• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ended up getting a 2003 Corvette Z06!

Congrats on your buy. I too, was debating between a C5 Z06 and a NA1 NSX just because the prices were identical. After test driving both, Ive come to find the z06 is faster in a straight line but the NSX feels so much more quicker and safer around turns. Im sure I could through a comptech SC on the NSX and they would be neck and neck. Also too like you mentioned, the Z06 interior was pure crap. Therefore, I picked up my 92 and have never looked back since. NOW! if it was a C6 Z06, Id be all over that thing in a heart beat vs NA2 NSX.

While I respect the C6 Z06, try my LoveFab turbo on for size and you won't consider a C6 Z06. Now a ZR1 is a different story........

While I respect the C6 Z06, try my LoveFab turbo on for size and you won't consider a C6 Z06. Now a ZR1 is a different story........

Hmm... let's look at that for a second.

97 NSX used in great condition is what? $40K? Engine build for the turbo Say $10K Lovefav turbo - $13K. Upgraded Wheels, Brakes and suspension to keep up with your power increase. $10K Upgraded clutch $4K

Now, you have a hell of a car without ANY warranty and if the engine blows, you are looking at $6,500-$10,000++ for a used NA2 motor.

Your cost is now $77K. You can a stock used Z06 for $55K and still have 3 years of warranty left.

I am not knocking the lovefab in any way. It is awesome. I am just saying it is silly to compare a highly modified car to a stock one.

FYI -- you're car looks amazing. No knocking it in any way. I would love to ride in it myself. I think a 600rwhp turbo NSX can probably take out a stock ZR1 too.

So back to what we were talking about --- a 91 NSX to a 2003 Z06.

Last edited:
oh there is no question that a 600whp nsx can take out a stock zr1. but its the warranty and it potentially not driving like a factory car is what kills it, plus it is not cheap.

Congrat on the Vette.
I never owned a Vette before. Recently just Drove a C5 Z06.
I was quited surprised on how nice it felt to me. I am short so it is really hard for me to find a vehicle that fits me comfortably. Funny the Gentleman who ownes the Vette Drove my Turbo NSX and is now trying getting rid of a couple of his toys to purchase my NSX. I would not be embarrass to own any C5 or c6. I dont believe your going to find any Zo6 dropping below 20k any time soon.

anyone want to buy his toys so he could buy mine.
03 Z06 25k
03Cobra supercharged 20K
06 GSX-r 1000 8.5k :biggrin:

Ive driven the C5 Z06 and the C6. Both are excellent cars. The C6 is MUCH better all around, but for the money a C5 is unbeatable.

Now if I could just bring myself to actually buy one and not have to deal with all the older, bald, smoking, mean guys that drive them! :cool:

Hmm... let's look at that for a second.

97 NSX used in great condition is what? $40K? Engine build for the turbo Say $10K Lovefav turbo - $13K. Upgraded Wheels, Brakes and suspension to keep up with your power increase. $10K Upgraded clutch $4K

Now, you have a hell of a car without ANY warranty and if the engine blows, you are looking at $6,500-$10,000++ for a used NA2 motor.

Your cost is now $77K. You can a stock used Z06 for $55K and still have 3 years of warranty left.

I am not knocking the lovefab in any way. It is awesome. I am just saying it is silly to compare a highly modified car to a stock one.

FYI -- you're car looks amazing. No knocking it in any way. I would love to ride in it myself. I think a 600rwhp turbo NSX can probably take out a stock ZR1 too.

So back to what we were talking about --- a 91 NSX to a 2003 Z06.

At the risk of any further hijacking of this thread, my claim never had a price angle to it. Hell, if you want the ultimate HP/dollar value, go buy a 95 Mustang and put a crate motor and race clutch in with 600HP. For $30K, you would have something thing that woould run in the 10's. My NSX guaranteed turns more heads than any Corvette. It has from the day I bought it 9 1/2 years ago and I suspect it will 9 1/2 years from now. Combine the unique appeal and exclusivity of the NSX with the mods that give it incredible performance, and nothing touches it.

At the risk of any further hijacking of this thread, my claim never had a price angle to it. Hell, if you want the ultimate HP/dollar value, go buy a 95 Mustang and put a crate motor and race clutch in with 600HP. For $30K, you would have something thing that woould run in the 10's. My NSX guaranteed turns more heads than any Corvette. It has from the day I bought it 9 1/2 years ago and I suspect it will 9 1/2 years from now. Combine the unique appeal and exclusivity of the NSX with the mods that give it incredible performance, and nothing touches it.

Duffer, you own a NSX. "That one" :biggrin:does not.

You are here because you love your choice. He is here becasue he feels he needs to justify his.

Back on topic:
Jamolah, enjoy your 03' Z06. Anyone would understand you buying such a fine car. You have good taste and a good appreciation for performance cars.
Heck, the Z06 wasn't even around when I bought my NSX. Who knows....:cool:

Last edited:
Duffer, you own a NSX. "That one" :biggrin:does not.

