• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Financial advice: The Automatic Millionaire

Good article. I read about that family he was referring to. I wonder what he would have called his "Latte Factor" before StarBucks cam along?

need more incentive to be a penny-pincher...

White92 said:
Good article. I read about that family he was referring to. I wonder what he would have called his "Latte Factor" before StarBucks cam along?

Marlboro Factor?

Bud Light Factor?

Powerball/Lotto Factor?

Bottled Water Factor?

Name-brand Factor?

Fuel Economy Factor?

Heating/Cooling Factor?

On a tangent, I personally believe the US and it's tax-policies promote a spend-first, save-second society. I guess it's the philosophy of keeping currency & wealth 'circular'. There are no real incentives to save or be thrifty. Anyone who tries to accumulate capital through economical living/habits gets reamed by the tax hiearchy. This day and age, having solid assets or liquid-savings is actually a negative. A total friggin' joke if you ask me!

Re: need more incentive to be a penny-pincher...

Osiris_x11 said:
Marlboro Factor?

Bud Light Factor?

Powerball/Lotto Factor?

Bottled Water Factor?

Name-brand Factor?

Fuel Economy Factor?

Heating/Cooling Factor?

On a tangent, I personally believe the US and it's tax-policies promote a spend-first, save-second society. I guess it's the philosophy of keeping currency & wealth 'circular'. There are no real incentives to save or be thrifty. Anyone who tries to accumulate capital through economical living/habits gets reamed by the tax hiearchy. This day and age, having solid assets or liquid-savings is actually a negative. A total friggin' joke if you ask me!

With the exception of real-estate. Albeit there is a bubble but if you buy right and manage it properly RE can be a good source of "saving" money. Also a good source of income through loans, after all borrowed money is not taxable.

steveny said:
With the exception of real-estate. Albeit there is a bubble but if you buy right and manage it properly RE can be a good source of "saving" money. Also a good source of income through loans, after all borrowed money is not taxable.
and to this i would add that my wife and i find great peace of mind in having extremely low debt/high saving ratio. there's a **lot** to be said for not worrying about how to feed the cats....

queenlives said:
and to this i would add that my wife and i find great peace of mind in having extremely low debt/high saving ratio. there's a **lot** to be said for not worrying about how to feed the cats....

The art of living easily as to money is to pitch your scale of living one degree below your means.
Sir Henry Taylor

I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.
Jackie Mason

steveny said:
...Also a good source of income through loans, after all borrowed money is not taxable.

Yea, but the principal payments are!

Live below your means, even if you have to borrow to do it.
-John Cramer

DanO

this article is certainly good advice but the only way saving $5 a day is going to add up to a million in even 30 years is if you're getting 15% on it. even the 10% he mentions is pretty aggressive.

Osiris_x11 said:
Marlboro Factor?

Bud Light Factor?

Powerball/Lotto Factor?

Bottled Water Factor?

Name-brand Factor?

Fuel Economy Factor?

Heating/Cooling Factor?

No incentive? Are you on crack? The incentive is security: retiring worry free without being a drain on the economy.

There are many ways to save on a tax advantaged basis. Max your roth...what you put into it grows tax-deferred and comes out tax free! You can now contribute $4000 per year and $4500 if you are over fifty. $4k a year at 10% for 30 years IS worth millions in the long run. Of course there are income requirements, but 90% percent of the population falls within these requirements.

Contribute to your 401(k) up to the match. This is free money, that also grows on a tax deferred basis, which allows you to grow dollars on dollars. It also offers a tax deduction up front on your income tax. If you are self-employed, establish a simple.

Open 529's for the kids....money earmarked for college grows tax deferred and comes out tax free when used for qualified educational expenses.

I could keep going and going....the fact is, the United States is one the least taxed nations in the world. I hate taxes, too, but there are ways around them.

Its not the government that perpetuates a paycheck to paycheck attitude. Its the status driven population keeping up with the Joneses who instill these behaviors into their kids and teach them nothing about finance.

I'm not going to lie, I like expensive shit just like the next person. The difference is my retirement plans are maxxed and my credit cards are not.

Just had to rant....in my profession you run into boneheads everyday who would rather buy beer than spend 40 bucks a month on a term policy to protect their families. Its really disgraceful.

Dave Hardy said:
I agree that the tax code encourages irresponsibility. I live in a house that is wayless than what I could actually afford. I have no kids. My taxes are obscene. If I lived in a house that stretched my limits and had kids that I could not afford, then my taxes would be very low.

