• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 2009 megathread

Re: Rules & Details

......... Bernie had implied early in the year that he would bend the rules to help Brawn make the series this year, and maybe he would have if that brat Briatore hadn't been such a whiner. I think I've just become a Flaming Flavio hater. :wink:

Dont forget that the fat italian also has part ownership of a UK football (soccer) team with the poisioned dwarf, so plenty of time to bend his ear into not paying ....

Ferrari is working on their new rear diffuser design...

20080924210732_15549204ff9db4.jpg

Re: Well, any fool can see........

what their problem is; clearly not enough downforce with that diffuser. The back end is twitchy and trying to step out. And I'm sure the Kimster has taken it out for a few shakedown laps...........:tongue:

But, OTOH, the ride height looks good. And I wouldn't mess with toe or camber either. But now the bump steer; that's another matter !!!:wink:

Brawn GP 1-2 again!! WooHooo!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Great start by Rubinho!
Congrats to Button, Barichello, Brawn and the rest of the team!

Now off to get some breakfast.

I can't help but feel Rubens got hosed by Button's "change in strategy." It seems to me the change in stratgegy was slowing Rubens instead of quickening Button. Looks to me Brawn has decided who their #1 driver is, and I'm fine with a #1 and a #2.

Miner

LOL! :D :D :D Maybe that's why Niki Lauda called the actual Ferrari performance a result of a 'spaghetti culture'. :)

Very interesting strategy for Ferrari (yesterday Kimi) and today for Massa:confused:

Very nice understatement! These were two stupid errors, bad decisions, one for each driver, in one race?! Well done, guys! Congrats! Good joke! :D Maybe MSC should not have showed up at the race. :tongue: :D

Sorry for being a little bit sarcastic. :tongue:

Oh, before I forget: Well done Brawn. Rubinho should have won the race IMO. His strategy was perfect and he would have won the race if he didn't have a slow second stint. :confused: Some people already discussed if this was championship tactics. Oh, no! Please, not again! Let the faster one win!

Last edited:
It is natural for people to talk $..T about Brawn strategy. The bottom line is, Button won and Ruby did not have to make way for him during corner of the last lap. It is unfortunate for Rubens but that's the way it is. I like him and like to see him back to winning some races, but he seems to have very bad timing every single season.

As Ross Brawn said it best: It is natural for some one to question the result of second place finish when he is set up to win the race; if Rubens did not complaint at the end of the race for finishing second, he shouldn't be on the team. That shows Rubens still want to win.

Unfortunately, team mate wars has always been an issue when both drivers are competitive. Rubens time is running out and Jenson still have time, but no one will give up the chance to win at any age. It's racing, not courtesy drive.

Regardless, Brawn is locking up both championship, I like it.

Re: And the dream continues...........

Button has 41 of a possible 45 maximum points. Brawn continues to demonstrate they are the complete package; car, driver, strategy and execution.

But the rest are making it too easy for the Bees.

Ferrari: getting the car; a laughing stock on strategy
Red Bull; have the car; lacking some strategy and Vettel is not looking too aggressive as he can't find his way past slower cars.
Toyota and Williams; had the car, don't know if they do any more. Drivers and strategy are not making up for the shortcomings.
McLaren; can't find their ass with both hands. So bad even Hamo makes little difference.
BMW: execution? mounting the tires on the wrong side in Q.......enough said.

As for Ruby, I choose not to second guess the team and look for conscious favortism in the team; it's probably subconsciously unavoidable, but it's not obvious yet. With the hard tires not being the favorite for most teams, a 3 stop strategy maximizes softs and made some sense.

Congrats to the Bees. Quali and race both went off great, especially with the Q3 drama as Button squeaked by start finish for his flying lap with 2 seconds left on the ticker, and then pulled out a blazing 3rd sector. Fantastic stuff!!

All that said, I have to ask: is anyone else getting a little "tired" of the Brawn dominance? Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for them all the way, but I actually believe it takes a little something away from JB and RB when they are overly dominant. If you recall Flavio's attack on JB's legitimacy, I have to wonder who else is thinking the same thing? If the Brawn car is so good that they are this dominant, does it mean any fool could drive it to victory?

