• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

financing a NSX

For some reason I seem to have no luck with credit unions. If I were you I would try to finance with the bank where you got your suzuki. At least you have history with them. I tried 4 different credit unions and only two would finance the NSX. My credit score is only 705. The best rate I got from a credit union was 12% based on year. I went through Wells Fargo Bank and got 5% @60 months on the 03'. Good Luck.

and I thought my car costs me too much money without any payments. Unless some of you live with your parents I have no idea how you do it.

I financed mine through USAA, at first they gave me the "its only worth $14k" but when I asked them who they got their vehicle quotes through they said Kelly Blue Book. I told them I was looking at the Kelly Blue book and I think the value was 28k or something like that. They brought it up on the actual website (not their database) and sure enough they financed me at 5%

I financed mine through USAA, at first they gave me the "its only worth $14k" but when I asked them who they got their vehicle quotes through they said Kelly Blue Book. I told them I was looking at the Kelly Blue book and I think the value was 28k or something like that. They brought it up on the actual website (not their database) and sure enough they financed me at 5%

For how long?

I just went through this to get my 92. I looked at local credit unions, Navy Fed, Pen Fed and the other national/military based credit unions, none of them were willing to touch a car over 7-9 years old, before even looking at my credit history. I did manage to get Wells Fargo to do a variance on their normal loan approval process based on good credit but they wanted to charge a very high APR. Wells used to offer a collector car loan product but I'm not sure they have it anymore.

I got lots of recommendations from NSX Prime and I believe most people financed through these institutions before the economy tanked, which means, at least for me, none of these recommendations were valid since all the lenders have age limitations in place.

I ended up going with J.J. Best and I have had a good experience. They know what they are doing since they specialize in collector, exotic and specialty cars. I did have a delay of a day or two in them not getting the paperwork right, but all in all it was a very easy and pleasant experience. I read a review or two online that was negative but my experience with them has been great. I got what I consider to be a great rate. My only gripe is they do not offer automatic or online payments.

and I thought my car costs me too much money without any payments. Unless some of you live with your parents I have no idea how you do it.

Surprisingly, some of us actually make a good living thanks to hard work, education, luck and/or a combination of all three.

What we have seen now is a clash if cultures. I grew up in the don't buy it unless you can pay for it (cash), pride of ownership; today we see the finance it, have to have it right now, pride of possession, crowd.

I guess it is all what you are comfortable with. I have lived on my own since I was 17, paid my way through school as I went with no student loans, and have never received a hand-out.

Buying an expensive car without first having secured your living requirements, having some serious money in the bank, a good career, etc. seems risky to me. But best wishes.

Cairo I totally agree with you.

you can't buy something if you cant afford it.

to say I drive an NSX but I live at my parents house. really brings in the chicks

wait till you get your own place, have your own TV and Furniture

then buy the car of your dreams to put in YOUR nice garage.

to buy an NSX living at your parents house just to show off to your buddies that drive civics isnt the best plan in my book.

But that just my opinion

you can do what ever you want in Your life.

to say I drive an NSX but I live at my parents house. really brings in the chicks

Yeah, just like telling 'em you have a newborn baby. That really pulls 'em in. :smile:

My nephew (I call him "the slacker") is 24, lives w/parents with no indication of moving on, works part-time at a gym, and gets laid like a rug. Looking at his "friends" on Facebook, you would think you 're looking at tryouts for Playboy magazine.

Damn kids... :mad:

My nephew (I call him "the slacker") is 24, lives w/parents with no indication of moving on, works part-time at a gym, and gets laid like a rug. Looking at his "friends" on Facebook, you would think you 're looking at tryouts for Playboy magazine.

Under those conditions I think I would have no indication either! If it ain't broke don't fix it. :biggrin:

What we have seen now is a clash if cultures. I grew up in the don't buy it unless you can pay for it (cash), pride of ownership; today we see the finance it, have to have it right now, pride of possession, crowd.

I guess it is all what you are comfortable with. I have lived on my own since I was 17, paid my way through school as I went with no student loans, and have never received a hand-out.

Buying an expensive car without first having secured your living requirements, having some serious money in the bank, a good career, etc. seems risky to me. But best wishes.

DTrigg hinted at this, but this spells it out well. Amen.

