• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First Ticket in 15 Years -Acccckkkk!

I'll just make two points. Yes, if you are speeding you should take your lumps, but that doesn't mean you don't try to help yourself out. While I haven't had a ticket since I was 19 driving to college and back I learned to keep my speed within 10 mph op the speed limit. There are very few places that will pull you for staying within 10 mph. Most first tickets are for 14 & under over the speed limit, the next stage is usually done in 5 mph increments. If you go to court most times the judge will at least knock you down one level if you just plead guilty and say you're sorry. I just had to take my daughter in to court twice in the same day. One for speeding and one for an accident. The speeding was knocked down so she didn't get any points and the accident was dismissed because the insurance paid the damages and it was considered a civil matter. I'm not an attorney but I did work for the sherriff's office when I was in my 20's. (A long time ago). Yes police do speed when they are on duty and off and it was courtesy to let officers go. I don't know how it is now.

The main point is no one needs to pay more than they have to or get more points than needed.

Good Luck!
:cool:

Its a ticket.. big stink.

Its not even a special ticket, at that. No running from the cops, drinking beer while waving pistol out the window.. come on, atleast close off the streets and setup your own drag racing strip like everyone else!!! :)

I got my first speeding tickets (in 15 years of driving) a month ago. Even worse, I got two in the same weekend.

For anyone driving on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway in NYC, the speed limit for that HIGHWAY is 45 MPH. I have no friggin clue when that speed limit changed. With the terrible conditions of NYC roads, I probably didn't even get up to the speed limit. Either way, the cop pulled me over, no radar gun (I walked over to his cruiser and didn't see one anywhere in his car), and he wrote me up for going 75 MPH. That's 30 MPH over the limit. Mentioning that my cousin was a cop didn't help because the jerk wasn't hearing any of it. If you think these cops don't have to meet quotas, you're nuts. I saw the cop eye to eye (that's how slow I was driving) as I drove past him (in traffic, 8 PM on a Thursday night) waiting on the shoulder before he got behind me to pull me over. When I saw his face, I knew right away from his look that I was going to get pulled over. I'm waiting for the court date on this one. I'm going to have a field day with this idiot with all the material facts and physical evidence I've got stacked against him.

The other ticket, I got that following Sunday on the way back from Virginia. I got it right before entering the long tunnel (I forgot the name of it) in the Maryland/DC area on I-95. There's no fighting that one. I have no time to take off from work and make a trip down to MD for court. That one was for 80 MPH in a 50 MPH zone. Needless to say, the K40 is now installed and I'm much more alert for cops now.

Speeding and driving reckless are two totally different issues. If you were speeding because someone egged you on (reckless), then you deserve to pay the consequences. We own our cars because of what they are capable of doing. If you're going to tell me that you never opened it up on an open stretch of road with nobody around, then you should sell your car and buy a Civic and drive at your state's maximum speed limit. Otherwise, be responsible and enjoy the car for what it was built for, but only push it to its limits on the track.

Oh, and MegaZap, good luck to you in fighting the ticket. I'd like to hear the outcome.

Just my $0.02 :wink:

2Dobes said:
I can't get over some of these hypocrites... Like this one!
06-27-2005, 18:40 #8
liftshard
Trader Rating: (0)

I also wonder why you are trying to "beat" the ticket.

You are guilty. End of story. Take your medicine like a man and pay up.

If you were racing on an empty interstate, I don't think this is so serious. You mentioned a weigh station, so I assume this was a highway and high speeds on those are not such a sin. That you were baited into it is slightly troublesome.

06-20-2005, 17:50 #108
liftshard

Posts: 65 Re: Speeding: Reckless driving charged in VA = misdemeanor (HELP PLEASE)

Hmm...I never saw this thread.

I have MUCH experience in VA with tickets.

Don't speed on the 267 Toll Road or I66. If you feel the need to go ballistic, choose 395 or the Beltway. I know everywhere the cops sit on 66 and most places on 267. They tend to congregate there b/c there are more places to hide.

However, 66 from 28 to Mannassas, you can open it up. Just be sure to watch in the median gaps.

I got off in Alexandria 95/55 with a $250 fine only. However, I hired an attorney. I've seen people jailed in Fairfax for that. Arlington is the best place to get busted because the prosecutors will talk to you freely. I've pled every charge down, to be honest. Plead to improper, pay the fine, always in Ckt Court on appeal. I cannot remember even showing up for a ticket date for speeding. Just not even worth the waste of time. I do a no-show, then offer to pay the District Court fine on an improper charge to the DAs. They only want to get their money, really. That's all any state particularly cares about.

owned.gif

This I learned from the officer who gave me my last ticket: If you are driving such that you don't notice you are about to get a ticket - you deserve a ticket!

