• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factor X Engineering Turbo Kit FX3.0T

Re: visit

pixelhaus said:
i paid a quick visit to factor x last month while visiting my folks in vegas.
all i can say is these guys know their s**t. very informative, intellectual, and all around nice people. some of their projects are pretty amazing.
i feel pretty damn confident that they will have a great product once it is released, and i am very confident that it will be done right or won't be done at all. time to market obviously isn't their priority, they take as much time to get it right. i think that is commendable.

just my 2cents. i am not affiliated with them in any way shape or form.

Pixel,

It was a pleasure meeting you and we appreciate the kind words. As we have mentioned before we have been running the kit for a while now with the AEM. In our opinion it is not at the point where we feel comfortable including it in our "kit". Therefore, we are not going to be releasing the kit until we are confident we can supply the community with a no hassle engine management system. We are in the process of running the Motec M48 on our FX500 turbo kit. So as news develops we will be sure to keep everyone posted. For those of you interested in an NA platform we are also building the FX3.5 high compression motor. We appreciate our clients' patience and continued support.

Than you for the update. :) But you failed to answer the all important question. For those of us that are slowly building are cars and carefuly selecting products, when do you hope to release a product? Even a rough guestimate would be nice.

For those of us that are slowly building are cars and carefuly selecting products, when do you hope to release a product?

As we have mentioned before we have been running the kit for a while now with the AEM. In our opinion it is not at the point where we feel comfortable including it in our "kit". Therefore, we are not going to be releasing the kit until we are confident we can supply the community with a no hassle engine management system.

So you guys are going to be running Twin T3/T4 turbos right ? What kind of power could these turbos produce with a built engine at around 18PSI. What kind of max boost can they push out, and is the included I/C able to flow enough air to cool 500+ HP ? When do the turbos start to spool ? When is full boost reached ? I understand that you guys are making this kit for a stock engined NSX, but how will system hold up if you wanted higher boost, higher HP numbers ? Also, sorry for the stupid question, but how much power could the NSX's 5speed hold reliably ? Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to plan things out for the future, your kit looks like promising lead, good luck to you and your crew, take care.

I would consider strengthening engine internals at boost levels of 9 lbs and higher. There are two SC kits out there that produce upwards of 400 rwhp at 6 lbs of boost. Some turbo kits not yet released are showing even better numbers.

At 9lbs with properly sized turbos, you are getting deep into the 400's and closing in on 500. I believe 14 lbs on a good single turbo will put you over 500 rwhp, even with lower compression pistons. Check out Gerry Johnson's NSX, as I believe his setup is similar. www.pansx.com

This may be off topic, but was there a reason that you chose the Magnaflow exhaust canister over other brands???

proably cause its a good muffler and cheap too..
not saying they kick everyones ass or anything by far..
motec ehh.. thast gonna shoot the price tag way up there. :-(

Tiger740 said:
This may be off topic, but was there a reason that you chose the Magnaflow exhaust canister over other brands???

We choose to run the Magnaflow exhaust system because of its ability to handle the airflow and the sound is AMAZING!

will people be able to buy certain pieces of your kit... ie the piping and intercooler?

i have the rest sittin in my house...
62-1 turbo
injectors, EMS, fuel lines and oil lines...

i would like to buy the exhaust piping and charge pipes... and maybe the skid plate... anyway i could get a price tag on those?

BoostedH23a1 said:
will people be able to buy certain pieces of your kit... ie the piping and intercooler?

i have the rest sittin in my house...
62-1 turbo
injectors, EMS, fuel lines and oil lines...

i would like to buy the exhaust piping and charge pipes... and maybe the skid plate... anyway i could get a price tag on those?

Boosted,

If you have time please give us a call and we will talk directly. There are many variables that go into the kit. We want to make sure fitment is not going to be an issue.

Factor X Motorsports said:
For those interested it looks like we will be attending the Auto X at Hollywood Park with our Turbo System.

Someone needs to go to this with a camcorder or atleast a camera capable of taking LOTS of pictures.:)

Syonara said:
Someone needs to go to this with a camcorder or atleast a camera capable of taking LOTS of pictures.:)
As len3.8 said in another thread , he (and a few others:D) will be visiting with them shortly. While we would like to take some pics and record a few real-world tests, it will be up to FX as to what can be done. After all, it's their baby, and they may not want to disclose things till xpo.

