• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dull Look

Hi Stuskie,

It sounds from your description that your car's finish is truly dull and you've tried various waxes but without success. Assuming that this is the case, you will probably need to "prep" the finish in some way to restore the shine before you use your choice of waxes on it. You can try the do-it-yourself products here, or you may wish to seek the services of a professional detailer in your area.

The primary principle in prepping the finish is to use as mild a product as possible to try bringing back the shine. If that product doesn't work, try using something a bit more aggressive. "Aggressive" means "abrasive", and means that you will be removing a tiny bit of the paint in order to come up with a smooth surface.

The first thing I would try using in your case is a good clay product to remove any surface oxidation that may be causing the dull look. Most clay products are abrasive. One that is not, and is highly recommended, is Clay Magic:

88250new.jpg

It works because it's an adhesive, rather than an abrasive. It's patented.

If this doesn't work, and the finish is still dull, then the next product to try is a mild abrasive, such as Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover 2.0:

product_m09.gif

This product is slightly abrasive - don't be surprised when you see paint on your towel - but leaves the finish smooth and ready to wax. (3M makes a similar product.)

If the finish is still dull after using a swirl remover product, then you'll have to try one of the rubbing compound type products. (Another alternative at this point is to take your car to a professional detailer.) There are full lines of such products in various degrees of abrasiveness, made by Meguiars and 3M. You'll want to finish up with a swirl remover or very mild abrasion product to restore the shine.

Once you restore the shine to the car, remember that you have exposed bare paint, so you will want to coat it with a good coat of wax to protect the finish. Many NSXers and other car buffs (pun intended) use Zymol products to protect our cars. For example, Zymöl was used for the 1934 Voisin that was chosen Best in Show, as well as the majority of first, second, and third place winners throughout the field, at the 2002 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, the top concours event in the country. Click here for more information about Zymol products, where to get them, how to use them, etc.

In particular, you'll find that there's a Zymol starter kit available from Emmons Coachworks for $80.00 (less 10 percent discount if you're a member of the NSX Club of America or other marque car club) that's a great deal - it includes a jar of Zymol Japon wax, a bottle of Zymol HD-Cleanse conditioner, a bottle of Zymol Clear car wash, and your choice of either Zymol Treat leather conditioner or Zymol Vinyl vinyl conditioner. Add a bottle of either Treat or Vinyl (whichever one doesn't come with the kit) and you've got everything you need to keep your car looking like new!

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 October 2002).]

Stuskie,

It's hard to say without looking at your car what the dullness might be from.

I'd hesitate to use any abrasives on your car without first being sure on what the problem is. Perhaps there is no problem. You could try a polish or compound on a out-of-way surface to see if it makes a difference.

In my opinion, white cars seldom shine with the same intensity as darker colors or metallics (i.e. silver). Unless your car has sat outside for its entire life, I doubt if the finish has been degraded to the point where it needs to be compounded. The NSX has a very good paint finish and it can withstand a lot of abuse. If there are scratches or swirls then that's a different matter.

I have a 1974 white Corvette with original paint. This car was built way before modern clear coat paints and technologies. I use Zaino products and the finish shines better than it ever did back when the car was new. If you're not happy with conventional waxes, I'd suggest that you give it a try. There's a lot of us here who use Zaino with excellent results.

There's more info here...

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001084.html

Zaino isn't that expensive either. You probably wouldn't need to spend anymore than about $50. I'd go with the Z2, ZFX, Z6 and the Car Wash.

I'd also highly recommend the BIG waxtest report available from...

http://wwwgurureports.org

...they go through an exhaustive test of conventional and synthethic waxes and polishes and offer many tips and hints.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 01 October 2002).]

Originally posted by Litesokneecough:
Oh no....here we go again....

yeah No kidding, Hey Jim, Ken beat you to it again!!

HEHEHE!!
smile.gif

Seriously, take it to your local high end detailer!!

Steve

------------------
Steve
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG

I guess if it's a response time competition, Ken will always win hands down The official "nsxtasy response time" on this one was a blistering 17 minutes.
wink.gif
And that's not even taking into account the time it took to compose the message!

My reponse time was a rather lame 1:03 behind Ken's.
frown.gif

Hey, this isn't a big deal guys. Hopefully, Stuskie can still glean something useful from the suggestions made here.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

It's not a response time competition, of course. So far we are all providing helpful advice here, including information about products we're familiar with, in a positive and constructive manner. Which is the way it should be. And, bottom line - the more information, the better.

I agree with Steve that the services and advice of a top-notch detailing professional can certainly be worthwhile, particularly for a problem that is serious or persistent like this one.

Agreed.

Perhaps Stuskie could provide more info here.

We really don't know if this is a persistent or a serious problem, or if it's just the common complaint that's often heard that white cars don't shine and sparkle like other colors (i.e. darker colors and metallics).

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Perhaps Stuskie could provide more info here.

We really don't know if this is a persistent or a serious problem, or if it's just the common complaint that's often heard that white cars don't shine and sparkle like other colors (i.e. darker colors and metallics).

Information about what he has tried so far would be helpful. For example, whether he has tried using a clay and/or cleansing product to remove oxidation before applying a wax or protectant, etc. A commonly-used procedure that can result in a less than maximum shine/gloss is to wash the car and then wax it, without an intermediate step to remove oxidation and light scratches.

This is not to diminish Jim's apt comments about light-colored cars generally lacking the ability to show depth, gloss, and reflectivity the way darker colors do. They are also somewhat more difficult to detail insofar as it becomes tough to see where you have applied your detailing products and what spots you might have missed. This is offset by the fact that they don't show dirt as easily as darker colors do.

P.S. Kudos, Jim, on the seven-minute response.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 October 2002).]

Originally posted by Stuskie84:
I have a white 93 and I can't seem to get it to shine like it should... what kinda waxes and polishes do you use on yours?

Welcome Stuskie84!

Are you sure your car doesn't shine like it should? I have seen quite a few white NSXs and they definitely are slightly more "matte" finish then "gloss" if that makes sense.

Why do you think it should shine more? Can you feel imperfections with your hands? Is there a visible haze or swirl marks? The information you get here is invaluable but I encourage you to be more specific with why you think it is deficient, what products you are using and how often, and if you have compared your finish to a similar year/color.

Good luck / great color!

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

I haven't really tried anything drastic yet. I've tried the usual waxes and polishes but nothing seems to make it shine like it should.I always thought it was because the car is aluminum, but then I see some of your cars look awesome.

Nick said (very aptly):

Can you feel imperfections with your hands? Is there a visible haze or swirl marks?

If the answer to either question is yes, then you might look into some of the steps noted above for "problem" paint finishes. If the answer is no, and your paint feels smooth to the touch, then I suspect it's just because white doesn't have the reflectivity and depth that darker colors do, as Jimbo noted.

Stuskie,

The fact that the NSX has an aluminum body doesn't have anything to do with the finish. Afterall, the aluminum is WAY underneath many coats of primer, paint and clearcoat. Some car care products will claim that they're designed for aluminum bodies, but that's just marketing-speak, IMHO. You're really only working on the clearcoat finish, which is pretty much the same on all modern cars.

It sounds to me that you just have "white car syndrome."

Try looking at other white cars for a comparison.

-Jim

PS: I could send you some pictures of my Zaino-ed white Vette if you like too.

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Back