• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Extreme Horrific NJ toll crash

I don't know guys. Maybe the driver of the car in this crash wanted to commit suicide. Going that fast for such a distance while having a seizure sounds suspicous to me.

What I don't understand is this... ask ANYONE who has seizures, and they will tell you they ALWAYS get an "Aura" before it happens (a sense of the seizure coming on). If he was driving and about to have a seizure, why not pull over? :confused:

the dude was using his easy pass....:biggrin:

What I don't understand is this... ask ANYONE who has seizures, and they will tell you they ALWAYS get an "Aura" before it happens (a sense of the seizure coming on). If he was driving and about to have a seizure, why not pull over? :confused:

No, that is not true. Although there can be some symptoms or indications that a seizure may be coming, many seizures happen *instantly*, or within seconds of any 'symptoms'. Even if you have symptoms, if you're driving, it can be impossible to pull over in time ( 3 - 5 seconds or less, and the person is often disoriented and panicking as they are actually having the seizure – it is just the beginning of it..)

With that said, there is very good medication and treatment these days that can make seizures virtually free in many cases. There are patients that have been seizure-free for years with proper treatment. There are also varying levels of seizure - it could occur from anything like extreme dehydration, drug/alcohol overdose or a general abnormal brain disorder ranging from mild ( very close to zero seizures with proper medication ) to extreme (multiple seizures per week...). Also they can be local (like arm twitch or extreme stuttering, to complete unconsciousness or 'grand mal'.. with is what happened here..) They can last a few seconds ('small', temporal) to a few minutes or multiple seizures where the person doesn't gain copiousness or ability to function for minutes to hours, to days after that...

The law (at least in Washington) is 6 months for 'having gone unconscious' (including and not including seizure) because there are varying levels of the disorder and varying treatment that works well and 6 months is a good indicator whether the medication/treatment works well. Missing on medication does not necessarily result in a seizure immediately because the way the medication (generally..) works has to do with the amount of the medication in the blood (over a threshold), which doesn't drop drastically over one, even 2 days (again depending on the condition and seriousness level....)

What appears to have happened here is.. the person didn't take it seriously or understand it properly. He just had a seizure previously, which means either this is a new condition and it commonly happens that they are in denial. Alternatively, he could have been irresponsible and ignored the previous seizure...

Nonetheless, I wouldn't throw any stones because one just doesn't know...this is a sad tragedy. I have a close friend that deals with this for quite a long time but it is manageable for him. It is a condition that is hard to grapple with for the patient, particularly in a very mobile society and it often takes time and experience before the patient takes it 100% serious. They are often in denail.... Nonetheless, with proper care and responsibility, it can be very manageable.

Last edited:
Poor guy either way! BTW where is the cat thread!

Cheers,

AR

UPDATE: Re: Extreme Horrific NJ toll crash

(all legal mumbo jumbo applies)
N.J. Sues YouTube over Deadly Crash Footage Discussion at PhysOrgForum
YouTube

The New Jersey Turnpike Authority is suing several video sites, including YouTube, for infringing on the copyright of car crash footage recorded on the turnpike.

The footage in question was recorded by a NJTA video camera. The video depicts a car traveling southbound on the New Jersey Turnpike and crashing into the Great Egg Harbor toll plaza on May 10. The driver, a 52-year-old New Jersey resident, was killed.

The NJTA is also suing NextPoint LLC, the owner of video-sharing site break.com. The complaint names UK-based LiveLeak.com as a defendant as well, though according to LiveLeak the NJTA has voluntarily removed them from the lawsuit after they removed the video.

The NJTA is suing for direct copyright infringement by public performance, public display and reproduction, as well as inducement, contributory and vicarious copyright infringement.

"The video serves no worthwhile purpose and shows a tremendous lack of common human decency towards the family of the victim," the complaint reads. "Nevertheless, defendants have either refused or failed to remove the video from their Web sites."

According to the complaint, the NJTA requested the video's removal from YouTube upon learning of its existence. YouTube complied, but the video had already been copied by other users and remains on the site.