Under those conditions I think I would have no indication either! If it ain't broke don't fix it. :biggrin:

I argue with his mom (my sister) all the time about how she's not getting him prepared for real life. She's actually "proud" of all the girlfriends he has... :rolleyes:

But...more power to him. Someday he'll be old and fat like me, but I'm sure he'll have better stories to tell!

Last edited:
What counts as secured living requirements? A house? Cant really expect any 20-25 year old to buy a house in this market. Guess an apartment will have to do

What counts as secured living requirements? A house? Cant really expect any 20-25 year old to buy a house in this market. Guess an apartment will have to do

Really? A 10% down payment on a house in an EXTREMELY depressed market should be some one's objective if they desire home ownership. Depending on the market, it may be more prudent to rent versus buy. That being said, and depending on what market you live in, lots of 20 -25 year olds should be looking to purchasing a home as their primary residence or a secondary rental home.

I guess the question is should someone finance a depreciating asset? As a former business person, that is currently retired, it makes no sense at all to me.

The real question that has been asked here is should some one finance a depreciating asset for what ever reason, or should some pay cash for that feeling of obtaining something they desire? I guess the real question is why you want to buy a NSX?

"In Touch Credit Union" (formerly known as EDS Credit Union) will loan up to $22K for as old as a '91 NSX as long as it has less then 80K miles.

Over that mileage = deal breaker.

Not sure about much newer models & the amount they'll do there.

Really? A 10% down payment on a house in an EXTREMELY depressed market should be some one's objective if they desire home ownership. Depending on the market, it may be more prudent to rent versus buy. That being said, and depending on what market you live in, lots of 20 -25 year olds should be looking to purchasing a home as their primary residence or a secondary rental home.

I guess the question is should someone finance a depreciating asset? As a former business person, that is currently retired, it makes no sense at all to me.

The real question that has been asked here is should some one finance a depreciating asset for what ever reason, or should some pay cash for that feeling of obtaining something they desire? I guess the real question is why you want to buy a NSX?

The real issue is i am just starting my career and i have no idea where i will end up location wise. I need to stay mobile, i cant lock myself down with a house ill never end up selling if i need to move, ect. The reason i want a NSX is im a hardcore car enthusiast, and im tired of staring at peoples cars at car shows and watching my friends ride around in STI's, M3's, 335is, im sick of being a dreamer, if i can make a controlled well planned out purchase of an NSX then im going to just do it.

If you like to buy it and can afford it (only) with no other expenses then I say go for it but do shop around for a good deal. Settling down in life? That is a myth and some fantasy we all made up. Even having nsx is also a fantasy we made up but at least you want it and sure about it.

I had nsx when I was sharing apartments with friends to save rent and could not go out as much as I wanted. I have no regrets!! I will do it all over again if I had to repeat. Of course, if I had bought a house, I would have been rich!

Good luck mate!

The real issue is i am just starting my career and i have no idea where i will end up location wise. I need to stay mobile, i cant lock myself down with a house ill never end up selling if i need to move, ect. The reason i want a NSX is im a hardcore car enthusiast, and im tired of staring at peoples cars at car shows and watching my friends ride around in STI's, M3's, 335is, im sick of being a dreamer, if i can make a controlled well planned out purchase of an NSX then im going to just do it.

Then you should listen to your convictions and do what makes you happy. Good luck to you in what ever you decide to do.

I love these threads. There will always be the usual words of wisdom saying be smart with your money and on the flip side, you only live once.

No matter what ppl will say, the OP usually has his mind made up so there's no point trying to persuade him/her otherwise. So, we should just answer his question.

So you buy it lol. Like i said, im the "slacker" who lives with his parents driving a car worth more than almost all three other cars they own put together(2002 m3, 2003 335i, 2001 gmc yukon). Luckily i already had the girl so thats not the problem. I want to move out bad, but like everyone saus times are hard now. In my mind and my personal choice, it was A: 350z gets bought back on crazy lemon law and i get a check of 22 grand meaning the nsx would cost me as much to finance as another 350z/g35. I could buy the sickest, most reliable japanese car in history. On top of that i am just about done with school, work is stable at ups, and my parents added a second 2 car garage just for me and my bro to park the nsx and m3 in, very nice of them. B: i move out, take 22g to buy a cheap car (though i am a huge car enthuaist) and put the rest down for a house. Part time at ups wouldnt pay bills so drop back on school to get a decent full time job with no degree so pay is crap most likely, finish paying for school out of pocket cause ups pays for it now, move into an appartment till i could save enough for a house, then hopefully in 6 more years finish school, get the house and hopefully the nsx. My choice was obvious: finish school while owning the sickest car ever living rent free with my parents who provided me my own garage. I would rather have what i have now than try to buy something like a house i cant afford..... Plus i can always find the millions of houses out there to live in, but theres only a handfull of nsx's that i would want ;)