I actually doubt that's the case myself... JB has been showing off some good skills and good consistency this season, but it seems that the naysayers can too easily dismiss his success as only the car.

Brawn himself made some nice comments about JB here:
http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45828

But the point remains. I doubt many believe JB is the best on the grid, but if he runs away with this thing as he is doing so far, it says more about the car (and strategy, etc...) than it does about his driving skills.

I'd also like to see the success spread around the grid a bit just to liven up the story line. In the last few years, we've been blessed with some extremely close championship battles which has greatly increased the drama and excitement as the season unfolds. At the rate things are going now, the championship will be wrapped up in a couple months and that'll be just plain boring.

It is natural for people to talk $..T about Brawn strategy.

+1. There was a good reason for Brawn doing a short first stop for Rubens because he started his 2nd stint right before another fast car (Rosberg or Alonso, don't know). If he would have serviced longer he would have been held up by this car for 3 three laps or more as the Brawns were early pit stoppers. In the first half of the second stint the tactics looked right as Rubens was pulling away from Jenson but for reasons only Rubens knows he couldn't drive faster in the second half of this stint. He should (under normal conditions, lighter car, fresher tires) have come close to Jenson but he didn't. That's where he lost the race. If he would have been close to the top group as a 3 stopper he would have had 3 or 4 laps more to go, enough to win the race. So it was more than surprising that he came in so early for his second pitstop.
I believe Rubens words that he doesn't wear no. 2 anymore as he did for Ferrari. He's in his last laps of his career and doesn't have to do that anymore. He's more racing for fun and for wins than for tactics. I believe he can quit F1 anytime and even sooner if he has to cope with a no. 2 status.

Rubinho should have won the race IMO. His strategy was perfect and he would have won the race if he didn't have a slow second stint. :confused: Some people already discussed if this was championship tactics. Oh, no! Please, not again! Let the faster one win!

Rubens' second stint was slow as hell. Even with more fuel Jense was quicker by several tenths and that's where Rubens lost out. Jense winning the Spanish GP was of his own effort and out driving his teammate.

If Fezza doesn't come back on fire for the next couple of races with some tangible results, some heads are going to roll...

Re: And the dream continues...........

In my opinion, the three stop strategy was a clever way by Brawn to no have to give any obvious orders to RB. The fact remains that JB had won 3/4 races and was leading in the driver's championship and I suspect every team would engineer it so that the driver who was leading won the race. The three stop strategy doesn't make sense in light of the following:

-Towards the end of the post race press conference where JB and RB smirked and make some comments to each other that seemed to indicate that the story they just told went down well.
-JB's kind of apology over the radio at the end of the race to Rubens.
-If I'm not mistaken, none of the other cars who were competitive were on a 3 stop strategy.

I agree with Brawn's comments that Rubens lost the race by not making time in the second stint, but we don't know how hard he was pushing. His car was very strong, stronger than Button's in the opening stint (since he was slightly heavier and running slightly quicker). I suspect he wasn't flat out in the second stint like he was in the first. The bottom line is even if he was giving up the spot, he was giving it up because JB had outperformed him in the first 4 races and was leading the driver's championship. If he performed better than JB, then he would be the one getting the benefits.

But the rest are making it too easy for the Bees.

Ferrari: getting the car; a laughing stock on strategy
Red Bull; have the car; lacking some strategy and Vettel is not looking too aggressive as he can't find his way past slower cars.
Toyota and Williams; had the car, don't know if they do any more. Drivers and strategy are not making up for the shortcomings.
McLaren; can't find their ass with both hands. So bad even Hamo makes little difference.
BMW: execution? mounting the tires on the wrong side in Q.......enough said.

Agree 100% with this assessment. If I were the boss of the Ferrari team, there would have to be changes. They are complacent and still expect just to show up and win, and that type of attitude is unsustainable. There is the Q3 issue which happened twice now, and Massa almost running out of fuel, and the reliability issues.

Vettel has been disappointing when confronted with having to get around someone, he isn't able to do it. Granted, in the Spanish GP he had to get around Massa who had KERS and what appears to be a very much improved car, but still, that is what it takes to get on the podium.

Pretty good race for Alonso, Massa was much more competitive (at least until he ran out of gas), nobody else much stood out from where they have been running previously.