You are here because you love your choice. He is here becasue he feels he needs to justify his.

Back on topic:
Jamolah, enjoy your 03' Z06. Anyone would understand you buying such a fine car. You have good taste and a good appreciation for performance cars.
Heck, the Z06 wasn't even around when I bought my NSX. Who knows....:cool:
Thanks man. Like I've mentioned in other posts, if the prices of NSXs were more reasonable around my area, I'm sure I would have picked up an NA2 (1997 to 1999).

Duffer, if you're going to get into modified cars. Well then I'm sure I can find you a modified Civic, that can beat an NSX, a Z06, heck even a Ferrari. Anything can be modified to go fast, in a straight-line anyway. So let's leave modded cars out of the equation and talk strictly about stock cars (of the showroom floor cars).

But with that said this speaks volumes for the NSX, a design and engineering from almost 20 years ago, is being compared to a car from only 5 years ago. The NSX was truly ahead of it's time.

Thanks man. Like I've mentioned in other posts, if the prices of NSXs were more reasonable around my area, I'm sure I would have picked up an NA2 (1997 to 1999

That said, today I did a day of cruising (time is dwindling away here in the NE) and had so many cars ride up on my butt and rev and try to push me.

The one exception was what looked like a "old" fellow, like me:smile:, in a Red C5 Z06.
The thing was so clean and sweet looking. It had eyeball marks all over it. :biggrin:We gave each other thumbs up (ran into him around town several times) and when he ended up behind me after a traffic light he laid way back to make it clear he was out to cruise not to bruise. I appreciated that.:wink:
It's a real small town and I'm sure I'll meet him. My cousin(http://www.lomotioncorvettes.com) probably sold him the car.

Well, you said "try my LoveFab turbo on for size and you won't consider a C6 Z06." That can only be done with price taken into account. Hell, had lovefab been around when I had my 95, I might be driving one today.

I am sure your car gets 10x the attention the vette does. Both of my NSX's got a lot more than the vette.

Once again, your car is awesome. Enjoy it.

The car is loud inside the cabin. At a meet I saw that some guys have to wear ear plugs so as not to get a headache; this is for a stock car. Unless you already have a hearing loss issue I would proceed with caution, or ware ear plugs.

Tytus

Huh? Heck the stock car ain't that loud at all - it's actually a bit too quiet for my taste. My buddy threw on an aftermarket exhaust and fixed that problem - now it's pretty loud but still bearable until you get in the very upper revs. Can't even hear the supercharger anymore :biggrin:

I've spent lots of time behind the helm of that thing and it is pretty slick, though I'd say it doesn't quite 'coddle' you like an NSX or modern 911 would... it feels light in the nose with a lot of feedback that makes it feel nervous over bumpy roads (well my buddy's Exige S has the factory track suspension) and likely requires a more experienced driver to really shine. Also requires a bit of experience to get in and out of the thing without looking like a complete moron, and agility on the level of Jackie Chan.

Speed wise they're VERY quick off the line but do start to run outta steam at 90+ where aerodynamics come into play. Was chasing that Exige in a big fat DB9 and it left me at low speeds (it's upgraded to 240R engine specs) but I would just reel it back in approaching 100+ mph :smile:

I never ended up driving an NSX, because they are just so rare, especially around my area. But from what I’ve heard and read the steering feel is amazing, especially on the NA1.

Sorry to hear that Jamolah. You bought a car based on printed figures instead of an emotional response. You should have tried driving an NSX - I would have let you take mine out if I'd known. I can't guarantee you'd prefer the NSX, but at least you'd have an opinion based on first-hand experience rather than on horsepower figures. Does it really matter how much power a car has, or is it more important how you feel when you're driving it?

Contrats on the z. I used to own an 2002 zo6. It won't depreciate much, now that the initial depreciation is gone. I bought it used and had mine for 3yrs and added 20k miles and sold it for almost the same price I paid for it.

To the poster who doesn't believe the c5 zo6 can beat the 996 turbo or 997 on the track, believe me it will.

I've owned both. I do prefer the 911 but the 911 understeer at the track and you need a lot of skill to get the back end of the car to work with you. You can even look up track test in road and track, etc where the base c6, which is slower than a c5 z06 is faster than a 996 turbo or 997.

I do prefer the 911 because thr brakes never fade and they don't overheat at the track like a z. The z's brakeas will quickly fade and the transmissions are know to fail and get stuck in 2nd gear if you run them hard at the track

Congrats on your purchase and I'm sure you will enjoy it very much until you actually drive an NSX, since you haven't done so before making your decision.