Boohoo....we all pay taxes. If you think your taxes are obscene, go move to another country....you'll pay even more.

You get tax breaks for getting married, (in most cases) you get tax breaks for having dependants (children), you get tax breaks for owning a home. You get tax breaks for contributing to qualified accounts.

You don't get tax breaks by acting irresponsibly....

invest in currency speculation & precious metals, lol...

SilverStone05 said:
No incentive? Are you on crack?

Check your own nose before you open your mouth, poseur. :rolleyes:

SilverStone05 said:
The incentive is security: retiring worry free without being a drain on the economy.

I wasn't referring to retirement, 401K's, and other such financial instraments.

My post was about being thrifty, economical, and conservative in spending... yet not getting desired benefits from it in the long-run. Case & point...

Family A has take-home income of $45-55k/annually. They live very average, postponement of gratification, and low-key (ie. buy used cars, look for sales, not into prestige in purchases). They are able own their home on a 25yr mortage and have their previous beginner home fully paid off, which then is leased. The savings account is very impressive over the years of sacrifice. College time, this family will get NO Federal financial aid (grants, stipends, univ./college aid, etc) for their kids education. They have to sell one of the homes to be eligible for financial aid. Of-course there is capital gains tax & closing costs associated w/ sale of your own property/asset (unless you reinvest, which you obviously can't!).

Family B has take-home income of $75-85k/annually. They live rather luxuriously, leasing nice new cars, fun vacations, name brand retail purchases. They live in a nice house, possibly leased or owned. They don't have any significant savings or assets. College time, this family will get significant Federal financial aid (grants, stipends, univ./college aid, etc) for their kids education. They will end up paying a fraction of tuition/ housing/ education costs for their kids higher-education (only pay 5%-15% of total costs, if not LESS!).

[Ex. 1994-1998 Public Univ. = ~$10k/yr, 1990-1994Private Univ. = ~$20k/yr]

What's the incentive to save?!? :confused:

SilverStone05 said:
There are many ways to save on a tax advantaged basis. Max yourroth...what you put into it grows tax-deferred and comes out tax free! You can now contribute $4000 per year and $4500 if you are over fifty. $4k a year at 10% for 30 years IS worth millions in the long run. Of course there are income requirements, but 90% percent of the population falls within these requirements.

Contribute to your 401(k) up to the match. This is free money, that also grows on a tax deferred basis, which allows you to grow dollars on dollars. It also offers a tax deduction up front on your income tax. If you are self-employed, establish a simple.

Open 529's for the kids....money earmarked for college grows tax deferred and comes out tax free when used for qualified educational expenses.

Seems like sound advice, I'm not a BBA/Acct'ing/Finance grad'.

SilverStone05 said:
I could keep going and going....the fact is, the United States is one the least taxed nations in the world. I hate taxes, too, but there are ways around them.

Being in a 25%-33% tax bracket (for example), then paying state & local taxes, sales tax, property taxes (if you own), having a certain deduction from wages for health/pension/social-security... it adds up. Yes, in other Western countries taxes are roughly 40-45% across the board for earnings. However, income is higher and you do get free healthcare, free primary AND secondary education, pension, and plenty of social services - if need be, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I do prefer the 'States... but there isn't as much tax relief here as one may assume. It's just that you get more for your money here in America that makes it all the more attractive!

SilverStone05 said:
Its not the government that perpetuates a paycheck to paycheck attitude. Its the status driven population keeping up with the Joneses who instill these behaviors into their kids and teach them nothing about finance.

I'm not going to lie, I like expensive shit just like the next person. The difference is my retirement plans are maxxed and my credit cards are not.

You're speaking of material/disposable wealth. The context of my original post was in regards savings towards higher-education, assets, and healthcare services... being a penny-pincher today, yet having no benefit later, sadly.

SilverStone05 said:
Just had to rant....in my profession you run into boneheads everyday who would rather buy beer than spend 40 bucks a month on a term policy to protect their families. Its really disgraceful.

Everyone has their priorities... sad to say!

If people didn't drink, smoke, and over-eat... I'd be out of work!

SilverStone05 said:
Boohoo....we all pay taxes. If you think your taxes are obscene, go move to another country....you'll pay even more.

