• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First major problem after owning it for one year

Having bought the car exactly one year ago on Labor Day, I found it very odd that the very first problem I have had with the car was when I woke up this morning and the car would not start. It wouldn't even turn over, I assume the battery is competely dead although there was absolutely no advance warning, and I did not leave any lights on or anything else overnight that would have drained the battery. Anyways after looking in the engine for the battery and not finding it, I pulled out the manual and then found the battery in the front hood. I was disappointed to find it behind the spare tire bracket, which has at least 6 bolts, and then the battery was still too far for me to reach, so instead of doing it myself I had the car towed, the first time I am without my NSX, oh well, if anyone has any sugestions on changing the battery yourself, let me know to save me some money next time.

Todd

Take off your watch or rings if you have any.

Remove the braket and all its associated nuts and bolts with a 10mm wrench. Make sure that the metal parts don't make contact with the "positive" part of the battery. If that happens, don't be scare, just move the metal away from the battery.

Use that same 10mm wrench, unscrew the "positive" side first. Wrap it up in a small shirt or towel, so it doesn't touch any metal. Then remove the "negative" side and do the same thing to it.

Drop in the new battery, (slide it in.) Hook up the "positive" side first, then hook up the "negative" side. Just make sure that the metals donot touch one another.

Do all this, and you are done, (it's quite easy.) Like I said, don't be scare by a sparkle every now and then.

I don't know if it's SOP for batteries to die w/o warning; but, I have had 2 do just that. There was no prior indication and the servicing person verified the electrical system as good. I don't think, however, that you should assume your electrical system is good. Have it checked by someone who has the proper equipment to do so and knows how.

Originally posted by NSXSAN
Use that same 10mm wrench, unscrew the "positive" side first. Wrap it up in a small shirt or towel, so it doesn't touch any metal. Then remove the "negative" side and do the same thing to it.

I suggest removing the negative terminal first, that way the chances of shorting out anything are much smaller.

Do not get scared when the sirene of your alarm goes of upon connecting/disconnecting of your battery, the thing is commonly located at the same place.

Mich

No Water

Shotkaller - hmmm, Las Vegas? I wonder if it ever gets hot there?

Since you did not know where the battery was located, that pretty much ensures that you have never checked the water level in the cells. Even though it is a "sealed" battery, the caps can be removed to verify there is enough water. Hot climates will evaporate water, even in a "sealed" battery.

Shotkaller said:
Having bought the car exactly one year ago on Labor Day, I found it very odd that the very first problem I have had with the car was when I woke up this morning and the car would not start. It wouldn't even turn over, I assume the battery is competely dead although there was absolutely no advance warning, and I did not leave any lights on or anything else overnight that would have drained the battery. Anyways after looking in the engine for the battery and not finding it, I pulled out the manual and then found the battery in the front hood. I was disappointed to find it behind the spare tire bracket, which has at least 6 bolts, and then the battery was still too far for me to reach, so instead of doing it myself I had the car towed, the first time I am without my NSX, oh well, if anyone has any sugestions on changing the battery yourself, let me know to save me some money next time.

Todd

Breakdowns are always a pisser but I dont think I would classify a dead battery as a major problem though.

Arata said:
A dead battery is considered a "Major Problem"?
The fact that AFTER ONE YEAR owning it, he need a manual to find the battery that is inside THE HOOD Showed us that it was really a MAJOR problem to him :)

Call AAA to jumpstart your car & bring it to dealer for check up.

Battery Replacement

Since the battery is a disposable part like brake pads, rotors ect I would feel I still haven't had a MAJOR problem. IMO I hope to be that lucky.

ok, i think you need to spend more time with your engine bay and don't try to fix anything else for now.

as for the battery, it could be the alternator, you might have left the door crack open, or it could be that the battery is just dead.

goodluck.

Todd, since ur car is a '94, I won't be so quick as to label the car/battery itself as the ultimate culprit. Maybe it was poor maintenance by the previous owner.

Todd,
You may need to check the connection on the battery, the ring that hold the battery heads (both possible or negative) are easy to get loose on mine, (maybe I tighten the connection too hard for a few time). My battery was die once without warning and I found out that the connection was loose. All I did was put a small thin matel sheet between the connectino ring and the battery head, then I tighten the ring. I never have a battery problem again. Check if the connection is loose, if it is, you may need to do the same thing as I did. Good luck

Coleman

Sometimes batteries just up and die.

I used to have an '85 MR2; I changed the spark plugs one afternoon, and the next day the car didn't start (didn't even turn over). The battery just happened to pick that day to quit, one of life's fun coincidences.

Seriously, how is a dead battery considered a major problem? Go read "Juice's" post about his bad engine in the Technical forum. Then go consider yourself the luckiest SOB for the day.

If this is the original battery - it might be, I've heard of NSX batteries lasting even longer than nine years - then having a nine-year old battery die is nothing to complain about!

Well I just picked it up from the dealership, and it was the orignal battery and it finally died. There were no electrical problems at all. I guess I am lucky in that it really wasnt a major problem at all. They charged me $115 for everything (which includes washing the outside and wiping down the inside), not bad I would say.

Todd

insx said:
The fact that AFTER ONE YEAR owning it, he need a manual to find the battery that is inside THE HOOD Showed us that it was really a MAJOR problem to him :)

Call AAA to jumpstart your car & bring it to dealer for check up.

If over a period of a year, THAT's the only problem he has ever had and claiming it as a MAJOR PROBLEM, then my hat's off to the Honda Engineers ! :D

Having owned american, french and german cars I will take on dead batteries as MAJOR problems anyday...

i've had the experience where occasionally (1 out of 20 times) the car would take about 5 seconds to start after i turn the ignition key. anyone have this experience? is this an early indication of a battery failure?

In my experience with a '94 and now a '97, the car sometimes take a little bit of cranking to start, however that only happens when the engine is warm. When started up from cold, it fires right away.

I don't think this is evidence of a deteriorating battery--it just does that. I have not replaced a battery yet!

Blue Knight said:
i've had the experience where occasionally (1 out of 20 times) the car would take about 5 seconds to start after i turn the ignition key. anyone have this experience? is this an early indication of a battery failure?

Yes, that's what happened to my 9 year old dead Battery too :)
I replaced mine with LIGHTER & brand new one and it start up fine every time.

Todd,

Go for the Oddessy battery as an upgrade over stock. Great battery IMO. I have the the really small one for weight savings and a trickle charger, but she starts up fine every time.

Blue Knight said:

I don't think it is the battery. I used to have the same problem, and I figured out that it happens only when I am not stepping the clutch all the way down. I pay attention on the clutch everytime I start my car now, I make sure I step the clutch all the way down and I start my car fine now.

NSXER119 said:
I don't think it is the battery. I used to have the same problem, and I figured out that it happens only when I am not stepping the clutch all the way down. I pay attention on the clutch everytime I start my car now, I make sure I step the clutch all the way down and I start my car fine now.

I believe you misread him. He probably meant that his engine will turn but wont start. What you describe (clutch not pressed in correctly) will not even make the engine to turn...

Back