• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finished up my latest project yesterday... the NSX Bed for my son!

I had been thinking about getting my child a car bed for some time and then thought one day "I wonder if there are any NSX beds out there?". A vast search of the internet revealed nothing, but the Little Tykes beds were a pretty similar shape/body lines (to an extent). So as I was thinking "I'll just turn one of these into an NSX, I stumbled across cmc140's build(s) and with his perfect execution I decided to create my own for my son!

cmc140's link:http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...car-bed-project-Part-Deux?highlight=child+bed

On to my progress;

The first paint I bought was Valspar for plastic. It sucked. Covered like crap and almost had a pearl color to it. I was NOT happy. After going through 4 cans of it, I could still see through it. It covered like CRAP!

Then, yesterday I bought some Rustoleum with a trigger on the can and a red tab you take off. Coverage was OK, but both the cans I tried (and didn't use much of) ended up with paint running down my hand because of the piss poor design). SOOOO off to the Ace Hardware my Uncle-In-Law runs. Boom, Rustoleum Gloss White 2X Coverage. Traditional spray can style. Covered AWESOME and worked really well. In the spots that the bed was still completely red, you could lay down 1 pass and it would be 99% covered w/out running.

I don't have any pics until I taped off the bed to paint the spoiler and front grille
1450138_759723970720440_819973800_n.jpg

Then for the vents in the side, I didn't feel like trying to tape off two identical vents. So, I drew a template and cut it out. Placed it on some black duct tape I had and cut those in the correct shape I wanted and used them as "decals" for the vents. The Honda emblems are a cheap set off Amazon.com as well as the BBS (knockoff) center caps on the wheels to cover up the screw that holds them on. I figured I'd go with the BBS caps since they sort of resemble LM's (to an extent). The caps come in a concave shape, so I took a piece of round stock steel on a clean spot on the garage floor and rolled it over them to flatten them back out.
1459951_759740924052078_1317921515_n.jpg

Here she is all finished and sitting next to my car
1468623_759749527384551_1395161200_n.jpg

We are going to bring him to daycare for a bit today while we do some stuff around the house (clean - maybe I can get that mess of a garage cleaned up too!) and set the bed up in his room while he is there. Hopefully he'll be as excited as can be. Afterall, he is the definition of a car guy @ only 22 months old...
1455058_757318287627675_919108387_n.jpg

(he actually browses through the pages and will point at pictures, look at me and ask "what's that?". So, I explain to him what it is and if I have time before he asks me about another item will tell him what its for.

For a rather simple project, this was fun! Although the running around because of crappy paint wasn't... He'll be the only kid on the block with an NSX, just like his old man :cool:

Oh, and I originally intended on using the Krylon Fusion in gloss white, but the places that carried it were all out all over town. Walmart didn't eve have any (and I go there as an absolute last resort). The stuff I did use though, said it bonds to plastic, so we'll see... I did wipe the entire bed down with mineral spirits and wipe it dry prior to applying the paint so hopefully it holds up. I bumped it with my knee in a few spots while wearing jeans and it didn't come off, but I'm sure the kid will throw more abuse at it than I did in a short amount of time.

What a nice Dad!

Looks great! Damn had I known I would have given you the one I have hanging on the wall of my garage. We could have tied it to the roof of your car for the cross country adventure. I bet you really would have gotten some looks then.:smile:
I'm onto the next phase which is what to do with it after it's outgrown.
I think I'm going to mount a tv in it, in the garage, or cut it up and make a transformer's costume for next Halloween.

Thank you! Haha, I hear ya. I'm sure I would've REALLY gotten some looks then. I knew the NSX drew attention, but it is truly amazing how many people will break their necks when I'm driving it or snap photos and videos of it.

I was thinking with the bed I will probably hang it on the wall in my shop once he's outgrown it. I see they make a twin size car bed too. I don't know if I'll go through the effort of making another one though, seeing as how we'll probably get him a full size bed after he outgrows this completely.

By then though, he'll be able to tell us what he wants, so who knows.

It was a fun project and we just picked him up from daycare. Of course I intereupted his nap unintentionally, so he was super tired once we got home. He wasn't very excited, but he is in there sleeping on it right now so at least that's a start.

very nice work I was gonna do the same thing but with real NSX parts and doors LOL would have been a 15K bed LOL

Never did care for the look of NSX convertibles;) Just kidding. That bed is really amazing. Great work.

Nice makes me want to work on my sons Disney cars bed! Maybe when I am closer to completing my nsx I will do his bed

This was originally a Disney Cars bed. Boy the stickers were a PITA to get off! I bought it second hand from craigslist for like $50 I think. The cool thing about the cars bed is the wheels, whereas the others just have a generic sort of wheel. Lol - I think all said and done with paint, tape, emblems, etc I'm about $120 into it. It would've been a lot cheaper if the first paint I had bought and painted it with had actually covered properly. Don't buy the valspar plastic paint, that's all I can say!

And he slept through the entire night on it - he's always slept in what looks to be the most uncomfortable position, but we did sneak a picture last night...
1463039_10202354026594504_540901860_n.jpg

I tried to do that same thing to that same bed only to find that paint won't stick to that kind of plastic. Little Tikes says so themselves too. I realized I could scrape it right off with my fingernail and after trying several types of paints and primers I abandoned the entire idea knowing it'd look terrible after 10 minutes of kids climbing around on it. I hope you have better luck than I did.

I tried to do that same thing to that same bed only to find that paint won't stick to that kind of plastic. Little Tikes says so themselves too. I realized I could scrape it right off with my fingernail and after trying several types of paints and primers I abandoned the entire idea knowing it'd look terrible after 10 minutes of kids climbing around on it. I hope you have better luck than I did.

I have done two of these and they have held up extremely well. However, I have girls and that may have something to do with it. FWIW, my advice for painting anything is using a good pre-paint cleaner. I have a gallon I got from Sherwin Williams over ten years ago. I've only seen it sold at auto paint stores, but if you use it before you sand and then before you paint you can't go wrong.

On my car bed I first washed it with dawn, then wiped it down with the pre-paint cleaner, sanded it, wiped it down again with the pre-paint cleaner, and then painted with Krylon Fusion.
Here's a good link:
http://www.autobody101.com/content/articles/surface-cleaners/

You went a step further than me. I didn't sand and I simply wiped the bed down with mineral spirits and then wiped it with a dry towel. If I nick it hard I can get some paint to come off, however it isn't just flaking off by any means. He's been climbing over the side onto and off of it for the past couple days and it hasn't chipped yet. I figure if it gets to the point where it is beat up pretty good it'll more than likely be on the white area. If that's the case I'll just drag it out to the garage wipe those areas down and respray them to touch them up.

Back