Hmmm.... uhh did you even read what he said?!? He has no incentive to go out of his way to save, he's gonna have to cough it up eventually. Yet, if he had a good-time w/ the money, over-extended himself all the while not having much liquid capital/assets... he'd be better off (regarding taxes owed, gov't education grants, and other things)

SilverStone05 said:
You get tax breaks for getting married, (in most cases) you get tax breaks for having dependants (children), you get tax breaks for owning a home. You get tax breaks for contributing to qualified accounts.

These are token give-backs by Uncle Sam. If you're at a certain point in your life, leasing a property is more advantageous than to owning it and dealing w/ the mortage + property taxes (most of the equity you put in is going down the drain in the form of state, county, township/municipal, city, school taxes).

$250k home: 25% down; $1500 mortage payment, 2.85% tax-rate = $7225 annual tax (~$600/month).

SilverStone05 said:
You don't get tax breaks by acting irresponsibly....

Fiscal financial responsibility is way of thinking, either you got it or you don't.

Thanks for the insights, Bud Fox.

Re: invest in currency speculation & precious metals, lol...

Osiris_x11 said:
Check your own nose before you open your mouth, poseur. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure in what context you are calling me a poseur. I'll be honest, I do like to argue, but when I argue it is in an attempt to learn something, not trash someone else. Just keep that in mind....cause I do appreciate your point of view.

Osiris_x11 said:
I wasn't referring to retirement, 401K's, and other such financial instraments. My post was about being thrifty, economical, and conservative in spending... yet not getting desired benefits from it in the long-run.

Whats illogical here is that you are talking about saving and you were not referring to any of the tax advantaged plans I noted before. The incentive under these plans.....GRANTED by the Government....is that your funds are not touched until a certain date, or NEVER at all. I think that is a great incentive to put money away for a long run benefit.

Osiris_x11 said:
Case & point... you gave case a and case b. i've shortened it so this post isn't longer than it is.
What's the incentive to save?!? :confused:

I'm right out of college and up to date on FAFSA and the like. For federal aid they look at four factors.....income/assets/number of dependants/race.
The simple fact is....if both those families have the same number of kids, and they were white, neither would receive much if any aid. They could get loans and other instruments you have to pay back, but no free money.

Osiris_x11 said:
Seems like sound advice, I'm not a BBA/Acct'ing/Finance grad'.

I'm glad you agree here.

Osiris_x11 said:
Being in a 25%-33% tax bracket (for example), then paying state & local taxes, sales tax, property taxes (if you own), having a certain deduction from wages for health/pension/social-security... it adds up. Yes, in other Western countries taxes are roughly 40-45% across the board for earnings. However, income is higher and you do get free healthcare, free primary AND secondary education, pension, and plenty of social services - if need be, etc.

Sure it adds up....but the single person spending all their money and the person saving it are paying the same amount in taxes. Actually the person saving may pay less due to their tax deductions for 401(k) and 529 (if they plan on having kids one day) contributions.

I'm not sure about salaries being higher elsewhere....but I am sure that gas, property and energy are cheaper in the U.S. than most anywhere else. As for me, i'd rather have the lower taxes and take care of my health, college and retirement myself rather than have the goverment breathing down my neck and telling me what to do as I shell out MORE taxes.

Osiris_x11 said:
Don't get me wrong, I do prefer the 'States... but there isn't as much tax relief here as one may assume. It's just that you get more for your money here in America that makes it all the more attractive!

I disagree with the tax relief statement, but agree with the more for your money.

Osiris_x11 said:
You're speaking of material/disposable wealth. The context of my original post was in regards savings towards higher-education, assets, and healthcare services... being a penny-pincher today, yet having no benefit later, sadly.

And i'm replying in context to your original post...
...being a penny pincher and saving for higher education = 529.
...being a penny pincher and saving for healthcare = HSA.
...being a penny pincher and saving for retirement = 401(k), IRA...etc
The benefit for saving is the tax deferral and the simple fact that you have the money

Osiris_x11 said:
Everyone has their priorities... sad to say!

If people didn't drink, smoke, and over-eat... I'd be out of work!

This is true...and the fact that you and many others are employed because of these sloths is one of the few redeeming qualities of this demographic.

Osiris_x11 said:
Hmmm.... uhh did you even read what he said?!? He has no incentive to go out of his way to save, he's gonna have to cough it up eventually. Yet, if he had a good-time w/ the money, over-extended himself all the while not having much liquid capital/assets... he'd be better off (regarding taxes owed, gov't education grants, and other things)

This is simply not true.....if you don't save, you have nothing. When you do save, you build wealth....yes SOME of it gets taxed, but you still have something show for it.

