taitec hoods and the exact same issue. They were all apparently molded from a tru Type-R hood. Funny but at XPO, pbasso commented on my hood that it was a true Type-R copy because the duct is off center just like a Type-R hood. Wondering if it is the true hand made nature and alignment which makes these all slightly off.

i've come to believe that so many parts don't just bolt on right because of the hand-built nature of these cars. While at the factory, the techs custom align every body panel so that the gaps are tight and even. Then it all gets tightened down, nice and perfect. If a new panel is put on, one may get lucky and it bolts right up, or sometimes the adjacent panels may need adjusting for a proper fit.
J

+1.

Well I would like a hood for my 91 in smoked carbon to match my trunk lid and wing so hurry the f-k up!:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back