• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dual Center speakers?

Hey guys has anyone installed two 4.5 speakers in the center console location? I like hearing sound from the factory location,but thought why not install an additional 4.5 above the factory location.(keeping it stereo: 2 spkrs) that way run a 4 channel amp to the two 6.5 doors and the two 4.5 centers and then a seperate amp to the sub...any ideas or thoughts?:D

You'd be better off mounting the "rear" pair of speakers above the driver's and passenger's shoulder area. You'll get much better stereo seperation that way.

Of course if your plans are to put in a full DVD 5.1 system then that center area might do for the center channel speaker although ideally even that should be in front of you.

thks, do you know of any photos of the spaekers mounted high in the doors like you mentioned?:cool:

I didn't mean high in the doors, I meant behind the seats over the shoulder area. I haven't seen pics but I haven't looked that hard. I'm probably going to install the JL Audio XR400-CX speakers as part of phase 2 of my stereo upgrade. They should complement the XR650-CXi speakers that are going in the doors now.

Last edited:
I showed my installer pics of those installs and he made a very valid point that I also agree with.

They will be much too close to your head compared to the door speakers. This will require a drastic fader adjustment to compensate for. He recommends putting them directly behind the seats. This way they won't be blaring directly into your ear. Honestly, I'm now thinking that considering the size of the cabin, they might not be necessary at all. I'll just have to wait and see how the new door and sub speakers sound before making up my mind. Sometimes "more" is not necessarily better. (Unless of course it's horsepower)

Back