Osiris_x11 said:
Fiscal financial responsibility is way of thinking, either you got it or you don't.

Thanks for the insights, Bud Fox.

And I think i've got it down. You're welcome for the insight.

SilverStone05 said:
I'm right out of college...

That explains a lot. Come back and tell me how taxes are reasonable when you've had multiple years in a row where you've paid more in taxes than you have in housing and cars.

My home deduction sucks because I was responsible enough to get a 15 year loan at a low interest rate. I could buy cars on a HELOC and save a bit more, but that is irresponsible. There are numerous other examples. The root of it all though is that this country punishes success and punishes responsibility.

Dave Hardy said:
The root of it all though is that this country punishes success and punishes responsibility.

I agree, unless you are a large corporation. Then the government will bend over whenever you ask them to. But I guess we are just talking about personal finances here though.

Dave Hardy said:
I agree that the tax code encourages irresponsibility. I live in a house that is wayless than what I could actually afford. I have no kids. My taxes are obscene. If I lived in a house that stretched my limits and had kids that I could not afford, then my taxes would be very low.

Honest people living in big houses with kids don’t have “very low” taxes.

well, I personally takes 50% of my income to do investment in mutual funds and stock market

I get 300% increase from the past 5years investment in stock market
I have just been doing "mutual funds" investment for 12months but received 80% return (thx to oil price increase) **I bought "world energy funds"

My tips are;
(1)for stock market. one should not trade all the time, but only trade whenever the market crashes big time **about 2 times per year.
(2)for stock market. one should understand what market is the topic of the year (or the period) and whenever a new company of such market is listed, buy a small share and keep it for a long period (say 1 year)
(3)for stock market. one should understand what the company is doing, its debts (vs its value), and its profit **NOTE: only trade company that makes money!
and most important, one should know that such market is still has a good future in the coming 36months... (or simply, very stable, or a near monopoly market)
(4)for mutual funds. well this one has ups & downs...sometimes, the world just has a bad year..
in a good year, buy the "most popular market/world trend" (such as oil price increase in 2004/2005)
in a bad year, find a "conservative fund" (and switch all moneys to it)
**this can keep the loses to the minimum..and you can make things up in a good year.

finally, one must not be greedy!
if you can make more than the rising of "living cost" ratio, you are already a winner
*for example,
bank interest rate = 6% (if you can make 10% per year, you are already well off)
consumer product price inflation (increase in living cost) 2% per year, if you can make
10% (beating the bank saving account interest rate at the same time), you are definitely a winner too.

additional note;
for the mutual funds, many know that the service fee can be very expensive when switching funds! (+ the management fee per year)
however, there are new plan available now from various insurance company

I personally use AIG's plan
they have 2 great plans.

(1)
one must invest a fixed amount every year
the mutual fund investment plan has a period from minimum 5years to 15years maximum (I use 11years and 15years plan)
the good part is you can switch mutual fund without service fee!!
plus, there is no different in buy/sell prices!!
in other words, (for example)
my world energy fund is US$20.50 today
I can enter "command" to switch all the fund to "Japan Equity market" (sold at US$20.50) and switch to "Japan Equity" (at US$25 per unit, as listed the same day)...and no service fee!!
it only charges me an annual management fee of 1.2%

(2)
one just need to invest one time (minimum US$20000)
the investment plan last 5years.
again, you are allowed to switch funds anytime you want without service fee.
again, you will be charging a management fee annually!

I live in HK, so I don't know if other country has this kind of plan available.
it is much better than the mutual fund plan providing by the banks (which is fixed to one mutual fund only and very expensive service+management fee)

Osiris_x11 said:
Marlboro Factor?

Bud Light Factor?

Powerball/Lotto Factor?

Bottled Water Factor?

Name-brand Factor?

Fuel Economy Factor?

Heating/Cooling Factor?

You forgot the NSX Factor.

The go-fast crack pipe Factor.

And Factor X Factor. :tongue:

Anybody ever read the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" which was a best-seller a few years ago? I read this book and it really opened my eyes about money. Most people in this country, and I mean 99.99 percent of us, don't really understand money. The author of this book is no "brain surgeon" and doesn't pretend to be, but he is smarter than most simply because he was able to absorb a few basic lessons over the course of his lifetime. The author favors real estate because of favorable tax treatment, but really doesn't advocate any particular class of assets. Just buy assets regularly, and keep buying them, and buy them some more.