You are magazine test driving a car by reading the stats performed by a pro driver. Stats don't tell you how the car feels. More importantly, how it feels to an enthusiast driver as opposed to a pro driver. A pro can get great stats out of a Yugo that you couldn't even get close to. So those numbers are meaningless but they do sell cars.

An NSX makes a mortal man feel like he is a pro god because of the way the car feels. I would bet you that if YOU drove the vet and the NSX on the same track on the same day you would post better times in the NSX. That is the real difference between the cars and not the statistice you read. There was an article comparing the 2002 or 04, I can't remember which, to a vet and porche of the same year driven by pros and by a regular guy (magazine editor/journalist) and you know what, the regular guy prefered the NSX and performed better in the NSX than the other two cars. The pros were split on the Vet and Porche and rated the NSX lower, because they are PROS and can make the power advantage in the other cars work for them. Although they both commented how great the NSX feels, they could post better times in the other cars due to the power difference.

Everyone would like to think that if I buy a car the pros like I will be able to emulate them. Trust me, that is not the case. And in everyday driving on mountain roads you need to feel secure, which is what the NSX offers.

Enjoy your car but don't drive an NSX as it will spoil it for you. I have read many testimonials on this forum confirming this. The feeling to price ratio of the NSX is off the charts.

After a while find an NSX and drive it, you'll see...

Tytus

The article you are referring to was in road and track. The non racer/editor, mike monticello prefered the nsx over the 911 or zo6. However the more experienced drivers were much faster with the z06 and 911. Mike monticello stated that the nsx gave him more confidence and would be a better car to take a girl out on a date with.

Z06 values have been relatively stable since 2003. Depreciation is minimal now that they are in the 25k to 30' range. Mine was totally reiable, never had a problem. Good luck with you z, enjoy.

The article you are referring to was in road and track. The non racer/editor, mike monticello prefered the nsx over the 911 or zo6. However the more experienced drivers were much faster with the z06 and 911. Mike monticello stated that the nsx gave him more confidence and would be a better car to take a girl out on a date with.

Z06 values have been relatively stable since 2003. Depreciation is minimal now that they are in the 25k to 30' range. Mine was totally reiable, never had a problem. Good luck with you z, enjoy.

Thanks Goalie, so do you own an NSX now?

I never ended up driving an NSX, because they are just so rare, especially around my area. But from what I’ve heard and read the steering feel is amazing, especially on the NA1.
It’s surprising you say the NSX is faster in corners, from the homework I’ve done on both cars the C5Z06 corners better. Although what doesn’t help is the amount of torque coupled with vague steering feeling, it gives the impression the car isn’t as stable. Compare that with the NSX, which has a lot less torque and a lot better steering feel, I think that’s why you might think / feel the NSX is more stable in corners. But once you start getting use to it, the C5Z06 is amazing. I’m still trying to come to grips with the torque (in corners), and I think it’ll take me a while, there’s just so much of it.

I believe strongly that after driving an nsx you would have never questioned the cars abilities and performance...on paper its lacking hp but when you drive it you wont be upset, atleast not in its day.

I believe strongly that after driving an nsx you would have never questioned the cars abilities and performance...on paper its lacking hp but when you drive it you wont be upset, atleast not in its day.

I think it is funny how most people on here say you have to drive the NSX and then you will see... when I would bet at least 50% of the people giving you the advice have never driven a C5 Z06 or any corvette for that matter. (not aimed at anyone in particular) They will certainly trash a corvette all day long with no experience with the car. The same way a vette forum would trash a NSX actually.

After he has driven a Z06 for a while, the NSX is going to feel slow. No question about it. The two cars are not in the same league in straight line performance. The biggest difference you will notice is the lack of TQ. The NSX will rarely push you back in your seat and certainly nothing like the Z06.

That being said, I think the NSX is a better car to drive than a Z06 in every other way. I drove a C5Z06 and honestly didn't like it very much. The Z06 was SCARY fast... but I was happy to get back in the NSX.

Last edited:
No reason you can't have both. :smile:

I won't dispute performance, I'll leave that to more knowledgable opinions. However, in 15 years I've seen an NSX on the road maybe 10 times (excluding NSX events). I see that many corvettes when I drive 6 miles to work in the morning.

One thing is for sure the C5 z06 is popular on the track, I hope you try it out there too.

s. However, in 15 years I've seen an NSX on the road maybe 10 times (excluding NSX events). I see that many corvettes when I drive 6 miles to work in the morning.

There are more vettes made in a year than the TOTAL production run of NSX's. If your reason for buying a car is exclusivity, the vette is certainly not the car for you. There are 3 vettes in my freaking parking garage.

Even counting the Montreal GrandPrix Weekend. I've only seen a total of, what, 8 to 10 NSXs in 13 or so years.

As NetViper said, if you want exclusivity don't get a Corvette, especially a C5. Even in my city (which is not known for sports cars), you could see a Corvette every other day, in Summer. Where as, you could go years without seeing an NSX.

Back