• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS light and steering

I'm looking for a fix every time I go all out full throttle through most of the gears my power steering goes out and I need to pull the fuse to reset. Is there a fix for this? AEM EMS 3.5L stoker with 2.9L SC/IC 510RWHP.
Thanks Ken

As far as I know there is no connection between the EPS and the ECU but I do think there is a circuit with the EPS and the traction control. Do you have traction control entered into your AEM? I don't think series 1 AEM's have that ability but Series 2 do.

By the way, the EPS cuts out with all assist over 25 mph so it is more a pain in the butt that you have to reset it. Does it ever go out when driving below WOT?

I did check the traction control unit last night it is disconnected so I just don’t know why it trips. I tried calling Shad but he is moving. The AEM EMS series 2 is from SOS and it seems they have a fix for everything.

They might have a fix for everything but calibrating the traction control on EMS takes more time than tuning for boost. Therefore a lot of tuners don't bother with it. I would be very surprised if it was calibrated in the first place.

If you have someone local that you could swap out the EPS brain box behind the glove box, that might eliminate one more component. I know there was a TSB years ago to replace it depending on the vintage of your car. If this has not been done, you should be able to go the dealer to get that fixed. If not, there are a couple of people on the forum who can fix these (D1Guy and BrianK). I would go there first before having to take down the rack and get the EPS module redone. Please let us know your next step in the process.

They might have a fix for everything but calibrating the traction control on EMS takes more time than tuning for boost. Therefore a lot of tuners don't bother with it. I would be very surprised if it was calibrated in the first place.

This is what Cody at Lovefab told me too... I reconnected the TCS after BrianK repaired my EPS unit, and it works AWESOME! Still have intermittent CELs that are fixed by restarting the car.
Good luck!

Using the AEM Series 2 from SOS, the traction control is via the stock ECU, not the AEM unit. The AEM unit actually functions more like a "piggy back" vs a true standalone since the stock ECU controls the idle as well as the throttle position. I think this is where people are getting confused. In regards to your issues, not sure where the issues lie since I had the same Comptech 3.5 stroker from Driving Ambition but I was using a turbo with the same SOS modified AEM Series 2. No issues like you describe but it was relatively finicky with the idle and stalling with deceleration. Working right now on getting the AEM Infinity to work.

Using the AEM Series 2 from SOS, the traction control is via the stock ECU, not the AEM unit. The AEM unit actually functions more like a "piggy back" vs a true standalone since the stock ECU controls the idle as well as the throttle position. I think this is where people are getting confused. In regards to your issues, not sure where the issues lie since I had the same Comptech 3.5 stroker from Driving Ambition but I was using a turbo with the same SOS modified AEM Series 2. No issues like you describe but it was relatively finicky with the idle and stalling with deceleration. Working right now on getting the AEM Infinity to work.

Maybe its the tires setting this off I run 305-18-35 rears. Could be the ATS 4:23 carbon rear. I just dont know. But since I have no traction control hooked up there must be something else setting it off. Thanks

Ken - if you run too much of a stagger between front and rear wheels/tires, I believe that will trip up the TC too.

Jorligan - The problem with idle and stalling under deceleration are separate issues. The idle issue is a factor of running larger injectors. Most folks who are running 750's or larger will have trouble getting a smooth idle. As to the stalling under idle, this could be a function of the throttle body and the drive by wire system. My work around was instead of wiring the AEM Series II to the DBW, I had it run directly to the pedal and I have not had an issue since.

Ken - if you run too much of a stagger between front and rear wheels/tires, I believe that will trip up the TC too.

Jorligan - The problem with idle and stalling under deceleration are separate issues. The idle issue is a factor of running larger injectors. Most folks who are running 750's or larger will have trouble getting a smooth idle. As to the stalling under idle, this could be a function of the throttle body and the drive by wire system. My work around was instead of wiring the AEM Series II to the DBW, I had it run directly to the pedal and I have not had an issue since.

How did you run the AEM Series II since it does NOT support DBW unless you changed your car over to non-DBW which I know that Devin from AEM had done to his NSX. Couple of others have also performed this change and ran both the AEM series 1 and Series 2 with no issues. The SOS modified AEM unit relies upon the stock ECU to provide the idle and the signal for throttle position. Actually, the idle and stalling are similar issues. A major cause of both is not the injector size since the modified ECU addresses the different injectors but a dirty air injection. The modified cars seem to MUCH more sensitive to trivial contamination in the air injection as compared to the stock non-modified engine. The cars can be made to run and idle smoothly (Mine did just fine with both my 3.2 and 3.5 motors but you did have to regularly clean the passages). The 3.2 motor was with the FIC and had perfect idle and no stalling, had TC and ran well. The 3.5 motor was with the modified SOS Series 2 and again no issues but no traction control. The AEM Infinity is the first AEM unit to support DBW but it does not support the NSX throttle body. My current build is to use the AEM Infinity as a true standalone and completely delete the factory ECU. I will lose the factory TC but honestly, it really doesn't work that well and hopefully, the TC in the AEM unit will be more effective. And yes, I know that ALOT of the stalling under deceleration is because of the lightened flywheel but it wasn't an issue using the stock ECU alone or with the stock ECU with FIC, only the stock ECU with the modified Series 2. I have the carbon-carbon twin in my car with turbo running anywhere from 480 to > 700 RWHP depending on motor and boost.

Ken, What is the ratio of front to rear? If I remember correctly, the incorrect ration will also set it off as previously stated. This may independent of the TC and be related to the ECU. Working on the AEM Infinity which will be plug and tune with a base tune so this may solve the issue. Will keep you informed.

I do have the TBW and AEM2 from SOS & Shad @DA. The car has no other issues with stalling and so on. Tires are 235 35 17 front and 305 35 18 rear.
The Injectors are 1000CC and the Comptech air box is always clean. This only happens under full throttle and usally in 3rd or 4th gear.
Thanks

Tires are 235 35 17 front and 305 35 18 rear.
That (R-F):F ratio of 12.5% would be a problem generally (you have a '94-'01, right?) but if you have TCS disconnected then one would think tire size is irrelevant. I believe the individual wheel-speed sensors go to the ABS module, which interprets the analog signal and sends a 5V-pulse signal for each to the TCS, but not to the ECU.

Back