• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally...I know what those twin holes are in the nose of the facelift NSX...

I hope this hasn't been discussed or discovered yet...I couldn't find it in a search...

Here goes: My wife and I went to Goodson Acura here in the Dallas area yesterday. First I went in the morning to see the new car, and then I just had to show my wife! ^_^ When we went back, there was finally someone there to answer some questions. My main puzzlement was "What are these two covered holes on the Nose?" The first sales guy who was nice to us had no clue, and went to find someone who might know. The second guy came out and looked annoyed at us for wanting to bother him...he asked what we wanted to to know and I told him. He said "Oh those are for towing". I said, "Are you sure? I don't think so because here's where the original tow hook port is ...at least on the original design...and it looks the same here..." He got annoyed and said, "well...I don't know!" And stormed off. Then as we were about to leave a third person popped up and caught us on our way out the door. He apologized for the #2 dildo's attitude and them informed us that the holes were covered now, but are the spots for the factory option FOG LAMPS! He said that basically it's a tiny clear lens Xenon (? Xenon?) unit that just fits in directly in behind the caps that are there now. He didn't know when those would be available, but assured me that that's what they were there for.

So...FOG LAMPS...there you have it. If you want to take his word anyway. ^_^

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

I think they are the fanciest head-light washers since the BMW 8-series.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Lud:
They seem too high off the ground / close in height to the headlights to be very effective locations for fog lights...?

I would not think height would make much of a difference unless you were above the headlights. A true fog or driving light is more defined by pattern and color (yes the yellows are better) than by appearance. I have standard fogs on my LS400 that are next to the headlights, and they work great in fog and rain.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

I would think the same thing.

I wish I could get away with prying the caps off to see...maybe I will ask them next time I go in.
biggrin.gif

I assume that there is everything you would need already hidden under the caps...if that guy's nfo was right. Do you think there would jsut be some kind of plug...or empty hole? Someone should go on a mission to see.

------------------

Originally posted by ncdogdoc:
I would not think height would make much of a difference unless you were above the headlights. ...

Generally speaking, lower is preferred for true fog lights, in large part because the increased angle between you and them results in less light reflected off the fog and back in your eyes (glare), and they start closer to the road surface and lines they are lighting.

The fact that many are mounted higher and still work well is a credit to the current lamps and perhaps an indication that you haven't been in severe conditions.

I also prefer them low because the ones up high piss me off when I'm in a regular car!

After intense scrutiny of those plugged up holes, I have come to one conclusion. They are ports for inboard mounted machine guns.

---------------------------------------------
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"

Those twin holes, one on each side of the front bumper, are just a covering for the bolts that hold the bumper to the body. On the pre-'02 NSXs that bolt was behind the front turn signals but now since they're in the headlight assembly on the 02s Acura had to cover the access to those bolts. Found out when I asked Kent Shepley of Honda at a get together we had at American Honda a week and half ago in Gardena. Nice to see Eric and John there.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

When I saw the black/black 2002 at Goodson, I asked the same question. The sales guy that was there gave the same response - foglights. I was tempted to pull the plugs out and look, but I didn't want to make the guy feel bad when I showed that this clearly wasn't the case. Remember - this sales guy doesn't know anything more about the car than you or I. They're just blowing smoke. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I doubt it. I imagine that the plugs are covers for a process in the assembly that required a "quick fix".

In any case, I like the rear end of the car, and may be putting the valance and exhaust tips on my 1991 model.

EDR

Originally posted by erobbins:
In any case, I like the rear end of the car, and may be putting the valance and exhaust tips on my 1991 model.

EDR

Darn it Eric is seems you and I are thinking alike!!!! It seems that there now may be two Black/Ivory 91' NSXs with the facelifted rear-end in Flower Mound. :)

[This message has been edited by humanoidtyphoon (edited 23 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by humanoidtyphoon (edited 23 January 2002).]

Yes, this was mentioned previously.

The design was taken from the SUV's. Hard to see out the back of an SUV when backing-up, so Ford and others decided to put in electronic distance sensors. Beep, beep!

If you can't see out the front of an NSX, you may need to be seen by an OD.

97-T #009 @23K

I'm not buying the distance sensors theory...So far the best reason I've heard IS the fog lamps. I can't see Honda covering up "put together" holes or even having Three tow hooks...so the Fog lamps SOUND like the only logical explaination.

But this sure makes for interesting speculation on all our parts. Why doesn't someone just run out and buy one real fast...so we can see.
wink.gif

------------------

There's no reason to continue speculating about this. We ALREADY know the answer, which was posted by CChung:

Originally posted by CChung:
Those twin holes, one on each side of the front bumper, are just a covering for the bolts that hold the bumper to the body. On the pre-'02 NSXs that bolt was behind the front turn signals but now since they're in the headlight assembly on the 02s Acura had to cover the access to those bolts. Found out when I asked Kent Shepley of Honda at a get together we had at American Honda a week and half ago in Gardena.

Kent Shepley is responsible for Acura's "Techline" service for the NSX; he's the one the dealer service departments call when they can't figure out a problem. He knows everything about the NSX - that's his job - and we now know the answer to this question.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 24 January 2002).]

Originally posted by scottjua:
I'm not buying the distance sensors theory...
That one sounds pretty ludicrous, considering that this a non-structural re-skin, and the NSX doesn't really need them.

The "bumper fastener cover" makes a lot of sense, albeit it doesn't sound like the most creative engineering. It DOES simplify things from the design-for-assembly standpoint.

Plus, if Shepley says so, then that's what it is
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by comptechnsx:
So count me in for a Black/Black in Carrollton, TX.

Are you on the DallasNSX email list? It's hard to tell sometimes because usernames on UBB aren't necessarily easily translated into email addresses.

Email me offline ([email protected]), please!

Side note: I was at Goodson Acura today and pulled the plastic cap off the front bumper. Just a big hole in the bumper lined up to access the bumper mounting bolt, as stated before.

EDR

Really? That's the same car I looked at. Well I guess I can't dispute it anymore...but maybe they are still intended for Fog lamps? In Addition to them being a design flaw?

I just can't see Honda engineers riggin' the bumper install with a quick fix cover up like that for no good reason.

I know...I know...let it go...
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by scottjua (edited 25 January 2002).]

Back