"YouTube did not try to prevent the very same video from being uploaded again by users immediately after it was purportedly removed," the complaint reads.

A Youtube spokesperson said the company removed the video "because it violated our terms of services. Because our removal also complied with our obligations under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, we see no legal basis for a claim." Last month Google CEO Eric Schmidt said YouTube would soon launch an automated system that would help copyright holders detect and deter abuse.

LiveLeak removed the video after receiving a formal court request, according to co-founder Hayden Hewitt.

Hewitt said the lawsuit is guaranteed to bring more publicity to the video.

"To be honest I think it's kind of a strange situation," he said. "Usually you just file a nice, low level, discrete DMCA takedown...And usually these lawsuits are around entertainment video, where there's a financial stake. I don't understand it."

According to the complaint, the offending video has been viewed 19,833 times on YouTube, 189,037 times on LiveLeak.com and 6,933 times on break.com as of May 21. Less than 24 hours later, on May 22, the videos had been viewed 24,346 times, 213,295 times and 16,812 times, respectively.

The NJTA also is suing unnamed corporations and individuals who may have helped distribute the stolen video.

Copyright 2007 by Ziff Davis Media, Distributed by United Press International

<div align="center"><span id="garden-state-parkway-toll-booth-crash"></span><script type="text/javascript" src="http://clipaday.com/ufo.js"></script><script type="text/javascript"> var FO_285 = {movie:"http://clipaday.com/flvplayer.swf",width:"425",height:"350",majorversion:"7",build:"0",bgcolor:"#FFFFFF",allowfullscreen:"true",flashvars:"file=http://media1.clipaday.com/embed/m_videos/booth_crash_7hg3.flv.flv&image=http://media1.clipaday.com/embed/m_videos/thumbs/booth_crash_7hg3.jpg&lightcolor=0xF6C230&backcolor=0x000000&frontcolor=0xCCCCCC&logo=http://clipaday.com/images/playerlogo.png&link=http://clipaday.com" };UFO.create(FO_285,"garden-state-parkway-toll-booth-crash");</script></div>

Yep... still there!

njtahead3.gif

big bad draconian authority gonna getcha comtec...:rolleyes:
we want our cat thread back... i got the pix if you want...:biggrin:

You can see what looks like a body flying out the windshield and into the freeway beyond the toll booth right at the impact.... pretty sad

njtahead3.gif

big bad draconian authority gonna getcha comtec...:rolleyes:
we want our cat thread back... i got the pix if you want...:biggrin:

Well now, I guess they will just have to get in line. They are at the bottom of the list. :wink:

You want a cat thread, here you go. :biggrin:

"shows a tremendous lack of common human decency towards the family of the victim"

Pretty much sums up this post, the cat post, and most of the new threads around. To the Jerry Springer rejects that think this is entertainment I wonder if someone in your family is video taped dying or in terrible misery you won't mind the YouTube generation having a break and a laugh at their expense and misfortune?

I need to understand what went so terribly wrong with some people that they have no empathy at all for anyone but themselves. I have 3 kids to raise and this flippant attitude and callous indifference must be avoided.

:mad: :eek: :frown:

Pretty much sums up this post, the cat post, and most of the new threads around. To the Jerry Springer rejects that think this is entertainment I wonder if someone in your family is video taped dying or in terrible misery you won't mind the YouTube generation having a break and a laugh at their expense and misfortune?

In the first place, it's called "curiosity"... which is NORMAL! Have you never slowed down to look at an accident? Even if you don't slow down, I'm sure you don't just look straight ahead as you drive by...

In the second place, nobody is "laughing" at this video. From my understanding, the OP posted this vid BEFORE the story came out, and it was under the assumption it was a pursuit.

Yes it is unfortunate that in this day and age, most families have to worry about their loved ones death ending up on the internet, but it is now a fact of life. With the good comes the bad, and we all love technology, but sometimes it unleashes things nobody could have seen. So just relax and accept the fact that just because people are making a spectacle of the video, does NOT mean they are pointing and laughing... :wink:

You can see what looks like a body flying out the windshield and into the freeway beyond the toll booth right at the impact.... pretty sad

That must have been part of the toll booth that went flying. The guy died IN the car, with massive burns.

