Feeding my dog raw meat... (BARF DIET)

Ever since she was a pup, I feed my dog (Standard Poodle) raw meat. Basically chicken, beef, eggs, fish, and lamb. The idea is to avoid processed foods which lack the natural enzymes. The bones from the raw chicken acts as a tooth brush which helps fight gum disease.

Anybody else doing this?

Ever since she was a pup, I feed my dog (Standard Poodle) raw meat. Basically chicken, beef, eggs, fish, and lamb. The idea is to avoid processed foods which lack the natural enzymes. The bones from the raw chicken acts as a tooth brush which helps fight gum disease.

Anybody else doing this?

This is a joke right? Dogs should never have chicken bones.

lol

There is a reason why dogs are domesticated animal because they eat what we eat until the invention of dog food. Small portion of raw meet is good when served with regular food, but not as an entire meal.

Lacking what natural enzymes? That do what exactly? They aren't going to survive the dog's digestive tract very long. We all have all the "natural enzymes" we need or we would be sick or dead.

If you want to have healthy animals, you're better off COOKING them a good meal with meats/veggies, etc. Making a stew twice a week and then storing it for individual meals is something we used to do.

There's nothing wrong with avoiding the processed dog foods, most of the cheaper brands are definitely not good for them, however I would have to imagine simply throwing an animal raw meat will shorten their overall life span. Wild animals are not known for their overall longevity, and although there are many factors, diet is definitely one of them.

(May I remind you the parasites/bacteria that come along with raw meats....)

For the sake of longevity, i recommend the below dish served poached.

pounds ground turkey
3/4 ground beef
2 tablespoons bone meal
1 tablespoon fenugreek
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves, use less if dried
1/4 cup marigold petals
1 cup roughly chopped parsley leaves
2 apples, or 8 ounces fruit, no grapes or raisins, roughly chopped
1 squash, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup dandelion greens
1/2 pound haddock, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound beef heart, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound liver, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound kidney, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound gizzards, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound beef fat, chopped into 1-inch squares
4 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves pressed garlic
1/2 cup dried organic seaweed, soaked and strained to remove the salt
2 cups chicken or beef stock, optional

Put ground turkey and beef into a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine bone meal, fenugreek, rosemary, marigold petals, and parsley, and mix well. Combine with the meat mixture. Use a food processor to grate apples, squash, and carrots. Add broccoli florets and dandelion greens and mix well. Add to the meat mixture. Combine haddock, beef heart, liver, kidney, gizzards, and beef fat and mix well. Add to the meat mixture. Combine eggs, olive oil, pressed garlic, and seaweed and mix well. Add to the meat mixture and thoroughly mix all the ingredients with your hands.
Recipe can be served as is to dogs that are accustomed to a raw diet. Otherwise make patties and poach them in chicken or beef stock.

To serve either raw or poached, put a generous helping of recipe into dog bowl, add 1 cup of high quality, meat based kibble, 1 egg, 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and supplement with super foods: digestive enzymes, probiotics, co-enzyme q10, and wild blue green algae.

Recipe can be made ahead and stored frozen in 1 week-sized containers.

For the sake of longevity, i recommend the below dish served poached.

pounds ground turkey
3/4 ground beef
2 tablespoons bone meal
1 tablespoon fenugreek
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves, use less if dried
1/4 cup marigold petals
1 cup roughly chopped parsley leaves
2 apples, or 8 ounces fruit, no grapes or raisins, roughly chopped
1 squash, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup dandelion greens
1/2 pound haddock, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound beef heart, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound liver, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound kidney, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound gizzards, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound beef fat, chopped into 1-inch squares
4 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves pressed garlic
1/2 cup dried organic seaweed, soaked and strained to remove the salt
2 cups chicken or beef stock, optional

Put ground turkey and beef into a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine bone meal, fenugreek, rosemary, marigold petals, and parsley, and mix well. Combine with the meat mixture. Use a food processor to grate apples, squash, and carrots. Add broccoli florets and dandelion greens and mix well. Add to the meat mixture. Combine haddock, beef heart, liver, kidney, gizzards, and beef fat and mix well. Add to the meat mixture. Combine eggs, olive oil, pressed garlic, and seaweed and mix well. Add to the meat mixture and thoroughly mix all the ingredients with your hands.
Recipe can be served as is to dogs that are accustomed to a raw diet. Otherwise make patties and poach them in chicken or beef stock.

To serve either raw or poached, put a generous helping of recipe into dog bowl, add 1 cup of high quality, meat based kibble, 1 egg, 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and supplement with super foods: digestive enzymes, probiotics, co-enzyme q10, and wild blue green algae.

Recipe can be made ahead and stored frozen in 1 week-sized containers.

Your dog eats better than I do.

Your dog eats better than I do.

LOL... I don't have a dog but my ex did and I used to treat him with things like this from time to time, when the economy wasn't in the toilet! :) Seriously, this is a $50 dog lunch... but it makes enough to last him a week or two. I packed it into containers and fed him this stuff once a day, or every other day switching between this and the Purina stuff so I don't boost his ego.

I ate Special K twice a day, every day for like two months trying to cut fat and I thought "Dried food sucks!" Then I was thinking "that poor pup" and so the next time I made stew I made sure to make lots of it so I could pack half for him.

This recipe above is from the Food Network website but it's really no different than what I used to throw together. He loved it, which is what matters.

LOL... I don't have a dog but my ex did and I used to treat him with things like this from time to time, when the economy wasn't in the toilet! :) Seriously, this is a $50 dog lunch... but it makes enough to last him a week or two. I packed it into containers and fed him this stuff once a day, or every other day switching between this and the Purina stuff so I don't boost his ego.

I ate Special K twice a day, every day for like two months trying to cut fat and I thought "Dried food sucks!" Then I was thinking "that poor pup" and so the next time I made stew I made sure to make lots of it so I could pack half for him.

This recipe above is from the Food Network website but it's really no different than what I used to throw together. He loved it, which is what matters.

I am a "dog guy". Don't have one now, but I most recently did Doberman rescue. As a "dog guy", thank you.

Back