• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Drag radials

Can someone recommend a set of drag radials to me? Will an R1 do OK as a drag tire?

I don't think you want to get any stickier than something like the Nitto 555R or equivalent. Doing something, like a Mickey Thompson, would put a lot more stress on the "weakest link" (axles, clutch) in your car and potentially break something.

Last edited:
You still wanna race that E55 with a seized main bearing and cracked heads blowing coolant into your interior??? Danger must be your middle name... Dangerous Dave... I used to play a game with that name years ago...

Dangerous_dave.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you want to get any stickier than something like the Nitto 555R or equivalent. Doing so, like a Mickey Thompson, would but a lot more stress on the "weakest link" (axles, clutch) in your car and potentially break something.

That is true if you are launching hard and dropping the clutch. I just want something that will not slip too much, but I would launch much softer knowing what is back there. Is the Nitto a drag radial or a road race tire? If I get a road race tire then I can use it at the real track too. Not this sissy drag racing stuff. But if it has to really warm up first, then it may not work. Thats what I don't really know.

You still wanna race that E55 with a seized main bearing and cracked heads blowing coolant into your interior??? Danger must be your middle name... Dangerous Dave... I used to play a game with that name years ago...

Dangerous_dave.jpg

Wait til I get my 300 shot of NOS.

I like my Toyo RA1's. I would also recommend the Toyo R888. Good sticky tires with some level of streetability and you won't be doing triple lutz's the first sign of rain. It is my understanding that the R888 need a little more (not much) warming up than the RA1 but both need a healthy dose of heating up before optimal traction.

Having said all that, I can almot get full grab in first gear with my RA1's warmed up (450 rwhp/430 tq). But that's on 110 F hot Vegas pavement and my tires are 305 wide. However, I didn't notice that much of a drop off with the tires cold, or at least not as bad as I was expecting. With your FI, your engine should be pretty well warmed up before goosing it, so by then the tires should be adequately warmed up. I think if you go with either the RA1 or R888 at about 295 wide, you should have petty good hookup.

Drag radials and other R compound track tires are designed for two different purposes.

Drag radials are designed for the dragstrip. Design features to aid with acceleration runs include a very soft compound that doesn't need much warmup, and reinforced sidewalls so that they can withstand the deformation that occurs with low pressures used at the strip.

R compound track tires are designed for the racetrack. Design features include a relatively soft compound, but one which typically requires a couple of laps of warmup before they reach their performance potential. They are also designed to grip well while withstanding maximum lateral cornering forces as well as longitudinal forces like acceleration and braking.

That doesn't mean you can't use either tire for the other purpose, but its performance won't be optimal.

Also, when discussing Nitto's tires, don't let the terminology confuse you. They make the NT555 street tire, NT555R drag radial, NT555RII R comp track tire, and NT-01 R comp track tire.

I understand about some tracks having no traction. On a recent visit to one of my local tracks, I launched just off idle and was still burning rubber even into 2nd on my N/A engine.

Why not buy a bottle of this and spray it on your tires just before?
http://www.jegs.com/p/VHT/749307/10002/-1

Alot of drag strips do not have traction simply because of the water pits right before you get to the lain. Its to help break the tires loose quick and spin um hard to heat them up.

Having said that, You would want to find something like a 315/35/17 out back and a 215/40/17 should be fine for up front. Take the same offsets you use for a 315/25/19 and wheel width into account.

My M3 destroyed Differentials all day with Slicks... Part of having the fun.

Could you not just go with a set of stock 16" rears and reduce unsprung weight (vs. 315s)? You'd have cheaper tires for strictly drag duty and enjoy a huge range of tire options - plus you don't have to worry about messing up the gearing.

Back