Re: the rest of the season

I'd also like to see the success spread around the grid a bit just to liven up the story line. In the last few years, we've been blessed with some extremely close championship battles which has greatly increased the drama and excitement as the season unfolds. At the rate things are going now, the championship will be wrapped up in a couple months and that'll be just plain boring.
Well, that's probably going to be the case for the casual fan. But I think for some of us, the cars will be more evenly matched as the season progresses, and the drama will still unfold each week/race.

Right now the drivers are minor parts of the equation but they should be able to do more on their own if (when) the playing field is more leveled by the big names finally catching up in the design department and stop making dumb mistakes. The championship may be out of reach by the time they do, but we'll still see some great racing for 2nd, 3rd because that's still important to all the teams.

Good article from Autosport on how Rubens lost P1:

Dodgy Business: How Barrichello lost in Spain

Rubens Barrichello looked set for his first victory of the season at the Spanish Grand Prix. In the end, however, the Brazilian was beaten by team-mate Jenson Button. Tony Dodgins analyses how Barrichello lost out.

Unclip the padding, climb out, cursory wave, onto the scales, helmet and HANS off, up the stairs to the podium holding room, swig of water, watch back on, quick ruffle for what's left of the hair, polite acknowledgements for Jenson and Mark. Everything routine but Barrichello's face gave him away. That one was supposed to be his.

Before Barcelona, someone who knows told me that the smart money would be on Rubens. The Circuit de Catalunya is home from home for an F1 driver, so frequently do they test there. And Rubens is very good there, normally quicker than Jenson. He's very good in the fast Turn 3, through T9 and under braking for T10. The place suits his style.

And so Rubens was visibly disgruntled to be starting third with his team-mate on pole, the Brawns split by Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull, which, fuel-adjusted, was quickest of the lot. Rubens had set the fastest lap of the weekend in Q2, a quarter of a second up on Jenson, and there hadn't been a lot wrong with his Q3 lap. All he could think was that he'd gone on track a bit early and that Jenson had got the best of the conditions.

Button could not have left it later. You leave it late to run with the most rubber down, but you don't leave it that late, as Ross Brawn admitted.

"It was too tight. It was really just good luck that we didn't get caught out."

Did Ross know how much time Jenson had left when he crossed the line to begin that last Q3 flyer? You bet.

"One point six seconds, wasn't it?" came the sheepish grin. "We knew when he went past sector two he was okay so long as he didn't lose too much. He had four seconds in hand when we radioed him. He judged it well I must say… It was touch and go. And not what was planned.

"He came into the pits with just a little bit too much time to keep the engine running (overheating) and so we had to stop it and start it again. Then when we got him out he was tangled up with Robert Kubica, who was on a slower lap than we expected and it all became a bit of a mess."

It was a surprise to the team when Jenson nailed the pole.

"I honestly didn't think he'd do it because he'd been struggling a bit with the balance," Ross said. "I was far from certain but he's impressed us all year."

Brawn has always been aware of Button's quality but last year's Honda was hardly the best conduit for it.

"If you remember," Ross went on, "at the start of last season he seemed to hit anything that was moving. And the guys who knew him told me it was really out of character. So I had to be patient but then there were races where he was exceptional but that was hidden by the car we had."

There's no doubt Jenson has momentum right now. Pole, 1m20.527s. Rubens, third,1m20.762. When the weights were published Rubens was 3.5kg heavier. Ten kilos around Barcelona is worth close to 0.4s. So, fuel-adjusted, Rubens should have been around 0.13s behind but the gap was twice that, on ‘his' track… It's why the reaction in the Jenson cockpit and on the Button side of the garage was even more ecstatic.

But Rubens didn't lie down. He made a storming start, sliced in front and once he had his nose ahead with a heavier fuel load, that should have been it.

Brawn's computer simulations had shown that a three-stop race was optimum. To make three-stoppers work though, you need to be able to lap to your potential. Safety Cars are not good news. When you're light and should be making time for the extra stop, everyone's sitting there behind you with more fuel losing no time. The FIA's Mercedes was out for four laps following the first lap shunt in Barcelona and that spelt recalculations at Brawn.