KGP said:
As len3.8 said in another thread , he (and a few others:D) will be visiting with them shortly. While we would like to take some pics and record a few real-world tests, it will be up to FX as to what can be done. After all, it's their baby, and they may not want to disclose things till xpo.

Okay Gentlemen I have been waiting for this writeup on the VISIT.
Let's hear it. Were you pinned into the seat by the awesome power of this system? How was the build quality? Should my car be on the next thing smokin' to FactorX? Enquiring minds want to know? How well did the car perform on the track?
Was the torque there from 2500 up?
I have seen the facilities I know they are up to snuff. I can't wait to see for myself.

FactorX guys I would like to get a full report, Checkbook in hand, car in disarray. Just ready to roll.
Let's discuss this system.

Also are there any probs with OBDII and emissions?
Let me know, I have a ticket already for a visit, but If SJS and KGP and FactorX can answer the questions then I may be able to just live with that.

Xless in St. Louie
Len

Last edited:
len3.8 said:
Okay Gentlemen I have been waiting for this writeup on the VISIT.
Len, I intended on calling you, and still will, but I have received a few more e-mail's from others who also want a report. So, I guess I'll report here for everyone:

Initially, sjs, len3.8 and I planned a weekend visit to FX to inspect their turbo, as well as their engine building and tuning capabilities. Len couldn't make it because of a death and FX had something planned on Saturday, so sjs and I took a day off of work to meet them on Friday. Ken and Mike of FX were extremely generous with their time and answered pretty much all the questions that we could throw at them. For that I am appreciative of their time. Thanks guys.

On the engine build: First, I was impressed with the FX facility, some of the client cars in there, and some of the tools they had at their disposal. It was what I would expect from an outfit that I would plop-down mucho bucks to do an engine and turbo on my baby. We must have spent two hours talking about their engine build, most specifically their 3.2 low compression (so to speak) build they have configured for their turbo setup. While each and every builder seems to have a differing recipe in how they do things, I did come away confident that FX has the knowledge to do what they are trying to accomplish; provide a reliable build for their FX turbo kit. It seems that secrecy is the norm in the building and tuning world as far as exactly what they do to the engine as far as tolerances, certain parts and machining. FX does fit the stereotype here, and most likely has good reason. They have spent quite a bit of time and money building and testing their engine, pushing it to, and past, the breaking point in an attempt to accomplish their goal. With that said, FX did answer the tough and specific questions relating to exactly how they are doing what they are doing. Most likely because they knew full well that sjs and I were not on some spy hunt, and that some serious buyers made a 1,500 mile trip to decide whether or not to plunk down some mucho bucks. For the information given, I thank them. And no, don't ask me what information was given to us, as it was given in confidence, and will not be disclosed by this person. If you’re serious book a flight and ask them yourself. Bottom line; I was impressed with the 3.2 engine build, and would trust them with my motor.

As to the turbo kit: Maybe some of my expectations were a bit too high, at least in relation to where the system was in terms of being a ready "kit." It was explained that all of the final parts for the production kit are on order, and should arrive within two to three weeks. I assumed that it was ready to go, and that might be my unreasonable expectation. Okay, now to the meat of what most people want to know, how did the turbo perform: Believe it or not I can't really give a complete report for anyone :(. While it was known that we would be visiting to put the turbo through a test so to speak, FX explained that they had just put in some larger injectors in order to crank up the boost and further explore the limits of their engine and turbo. Our expectation was that we would be able to drive the car to get a good idea of the turbo’s capabilities, and that didn’t happen. We had the G-cube ready to go, but couldn’t use it. I have to say, I was more than mildly disappointed in this. I would have thought that 3 potential buyers (I’m including len3.8 here) would have provided sufficient incentive to have the car tuned and ready for demo. Am I dismissing the turbo kit because of this? No, but it is a point of concern, especially because the trip was planned in advance, and because we altered our schedule to meet theirs, taking a day away from work. Ken did take us on some test runs to get an idea of the turbo’s power, and it shows real promise. Because of the injector/tuning issue, we were pretty much limited to some low gear runs, of which I can report that 2nd gear pulls much harder than my 6lb BBSC, and there is no doubt about that. I left with a wish un-fulfilled, to have been provided an opportunity to get some real-world measurements and to have been provided some seat time controlling an FI system (and engine build) that I am ready to plop down some big bucks on.

