• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Fender Bolts - Stripped Paint - Removed/Replaced??

Is there any reason a fender bolt (this is the rear drivers side) would look like this for any other reason than it was removed/replaced?

notethebolt.jpg

Thanks.

The paint could be chipped.

The fender/quarter panel bolts are in place when the car is painted. So if the pain seal has been broken, it usually means the quarter was removed to be painted off the car. If you look at the trunk strut stud ball, you can see that it was also painted, which is not from the factory.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Is this picture taken from the 05 Red/Tan NSX with 3k miles? If so, what's the history on this car?

Just wondering as we have a prime member who bought a brand new NSX from the dealership in 2005 with 0 miles and the rear panel screws are just like this with no evidence of accident etc. We wonder if it had been damaged before it was sold...

Let us know...

If you look at the trunk strut stud ball, you can see that it was also painted, which is not from the factory.

Chris, thats EXACTLY what I was thinking! Are you sure that ball does not come painted??

By the looks of it ... I think the paint has simply flaked off. This could have happened when the trunk was closed or simply flaked off over time.

If you look real close, you can see a water stain around the bolts head. Obviously if you can see the stain there now, it could have gathered there everytime the car was washed, got under the paint in that spot, created corrotion (white spots on the bolt) and sparated the paint from the bolt.

If the bolt was actually turned, the "seal" would be broken all the way around the washer portion and usually is kind of jagged so to say. Looks like the back side of the that bolt still has the paint. Check the seam for cracks on that side.

What does the other bolt towards the tailight looks like?

Other bolt appears to be intact.

A dealership is doing an inspection of the car next week. Should find out more then.

Its just that the front bumper had been replaced and it looks like the rear was replaced (misaligned) as well, so its not a stretch to think the fender was replaced as well.

The fender/quarter panel bolts are in place when the car is painted. So if the pain seal has been broken, it usually means the quarter was removed to be painted off the car. If you look at the trunk strut stud ball, you can see that it was also painted, which is not from the factory.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris is 100% correct the left bottem bolt should be factory chrome not red with overspray.

Attachments

• Nsx paint trunk.JPG
    Nsx paint trunk.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 174
Chris, thats EXACTLY what I was thinking! Are you sure that ball does not come painted??

The trunk strut studs on the NSX have a mechanically applied zinc plating (grey) or black zinc (dark olive green) depending on the years. It looks like this part on the car may have been painted. It's not that big of a deal, mostof the cars we have seen have had some paint work and it is usually from something fairly minor.

Regards,
-- Chris

Chris is right. Those trunk strut bolts are NOT body color from the factory. That fender was repainted. The strange thing is that it looks like the jam was painted and the fender bolt was still unpainted (even though the trunk strut bolt was painted).

The trunk strut bolts on my 91 were painted from the factory. The replacements are not painted.

OK read the thread, the nut is painted at the factory but the ball is not painted. I'm getting nuts and bolts mixed up.

Last edited:
What's particularly distressing is that, if memory and vision serve, the strut ball is on the trunk panel, not the fender.

If both have been repainted, the car's been in more than a fender bender.

Chris is right. Those trunk strut bolts are NOT body color from the factory. That fender was repainted. The strange thing is that it looks like the jam was painted and the fender bolt was still unpainted (even though the trunk strut bolt was painted).

Hopefully your talking about certain years because my '05 has factory painted studs and the fender bolt heads are pristine. Can anyone confirm?

2624678990084140464S600x600Q85.jpg

Yojack,

not to worry, since this was posted yesterday i have looked at 7 nsxs as follows
1 2005
1 2004
1 1999
1 1997
1 1993
2 1995

And they are ALL like yours and i know the history on most of these cars.
So what i can say is at least after 1995 the nut and the part of the ball stud ARE body color from the factory. if you look really close at the end of the ball stud you can see a hard line where it was apparently taped of or had a cap or cover on it during painting. you can't see it on your picture due to angle,but i bet if you took the picture looking into the ball joint you would see it.

thanks
Tom

Now I'm not sure whether the studs are painted or not. Mine were replaced and it pained me to see the nice factory painted bolt removed. I got over it after a couple of weeks.

So it seems the OP doesn't have to worry that his car was damaged too badly and maybe the fender was removed for a minor reason even though I don't think it's factory paint but I could be wrong. It might be water stains which make the paint look not right on the inside lip.

Mine are also painted and all bolt heads with solid paint lines all around.

Mine are painted....'05

NSX_Trunk_Stut_Bolt:ball.jpg

Is there any reason a fender bolt (this is the rear drivers side) would look like this for any other reason than it was removed/replaced?

notethebolt.jpg

Thanks.

Sometimes they just peel. I see it all the time. As for the trunk cylinder ball/nut/hardware they are painted the color of the car.
I don't see a big deal. Say someone put a wrench on a painted bolt? So what?
A little paint off a bolt head and folks are off the hook thinking the car is the biggest whore in the world.
Lighten up folks. It's a car not your mamma's virtue.

Hopefully your talking about certain years because my '05 has factory painted studs and the fender bolt heads are pristine. Can anyone confirm?

I was wrong about the trunk strut studs. Looked through my reciept file and found that my trunk struts were replaced before I got my NSX - hence why the bolts are no longer body color.

Here are a few more pics that led me to believe this car had some body/paint work in the rear.

debrisandgasketissuesinthetrunk.jpg

bumperfitment.jpg

Back