Who has the quote, "buy now, cry later" cause thats what you should do. Im helping a friend get an evo. He can easily make a payment up to 30k financed out, but with literally 0 credit in these times, its making it difficult. Again, to the op, do what makes you happy. At the end of the day you either have an nsx or you dont, it doesnt matter if its cash paid or financed, its yours and thats all that matters.

Last edited:
Whoo-boy. This is who'll be running things when we're old... :eek: :frown:

How about this plan:

1) Work part-time @ UPS, putting every cent in the bank/mutual fund, etc.
a) Help parents with food/mortgage/home maintenance.
b) Drive a rusted 1982 Honda Civic, with duct tape holding the rear hatch wiper on.

2) Get your degree asap.
3) Get a good job.
4) Buy whatever you want (house, car, women).
5) Hold your head up with pride.

So you buy it lol. Like i said, im the "slacker" who lives with his parents driving a car worth more than almost all three other cars they own put together(2002 m3, 2003 335i, 2001 gmc yukon). Luckily i already had the girl so thats not the problem. I want to move out bad, but like everyone saus times are hard now. In my mind and my personal choice, it was A: 350z gets bought back on crazy lemon law and i get a check of 22 grand meaning the nsx would cost me as much to finance as another 350z/g35. I could buy the sickest, most reliable japanese car in history. On top of that i am just about done with school, work is stable at ups, and my parents added a second 2 car garage just for me and my bro to park the nsx and m3 in, very nice of them. B: i move out, take 22g to buy a cheap car (though i am a huge car enthuaist) and put the rest down for a house. Part time at ups wouldnt pay bills so drop back on school to get a decent full time job with no degree so pay is crap most likely, finish paying for school out of pocket cause ups pays for it now, move into an appartment till i could save enough for a house, then hopefully in 6 more years finish school, get the house and hopefully the nsx. My choice was obvious: finish school while owning the sickest car ever living rent free with my parents who provided me my own garage. I would rather have what i have now than try to buy something like a house i cant afford..... Plus i can always find the millions of houses out there to live in, but theres only a handfull of nsx's that i would want ;)

Who has the quote, "buy now, cry later" cause thats what you should do. Im helping a friend get an evo. He can easily make a payment up to 30k financed out, but with literally 0 credit in these times, its making it difficult. Again, to the op, do what makes you happy. At the end of the day you either have an nsx or you dont, it doesnt matter if its cash paid or financed, its yours and thats all that matters.

Last edited:
^ agreed. Financing a NSX living with mommy and daddy. That's just embarrassing. It's ridiculous and irresponsible. Any way to each his own. GL

How about we get back to the topic at hand and not judging people or their decisions. Each and every one of us is different and are entitled to our own opinions with how one should live. Though the thread topic is financing an NSX not is the lifestyle I've chosen for myself acceptable to you.

Anyways, back to what this thread is about:

Can someone lead me into the right direction for financing a NSX. A little about me. I financed two two Suzuki GSX R-600 already, just to show a little credit history. My income is about 3500$-4000$ monthly.

Please help,

Thanks

Agreed, as much as I want to add my 2 cents on lifestyle and choices in here, I won't. However, I will speak on behalf of credit unions.

I'm with several credit unions, one of them being Washington Gas Light Federal Credit Union www.wglfcu.org

I've had my account with them for YEARS and I used to ONLY use them for vehicle loans. There used car rates are flat regardless of make/model. If you look on the website, it shows you the structure. If I remember correctly, it's about 4.9%. If I ever choose to get a used car loan, they are by far unbeatable. However, now-a-days, I prefer to pay out of pocket cash and "reimburse" my own account with payments. A 0% loan is better than anything. :)

Last edited:
Back