Jenson, due to stop a lap before Rubens and behind him, was compromised more. Shortly after the Safety Car resumption Jenson was already making radio appeals for Rubens to go quicker.

Fortunately for Brawn, Vettel, who had race-winning pace, was trapped behind Massa's KERS-assisted Ferrari. When Button was told they were swapping him to a two-stop race, he assumed that's where the problem was – he hadn't gained enough time to clear the Ferrari and Red Bull, which both went two laps longer, at his first stop. Consequently, he thought, Brawn would fuel him heavier so he could hopefully get them back at his second stop.

In fact, the problem was Nico Rosberg. As they crossed the line on lap 17, one before Jenson was due in, Nico, helped by the Safety Car, was still just 18.5s behind Jenson despite being fuelled to run to lap 25. Jenson was going to come out behind him and, this being Barcelona, wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance of passing him. That was going to seriously hurt him and so the three-stopper was abandoned.

For Rubens, clearing Rosberg was going to be desperately close. He was 1.4s further up the road than Jenson at the end of lap 17 and scheduled to run one lap further. They went for it. He'd needed to get the hammer down and his lap times tell you how well he was driving. From lap 12 until his stop: 1:23.10; 1:23.09; 1:23.02; 1:23.07; 1:23.08; 1:23.09; 1:23.01.

Superb high-speed consistency and, clearing Nico by the smallest of margins, it should have won him the race. Rubens ran a very short 12-lap second stint, doubtless part of the short stop needed to clear Rosberg, but the damage was done on his 19-lap third stint, where his times weren't quick enough and he dropped behind Jenson, only just clearing Webber's two-stopping Red Bull at his final stop.

Rubens's response to Button's question in the holding room was clear enough - body leant forward, arms crossed, the universal racing driver pronouncement of understeer. Fair enough on the last set of tyres, the primes, but he couldn't understand why he'd been so slow in the third stint. The distant look spoke volumes. It wasn't anger, more bewilderment.

Through the motions on the podium then, and on into the unilateral room for the TV interviews.

"On the third set I just didn't have the pace, I was locking wheels everywhere," he explained. "I hope the guys come back to me and say there was a small problem somewhere." With something like tyre pressures maybe.

Imagine it. You've just lost the race, the one you know should have been yours, it should be 3-1 now, but it's 4-0. You're a competitor. You're tired, hot, hacked off. The world's media wants to know what happened but you can't tell them. You'd like to know too…

"I heard they had changed Jenson's strategy and that I had to keep on pushing," Rubens said when he came to speak to the written media. "It's good for the team that we had one and two but I would like to understand why we changed that. This morning we decided three stops was the way to go and then out of the car we came straight here, so after this we'll have a meeting again and then we have some answers."

That was all it took. Was this a bit like Austria 2002 at Ferrari – when Rubens' deserved win was sacrificed in the interests of his team mate? Someone was going to ask it.

"I'm very experienced with that…" Rubens replied. "If that happens I won't be following any team orders anymore. I'm making it clear now so that everybody knows!"

Now Button, understandably enough, was getting a bit twitchy.

"I'm going to answer this a bit as well because it affects me," he announced. "Our strategy said a three stop was quicker. Full stop…." Got that!

Rubens, still bemused, still wondering, still frustrated, hadn't meant to prompt that line of enquiry.

"It's true," he said. "I mean it's much different to Ferrari and we have a much friendlier situation. I'm not blaming this or that. I'm not going to sit here crying about it. It's in my best interest to learn what went wrong today because I had the ability to win the race. But I didn't.

"Jenson is on a flyer, doing very well but this weekend was good for me, the setup and everything, I worked hard and we both pushed each other. There's more pressure on my side because he's won four races and I've won nothing, but I'm there, I'm working and I won't stop working.

"Not long ago people were putting flowers on my grave and saying thanks for your job and so on, but I'm here, very much alive, happy and I'm going to make it work. It's as it was some years ago."

That last line probably didn't help either. He meant in terms of having a competitive car again rather than the enforced subservience. I think…

It didn't stop another question to Jenson about how he felt about hints he might be getting his results via an advantage with the car or tactics.

"I don't even want to go down the avenue of talking about that because it's so far from the situation in our team," Button said, half laughing.