:mad: :eek: :frown:

Sorry, but i have never seen springer's show and i am not the youtube generation. I did not think this was funny.
I remember one episode of cops where they were chasing a pickup truck with a stolen lawnmower in the back. If i remember correctly the driver was a 16 year old boy and the passenger was a 14-15 year old girl. They exited the freeway with the cop (camera) right behind them. When they reached the intersection at the bottom of the ramp they never stopped and were broad sided by a semi going about 50. He (semi) didn't even have a chance to hit his brakes untill after the impact. The pickup was totally destroyed. These two kids lost their lives and the accident was broadcast on nation television. The camera was only about 40-50 feet behind the truck and that was one of the worse accidents i have ever seen.

So just lighten up a little bit.

That must have been part of the toll booth that went flying. The guy died IN the car, with massive burns.
I think that may have been the front wheel.They have a tendency to snap off on impact and keep going forward. I knew someone that hit a pole at about 70 and his wheel went about 1/4 mile down the road. He had two girls in the passenger side bucket seat and none of them got hurt. The pole cut the car in half just behind the front seats. If one of the girls had been in the back seat she would have been killed.

Last edited:
Sorry, but i have never seen springer's show and i am not the youtube generation. I did not think this was funny.
I remember one episode of cops where they were chasing a pickup truck with a stolen lawnmower in the back. If i remember correctly the driver was a 16 year old boy and the passenger was a 14-15 year old girl. They exited the freeway with the cop (camera) right behind them. When they reached the intersection at the bottom of the ramp they never stopped and were broad sided by a semi going about 50. He (semi) didn't even have a chance to hit his brakes untill after the impact. The pickup was totally destroyed. These two kids lost their lives and the accident was broadcast on nation television. The camera was only about 40-50 feet behind the truck and that was one of the worse accidents i have ever seen.

So just lighten up a little bit.
It was a stolen BBQ in the back of a GMC Syclone. That noted I totally agree with your comments regarding the crap we see now on a daily basis. YouTube has taken it to the next extreme. I feel sorry for our society with the evolvement and desire to support viewing of material like this. Profiterring at others expense.

In the first place, it's called "curiosity"... which is NORMAL! Have you never slowed down to look at an accident? Even if you don't slow down, I'm sure you don't just look straight ahead as you drive by...

In the second place, nobody is "laughing" at this video. From my understanding, the OP posted this vid BEFORE the story came out, and it was under the assumption it was a pursuit.

Yes it is unfortunate that in this day and age, most families have to worry about their loved ones death ending up on the internet, but it is now a fact of life. With the good comes the bad, and we all love technology, but sometimes it unleashes things nobody could have seen. So just relax and accept the fact that just because people are making a spectacle of the video, does NOT mean they are pointing and laughing... :wink:

Agreeing with you, but would like to add (or emphasize) that the challenge is on the individual(s). Just as it woudl be extremely disrespectful to come to a scene of an accident, laugh and point, we (internet community) should refrain from doing the same, or make statements such as to "how stupid..." and call those out that do. Might be a unrealistic mission, but nonetheless, it's the responsible thing to do.

I was not prepared for that. Was the driver flung out the front window? Shocked at the people who didn't stop. Doesn't give you much faith in people.:redface:

But some jackass who drives around knowing he has siezures (maybe because he's too lazy to take his meds?) I won't shed any tears over.

Ditto here. There are ass hats out there that make excuses about why they dont like to take their meds, or flat out lie to doctors and get "second opinions" to get a cleared to drive. I feel for the family, but for the driver, good riddance and I'm just happy he didnt take anyone with him. There is no excuse for this kind of crap.

A little perspective here please. If this sort of stuff bothers you - then don't look at it. Scolding others for viewing it is ridiculous. From a morality standpoint - yeah, things have changed. For the better? I'd argue that that is subjective. But I can't see where admonishing others over it is a constructive activity. Clearly - opinions are valid and welcome. Try it without the better-than-thou attitude.

Last edited:
Back