Without going into excruciating detail, the author teaches us that what he learned was that you have a few distinct "jobs" in life. As a young person you should pursue an education, then as an "adult" you have two distinct jobs. Your first job is your "profession" which is being an engineer, attorney, truck driver, or whatever profession you choose. Your profession pays your bills and gives you access to money. Your second, and more important job, is to build wealth. This means that instead of buying liabilities, like bigger and bigger houses, new cars, boats, etc (all things that I like) you should buy assets. Simply put, assets earn money for you and liabilities take money from you. This lesson is so simple but it is lost in the American system, whose economy is built on spending. The author shows us how to put money to work for us, instead of working for money, by buying assets. So if you invest in, say, a mutual fund, or whatever, then you are sending a dollar out to work for you. And the more dollars you send out to work for you, the better. The goal, of course, is to send enough dollars off to work that they return enough money to you that you become wealthy*. In other words, you become able to live off the yield from your investments. The secret of money is that there is no secret. When you send that dollar off to work, it doesn't need a day off or a vacation or get sick. It will work for you essentially 24-7 with a relatively modest amount of attention. Very few of us will make it our whole lives without illness or some interruption in our working lives. So buying assets affords the possibility of better weathering a serious illness, or simply surviving retirement without becoming part of the dependent class, with the ultimate goal of becoming independently wealthy.

My definition of *wealthy is when you don't work for money, your money works for you. So an attorney might be affluent while an auto mechanic might become wealthy, because the auto mechanic bought assets while living below his means, and eventually became able to support himself solely based on his assets, while the attorney pursed the home mortgage interest deduction, "lifestyle", and larger and larger toys, but didn't buy enough assets to ultimately become financially independent. The financial classes might be described as poor (dependent class), working class, middle class, affluent, and wealthy (also known as rich). So what is the best way out of the poor class? A job. And what is the best way out of the working class? Education and a better job. How do you get out of the middle class and become affluent? More education and a better job. We can see that at every step of the way the clear answer is education and gainful employment. It is possible to skip a class with enough education and gainful employment. So how does one become wealthy? This is where I think the american education system fails, by omission. The system deliberately DOESN'T teach us how money really works, so I don't think education will really help in this instance. Learning how money works is really up to the individual. If we learned how money really works in college, we would leave college not being so willing to become part of the system. I remember very distinctly in high school, as a group we asked our AP English teacher why the public education system didn't seem to teach us anything practical. She just shrugged. She was bright and dedicated, and it wasn't her fault, she didn't set the curriculum. But she was required to teach the curriculum that was set. It is not in the system's favor for the system to teach us how the system really works, so the system teaches us to be employees, not entrepreneurs. I believe that to become wealthy one must diligently follow the path laid out in "Rich Dad, Poor Dad"; buy assets. Buy them regularly. Then buy them some more. Then keep buying them. This seems like simple advice, but apparently it is lost on most of us. We buy larger and larger houses on the notion that we are buying assets. We buy more and better toys because we are conditioned to be consumers. We dig a larger and larger hole.

And who likes the home mortgage interest deduction even more than we do? The banking industry! If we like it, they downright stone cold love it. The system is designed to "reward" us with a tax reduction based on how much interest we send the bank. So, say, for every thousand dollars we send the bank in interest (My definition of interest is money I will never see again) we get a tax rebate of $300. Already this seems like a scam to me. But Americans pursue it with fervor! The public reasons that, if they got back $300 for every $1000 in interest, they would get back $600 for every $2000 they spend. Woo-hoo! So they set out desperately to trade up in houses to get that $600, without much thought to the $2000. Which I totally don't get. I think the public would be much better off by staying in the smaller house, paying the extra taxes, then using the remaining $700 monthly to invest in assets. I agree that it is better to own a house than to rent, but I don't think a house that is twice as big is twice as good. I actually think it's twice as bad. It's just bigger, with more rooms to fill with furniture and electronics (more consumption), larger heating bills, and higher property taxes. I would actually like to see the home mortgage interest deduction abolished, because I think it distorts the value of housing. And I am a conservative*. But I am seriously in the minority in thinking it should be abolished. What would happen to home values if it were abolished? Well, I think they would decline by roughly the value of the deduction itself. Which I think would be a good thing, because property taxes should decline accordingly, and a more rational approach to home ownership would be restored. But be assured that there are millions of Americans who are leveraged to the max, and do not want to lose the home mortgage interest deduction, because their budget is already stretched so thin based on receiving that tax rebate that they can't afford to give it up. Then throw in a few HELOCs and pretty soon they have spent the house anyway.