It was a laugh which said, 'listen, you have no idea what I've just done and how chuffed I am to pull it off against the run of play'.

"I had to push so hard in that second stint on heavy fuel," he explained. "The car was moving around quite a lot at the back and it took me a while to find my feet. Shov (race engineer Andy Shovlin) was on the radio telling me I had to put in the laps.

"The closer and closer it got to Rubens' second stop they were telling me that he had a three second advantage and I had to keep on pushing."

It meant an aggressive, sliding, untidy style which is the complete opposite of Button's normal silky-smooth style. It was how you got a lap time out of the Brawn at Barcelona.

"Every lap was flat out and I've never driven in that style before. I damaged the tyres quite a bit but I could still get the lap time out of the car. That's the good thing about it. You can be aggressive and it doesn't seem to eat up its tyres. I had to take that approach for this race and it made the difference.

"Rubens had his understeer problems on his third set of tyres and when I got onto the prime tyre I could still get a reasonable lap time out of them, which most people couldn't. Lots of little factors all came together and I crossed the line first in a race where I really didn't think I was going to."

Earlier in the weekend Jenson had readily acknowledged that Rubens was quicker, that he'd taken some of his set-up and studied his data. All you had to do to know it was a proper race was to look at the faces on the opposite sides of the Brawn garage. This one belonged to Rubens and Jenson had nicked it. Sport at its finest.

Good article.

Ross Brawn is a professional in race strategy and tactics. Rubens couldn't have more fuel at his first stop as he would have fallen behind Rosberg where he would have lost the race. It was the second stint and only the second where Rubens lost the race. He couldn't drive fast laps, they were slower than JB ones, so he fell behind instead of catching up, maybe a bad set of tires in the second stint (forget about the harder tires in the third stint because all other driver had the same problem more or less). Coming in after 12 laps finished all hopes for Rubens. You can call it bad luck, next time luck will maybe be on his side. :wink:

I don't think any one should view this as a conspiracy. If this happen again, than you can look at it differently.

It's racing and Ross Brawn is the best tactician ever. There is a good reason they called him the human calculator and why every place he managed win races. I don't believe he will create a Ferreri like environment simply because the last thing he need is a unfair dual within his own team and create a hostile and unhealthy environment. MS was Ferrari's baby and that's the end of the story.

Brawn GP needs to win the Constructor's title to get all of the financial award from FIA so they have the money for next season. He will not let the team self destruct.

As for why button was little slower at the first stage. There was an article explaining Button needed to stay cleared of dirty air from Rubens to keep his car running well, and I believe it.

Ferrari is calling FIA bluff now. They will quite 2010 if FIA don't change their mind about the two tier F1 system.

While I'm not a fan of the two tier system, I'm not a fan of Ferrari F1.

It will be sad to see them go, but they're no different than any other F1 team. Things can't always go their way.

Ferrari is calling FIA bluff now. They will quite 2010 if FIA don't change their mind about the two tier F1 system.

While I'm not a fan of the two tier system, I'm not a fan of Ferrari F1.

It will be sad to see them go, but they're no different than any other F1 team. Things can't always go their way.

I don't blame them. I hope the teams do get together and break off to make a new and better series. This two tier F1 is just stupid. F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsports. It will be more like JGTC/SuperGT with their GT500 and GT300 cars, not that that's a bad series, far from it.

Re: Can they be that stupid?

To let this "showdown" turn into an IRL/CART split scenario? I don't think the Bernie/Max team are about to let the wow factor of the major teams get away. By the same token, I don't think the major historical teams (Ferrari, McLaren at least) are ready to walk away from their F-1 brand.

This is a bunch of sabre rattling over the dramatic budget cuts that got sprung suddenly without the phased 3 year reduction that was expected. Both sides are working on a face saving compromise although I'm sure Bernie's working harder behind the scenes right now since he obviously didn't do enough homework before springing this deal.

They thought the world financial meltdown would have everyone cowering and thanking him for budget cuts. Heck, sounded reasonable enough back in December. $hit, he and Max probably brainstormed this up at a hooker party last August. :wink: :tongue:

OK OK, I'm putting the kaleidoscope and the pipe down..............now.

Back