On the tuning side: Much of the time we spent talking revealed a great deal of insight on FX’s tuning capabilities. In short, I am confident they are capable tuners, and can handle this area in regards to an NSX FI application. I’m not going to get into the AEM versus the rest of the stand alone ECU world debate, but they feel there is good reason to use the Motec system, at least at this time. And with the Motec ECU, it appears they are very capable. On the other hand, I just can’t get the issue of the car not really being ready for us to drive out of my mind.

Conclusion: I dunno:confused:! I’m certainly not discounting them as a potential solution. Rather, maybe I need to take a wait and see approach. Sure hate to have to make another trip to re-examine though. Engine build looks good, turbo has the dyno numbers and has been in testing for some time now. Maybe NSXPO is an option to further explore FI solutions, assuming I can find the time to get there. Right now it looks like I will continue discussions with other FI providers, and hope that the Holy Grail is found. Maybe it will show up in the FX kit. Seems they are close, but just weren’t ready to demonstrate as much this particular day.

A word to the wise; Missouri is the show-me state, and anyone who has lived here knows there is a whole lot of truth to the “show-me” thing. :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Vegas Visit

KGP,

It was a pleasure meeting both yourself and SJS in person! We truly enjoyed the experience discussing the intricacies of the NSX and Engine Management. We appreciate the confidentiality you are exhibiting.

In regards to the turbo we apologize for not having the NSX re-mapped with the new larger fuel pump and injectors. With our fueling system being completed for our base kit we went to the next level. We planned on re-mapping that night however, as we mentioned the Primm 300 race is this weekend and we had to drop everything to go pre-run in the desert. We would have much rather been in the shop tuning than out in the desert bouncing around eating dirt.

We realize that you took the time and spent the money to come out and see us and we hate to see any of our clients leave without a smile from ear to ear. We too feel that seeing is believing therefore, we would like to fly you out and provide you with room and board again when your schedule permits all at our cost. Maybe we can schedule it when there is a Score International Off-Road race in town so you can experience what we were talking about.

If you have any further questions feel free to call anytime.

KGP and SJS, thanks for the update. I am also disappointed that the car wasn't running right. Being somewhat of an impulsive person, I was hoping that you guys had found the holy grail.
I can't wait until what seems to be show me weekend at Expo, I simply can't attend.

I am surprised that with 3 certified purchasers wanting a FI solution,willing to travel 1500 miles on a short notice, at the invitation of the tuner. I am just surprised that the car wasn't configured or shall I say ready to roll with the 8lb boost setup that had been touted.

I am sure that Mike and Ken are bus with plenty of projects, and were maybe trying to get ready for the hollywood park event as well. That being a big event to test or showcase to other potential buyers.

1500 miles is a lot of distance to show sincere interest in a project. Know you guys and the schedules that you keep at work and the schedule that I re-arranged, Neither of us have time to waste. I am looking for a solution, I am willing to pay for a good solution. Like yourself I am talking to FI people to decide on my next step. (Note** If you invite me and I say I am coming I am)

I am not a technical "GURU", I try to find a couple of people that I can bounce things off of and get the best solution for myself, having said that, I feel that my trip to Vegas may be a waste of my very valuable time, (To me and my family) I can't afford the time it takes to go and wittness what I have been reading on the board for the last few months. I would like to have a finished product that can be tested.

Mike & Ken is the car running properly now? I know you guys are extremely busy, but I am also. If the car isn't running properly and won't be by next Thurs/Friday let me know. I don't want to fly out there and tour the facilities. I will fly out for the demonstration of a properly tuned and running car.

Come on guys work with a potential customer. I don't want my butt Kissed, I just want a fast and dependable car. (Not in stock trim) Just in case nsxtasy is reading.

My biggest questions:
1. Is there going to be a problem with emmissions as the kit stands? If so are we going to rely on the Motec to tune those out for the test, then retune for drivability?

2. I have a MY95 (OBDII) please tell me once and for all if this is a problem. I don't want to cahnge any gas peadals or convert throtle csbles ect. ect. period.

3. If i said yes tomorrow to the purchase, what kind of turnaround am I looking at? 3 weeks, month, 2months what?
Is there a engine and turbo kit available for me to purchase now?

(Forgive my grammar, I was absent that day.)
Len

Yes, please provide the details on the setup that got those times! 3.0 or 3.2? What PSI? What if any internal work required? :)

Uh ya, same questions as the other guys, and I got a few more.

1. How much to run that setup that ran those times?

2. What kind of tires were on the car for the runs?

Back