• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

EXHAUST Dilema !!!!

Ok,I have a narrowed it to Comptech and TAITEC GT Competition Exhaust,. I have read various opinions for both but can you guys help me with a couple questions -
What are the differences besides comptech being more expensive??

I am really interested in the difference in -
Sound, power, length of time for delivery and install. Any help would be great
Thanks

[This message has been edited by NSXIFIED (edited 07 October 2001).]

Well, some of the differences are sound, power, length of time for delivery and install. :-)

Well, install is about the same, but one difference you didn't manage to get on your own is weight savings and appearance.

If it were my money, I'd go with Taitec... perhaps Chris Wilson can chime in with all the reasons why.

EDR

Thanks, but could you be more specific, do u know what the sound difference is :-)
Originally posted by erobbins:
Well, some of the differences are sound, power, length of time for delivery and install. :-)

Well, install is about the same, but one difference you didn't manage to get on your own is weight savings and appearance.

If it were my money, I'd go with Taitec... perhaps Chris Wilson can chime in with all the reasons why.

EDR

You forgot to consider quality. Japanese products usually are better quality than US stuff. No flames
smile.gif

for sound, I believe SoS has some sound clips on its site.

As mentioned above, if it were my money, I'd get Taitec. It's cheaper, better build quality, and it's not as common as Comptechs exhaust.

You should do a search for kenji's topic regarding his, and others, impression of the Taitec GT exhaust. They loved it, and said it sounds different than the rest.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

I have the comptech and love it. Numerous people have asked me what it was after hearing me blow by on the front straight at thunderhill at 130 mph. It does not sound nearly as "tinny" as others I have heard.

That said, the Taitec sounds great as well. I first heard it on "kenji"'s car and was very impressed, although I think it may have been a bit louder than the comptech - so it depends on what you want.

Frankly, I dont think you can go wrong with either. As far as quality goes, I have had NO problems with the ctech.

Both exhausts have excellent build quality. In fact, I can easily say that the Comptech unit features the best build quality of the American-built exhausts.

There are many sound files up now. Search for GT Parallel by clicking the search link above. The sound of the newer GT Competition is very similar, just a hair louder and beefier.

The GT Competition compared to the Comptech exhausts features significantly less weight, significantly lower price, and IMO a better sound.

Quality of sound is in the 'ear of the beholder' ;-) The exhaust will be at NSXPO both off and on a car. We'll try to get some good recordings there.

Owners of GT exhausts can testify to the sound. The note starts subtle. At idle, the note is subdued, yet noticeable lower pitched. Up until about 3-4k RPM this note slightly increases in volume. This allows you to roll around town with out grabbing undue attention. At VTEC though, WATCH OUT! The note transforms into a beautiful sound that is hard to describe with text. The note is almost like a combination of a low pitched growl with high pitched Ferrari-esque wail. It lets some of the mechanical engine tones out, which really gives it a nice edge.

Tim Meekins and Kenji have contributed good reviews in the vendor forum.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

My Taitec Comp GT Exhaust is being installed this Thursday morning. I will let you know what I think of the sound, then. I can tell you the quality is is very nice.

More to come.

------------------
Live Free or Die

If I could add my two cents, I say get the Taitec Exhaust, its one of the most beautiful exhausts I have seen available here in the states, next to the now discontined Spoon exhaust, get the Taitec!

I got to be honest here- the comptech exhaust sounds like the stock exhaust to me. In fact, we drove an NSX with the comptech resonated tips for 2,000 miles before we realized it had an aftermarket exhaust on it.

The taitec center exit is mean. I love it. I think I'm going to end up getting the parallel exit from Chris at SOS here shortly when I start on the performance stuff. The RM exhaust I'm also partial to. On a recent club drive I heard the thing from a quarter of a mile away on the highway.

I'm really into the sound of CART/INDY cars more than the Ferrari's myself thou- so it is all in what you are into I guess...

Originally posted by Saturn:
Just curious, what's the difference between the Finistar (from Dali) and the RM exhaust?

Louder or quieter, finish, etc?

Finstar is quieter than RM. It is also machine welded while the RM is hand welded. Just a slightly different look. I don't know about weight comparison between the two.

My Taitec GT Competition Exhaust was installed today. It took a 1/2 hour and cost me $30.00 (MY tech did it!!)

I have waited a long while (3.5 years) looking for the right exhaust. I am glad I purchased this one. The system provides a very refined, high quality sound, through the gears. At idle it is a bit more throaty than my 95's OEM exhaust.

At 6000 and above it sounds great and is not annoying. This system does not drone like many others I have heard. The quality is excellent.

If any of you NorthEast guys would like to check it out let me know. I don't know if anyone else in the East has this system installed yet.

I'll post some pic's at www.nsxuppereast.com soon.

------------------
Live Free or Die

Rich,

I would love to hear the exhaust.. I'm constantly salivating at the prospect of
adding this exhaust to my car but it will
have to wait until next year... you going
to come down to Boston anytime soon??

Rob

The Taitec is 11.5 pounds less than the Comptech and 16.6 lbs less the the 95 + stock exhaust and even more on the pre 91-94 exhaust based on info on the Science of Speed site.

If the whether holds up I am always out roaming around. I am southern NH (Windham) if you want to take a fall cruise. Otherwise, I am in and out of Boston and many surrounding areas all the time. Contact me at:[email protected]
Rich

------------------
Live Free or Die

Back