We Americans pursue the home mortage interest deduction like the donkey chasing the carrot. We are the donkey; we can't step back and see the big picture, because we are chained to the cart. If we could see the whole picture, we would stop pulling the "cart" (the american financial system). Which wouldn't be good for the cart (system), but a lot better for the donkey (us).

In the future, your property taxes will be as much as your mortgage is now. Ask any elderly person what their mortgage was in the 1960's, and what their monthly property taxes are now. In most places the property taxes now outstrip what the mortgage used to be. So you will never really get that house paid off. You will pay either the bank or the government your whole life.

*Conservative - Not the only reason, but one reason I am a conservative is because I am a taxPAYER. If I were part of the dependent class, I would be a tax USER, and might be a liberal. I work Monday, Tuesday, and part of Wednesday for the benefit of the Federal and State Governments, respectively. Between me and two other taxpayers, we will also be the sole form of support this week for one person on social security, to include medical care as well as actual cash. I spend the balance of Wednesday working toward securing my own retirement, in order to not become a tax USER at some future time. I work Thursday and part of Friday to pay my bills in order to keep a roof over my head, once again in order not to become a tax USER. The rest of Friday, if any Friday is left, I earn money to buy a few luxuries, say a vacation somewhere nice once a year. And if I am successful, I get to pay MORE taxes, and at a higher rate, based on the "progressive" tax code that the liberals are so proud of. The liberal system punishes success (higher taxes) and rewards failure (free stuff!), so if you are a liberal and are proud of all that free stuff that is being provided for your dependent classes, you might be onto something. Maybe I should convert. Being a conservative is hard and a lot of work, plus you get called a lot of names, like greedy and insensitive, and worse. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to just throw in the towel and be part of the dependent class. Ironically, the appeal of the liberal system is based on the success of conservatives. If we threw in the towel the liberal system would fail because there would be no one to actually pay for all the free stuff the liberals love so much. We would stop pulling the cart. Also, I am not a fan of free health care, ironically, because I don't think I can afford it. It would only be free to the dependent class, us people with jobs would see a brand new deduction in our paycheck, a deduction which would have to be pretty large. Where else is the money gonna come from? Someone once suggested to me that if we eliminated government waste, we could afford universal health care. I don't really disagree with this in theory. But if that would actually work in practice, why not eliminate the waste first, then come up with a new entitlement program after you succeed in eliminating the waste? Since this will never happen, we can see that this really wouldn't work in practice, therefore I am guarding my paycheck. And just try getting a congressman to give up pork. One man's pork is another man's job. Every taxpayer dollar has a constituency, but does the country really need a "bridge to nowhere"? I don't really blame the senator from Alaska for bringing home the bacon, but I do blame the rest of the senators for going along with it. If this isn't government waste, what is? The appropriations system is woefully broken. No repair in sight though.

Say you were to save $5 per day and did that everyday. What would you do with the money. I'm curious to see what people would do differently.

White92 said:
Say you were to save $5 per day and did that everyday. What would you do with the money. I'm curious to see what people would do differently.

How many days would we save it for before we could spend it?

DanO said:
Yea, but the principal payments are!

Live below your means, even if you have to borrow to do it.
-John Cramer

DanO

I am not sure what you mean. I emailed my accountant and here is her reply along with my question....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope everything is going well with you.

If I borrow money on a rental property is that borrowed money subject to tax? Is any part of the repayment of the borrowed money subject to tax?

Steve

Steve,

What is the purpose of borrowing the funds? Personal or business? If the funds borrowed are put back into the rental property, then the interest paid on the loan would be considered a rental expense.

If the funds borrowed is purely personal, then any interest paid is not deductible as a business expense. The funds borrowed is not considered income to you, nor is the amount paid back.

Simonetta

Okay, I just dug this thread up from back in 2005....

In light of the past few April 15ths....

I must say that i've changed my tune regarding income taxes after working and thriving in corporate America.

Queen - Thanks for the article.
Osiris/Mr. Hardy - Thank you for attempting to talk some sense into me. Though we are one the least taxed nations, the burden is still very tough. :biggrin:

Good read. Thanks for digging up this thread.

Back