• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Management System question??

Hello All,
I have a '95 that had every Comptech upgrade but supercharger done back in 95-96. I have the car in the dealership now for bad ignition switch (EPS light also on) and probable bad battery. My mechanic said the car is running rich(does smell funny after turning her off) and that she should be running the rpm's higher than she is. The question he had was what engine management system does the car have as he said it would not be OEM?? Any input?? I think the car runs fine but if it is running "rich" what can or should be done?? The guys at CT Engineering said to put her on a dyno and that they did modify the OEM units back then.
Thanks.

When I visited Comptech in the summer of 1996 they were in the process of developing the supercharger. I doubt they brought the fuel pressure regulator out before the supercharger so I’d guess you don’t have a Comptech fuel pressure regulator in your car.

In 1995 and 1996 Comptech offered a porting and polishing service for cylinder heads, higher lift camshafts, headers, etc. and a “sports” engine management chip for the PGM-FI. If you remove two of the panels on your rear firewall and the couple of screws that hold down the cover of the engine management system, you should be able to see of you have a Comptech chip in there or not.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.

Greenberet-That sounds like the work that was done on the car and it was late !997 now that I look at the receipts in more detail. I'll pass this info on to my mechanic. This was Tom Barrasso's car the Pittsburgh Penguin goalie. I am the fifth owner. Cars had a lot of work and maintenance through the years-$60,000 worth.

I think the car drives fine does smell different near the exhaust-took it in because I couldn't start it consistently and the EPS light was on(had a new EPS unit in 2004). The ignition switch was bad and battery was charging at 16 volts with a corroded terminal.

Kicking the idea of a supercharger/twin turbocharger around........

Back