• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fingerprint Reader To Start Your NSX?

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
Anyone ever ponder this as a way to remote-start but w/o the S2000-type engine-start button...

(whether even feasible or not, I'm just curious)

Fingerprint Reader

DG2-00002.jpg

Mfg Part #: DG2-00002
Product Number: 315838

Platform: PC
Connection Type: Wired
Connections: USB
System Requirements: Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP Media Center Edition
233-MHz or faster processor
128 MB of RAM
45 MB of available hard-disk space
One available USB ports
Limited Warranty: 3 Years (36 Months)

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro..._code=315838&pfp=external&tabtype=pi#moreinfo

That device would require a PC with some sort of Windows OS.

There are inexpensive PocketPC's (HP for one) that authenticate fingerprints and can be used for such a scheme.

I can't see it being useful inside the vehicle (only), but if you can get it to read your print outside the car, unlock it and then allow you to use a S2000 style start button (as you have already been authenticated).

The exterior print grabber would be useful---no fobs or keys to carry around.

Comparing prints require the finger pads to be clean during the enrollment and verification process.

Drew
/spent some time coding biometrics

Agent 000007...

Interesting insights. I only mentioned engine-start since the fingerprint-reader device might not be usable if exposed to the environment (wear/tear, oxidation/corrosion of components, too much Zaino/Zymol, etc'...). Also, I still wanna whip out my unobtanium, a.k.a. monel, key!?! :biggrin:

If possible w/ a pocket-pc, I suppose the challenging part would be building a circuit from the fingerprint-reading device to the ignition/starter (or door-locks for that application) as mentioned by another 'PRIME member, earlier.

I was planning on getting some sort of Pocket-PC/PDA for GPS/Sat-Nav function in the NSX sometime in the future.

osiris
/clueless, but spent time eating cracker-jacks

Nsxdemon81,

As with other engine-start modifications (such as a start button or remote start), I don’t think one would want to change the normal way of starting (turning the key from the ACC2 position to the START position). So, when leaving the car with a mechanic, it could be started the normal way. But when my pal, Osiris wants to impress his passenger(s), he could use the reader.

retinal-scan ID is so 20th century...

Ojas said:
But when my pal, Osiris wants to impress his passenger(s), he could use the reader.

Bro' you know it's trueee!?! :biggrin:

Security isn't my primary focus w/ this gadgetry. I'm just personalizing my NSX to my liking as others often do w/ body-kits, sound-systems, or bling-bling.

I got this planned next, for my interior-lights:

clapper0pk.jpg

Insightful links:

http://www.bioenabletech.com/index.html & http://www.ravirajtech.com/index.html

Last edited:
Imagine having to drive somebody to the hospital and instead of your car starting, that little window pops up to ask if it's okay to send debug information to Microsoft.

Re: Agent 000007...

Osiris_x11 said:
Interesting insights. I only mentioned engine-start since the fingerprint-reader device might not be usable if exposed to the environment (wear/tear, oxidation/corrosion of components, too much Zaino/Zymol, etc'...). Also, I still wanna whip out my unobtanium, a.k.a. monel, key!?! :biggrin:

If possible w/ a pocket-pc, I suppose the challenging part would be building a circuit from the fingerprint-reading device to the ignition/starter (or door-locks for that application) as mentioned by another 'PRIME member, earlier.

I was planning on getting some sort of Pocket-PC/PDA for GPS/Sat-Nav function in the NSX sometime in the future.

osiris
/clueless, but spent time eating cracker-jacks

At this day and age I would have expected such systems to be applied to the automotive industry. I can't see why they can't address all the shortfalls for this application. They could design fingerprint recognition system to unlock doors and retina scan to start the car.... Hmm, how cool would that be?!

Considering what is available now, nothing is impossible.

wonder what all I can scan... ;)

I've got some updates...

My NSX should have fingerprint-recognition ignition start in a few months. The sensor's location will be 'stealthy'. Multiple fingerprints can be stored (toeprints too, lol... :tongue: ) using the reader's sensor. If someone foreign, therefore alien to the sensor attempts authentification, a hidden/integrated console will send out a message to my cel'/mobile. There will be a default code which will go around the fingerprint authentification protocol if you've been rock-climbing, bandaged, burned, swollen, gloved, pirahna-feeding time, etc'. Door-unlocking can also be integrated w/ different sensor to be located on the exterior. For now, I am not pursuing this particular option as a keyless fob or RF-module would offer remote capability in addition to keyless.

As far as Russ' concern of software-glitches/hardware-malfunction, the unit can be easily removed & disconnected. Think of this setup as a 21st century fuel-cutoff switch, because in essence that's what it is.

Audi's A8/S8 is planning to feature a similar fingerprint-recognition setup for ignition startup, as well as personal settings (ie. stereo presets, seat position, mirror placement, driver's engine/susp./transmission settings, etc'...).

NsXMas said:
Does that mean I'll have to chop off your finger to steal your car?

NsXMas, you sure you're in consulting, not the underworld?!? :eek:

*!*!* http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396831.stm *!*!*

S2NSX, retinal/corneal scan is available too... but I find that a bit freaky!?! :biggrin:

Back