Since then, I can't say I haven't deserved a ticket - I can only say that I pay attention to the road around me. Imagine that!

Moral? If you are aware and responsible - you will never get a ticket. (Notice I didn't say anything about speeding!)

2Dobes said:

liftshard

If you were racing on an empty interstate, I don't think this is so serious. You mentioned a weigh station, so I assume this was a highway and high speeds on those are not such a sin. That you were baited into it is slightly troublesome.

liftshard

Posts: 65 Re: Speeding: Reckless driving charged in VA = misdemeanor (HELP PLEASE)

Don't speed on the 267 Toll Road or I66. If you feel the need to go ballistic, choose 395 or the Beltway. I know everywhere the cops sit on 66 and most places on 267. They tend to congregate there b/c there are more places to hide.

However, 66 from 28 to Mannassas, you can open it up. Just be sure to watch in the median gaps.

I got off in Alexandria 95/55 with a $250 fine only. However, I hired an attorney. I've seen people jailed in Fairfax for that. Arlington is the best place to get busted because the prosecutors will talk to you freely. I've pled every charge down, to be honest. Plead to improper, pay the fine, always in Ckt Court on appeal. I cannot remember even showing up for a ticket date for speeding. Just not even worth the waste of time. I do a no-show, then offer to pay the District Court fine on an improper charge to the DAs. They only want to get their money, really. That's all any state particularly cares about.

liftshard <----OWNED

What are you people thinking? For God's sake --- it's the law, and if you break it you should pay. It's a way for an organization to gain revenue? Right! What is it, almost 50,000 people are killed every year on our highways becaues of stupid drivers.

Do I like to drive fast? You bet I do. I started when I was 6 years old driving 1/4 midgets, then went to open wheel karts, etc., etc., and now SCCA, and that was over forty years ago.

Do I track my NSX? You bet I do. How many of you that believe a ticket is a source of revenue track your car?

You want to speed, that's your business. How many stupid things do you see drivers doing every day? Lots? OK, so that's why they just target speeders? If you violate my space, or the space of my family, I don't only hope you get a ticket, I hope you end up in jail.

Some a***HOLE speeder T-Boned my car and I ended up with a broken neck and all of my ribs broken. After my hospital stays and surgeries, my physicians told me that there was really no reason that I wasn't a quadripalegic and that it was a mericle that I wasn't a parapalegic.

Dtrigg said:
What are you people thinking? For God's sake --- it's the law, and if you break it you should pay. It's a way for an organization to gain revenue? Right! What is it, almost 50,000 people are killed every year on our highways becaues of stupid drivers.
Your logic is flawed here.
It is a simple case of Malum Prohibitum.
Murder is illegal because it is wrong according to common law.
Speeding isn't wrong, it is simply illegal. You can't justify something being wrong because of the fact that it is against the law, thats reverse logic. you need to justify it as wrong for an actual reason (its dangerous, detrimental to society, etc).
Sure speeding CAN be dangerous, but no more dangerous than many other activities which are not prohibited by law. tickets are given out mainly to generate revenue, not uphold the law.
In my small town in Northern California, theres a couple officers whose only job is to write them. Got a mugging on your hands? Officer Nelson wont be there, hes busy writing up someone with an expired parking meter.

Speeding isn't wrong, and that's the flaw in my logic...

Right...

Buy a Corvette.

Dtrigg said:
Speeding isn't wrong, and that's the flaw in my logic...

Right...

Buy a Corvette.

sorry about what you went through, but there's speeding, and then there's reckless. nothing wrong with disobeying a speed limit if it's safe to do so. you sound like you have the attitude, 'if its a law, its just, and should always be obeyed'. perhaps you are even suggesting there are no stupid laws?

try these on:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/272-86.htm
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/272-80d.htm

imagine if they ticketed people for THIS one:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/272-36.htm

2Dobes said:

liftshard

liftshard

I wasn't racing. And, I paid. I didn't "beat" the ticket. I don't "beat" tickets for which I am guilty. By all means, negotiate the best deal you can get, but don't come on here and say, "hey, I was racing on the street and I got popped and I want to get off, so how do I do it?"

Perhaps it was in the phrasing of the question.

I got no problem with speeding. But, when I do it, I know I am breaking the law. And, if I get caught, I'm probably going to pay.

Are speeding laws stupid? Yes. Were they enacted for safety? No. Were they enacted to limit fuel consumption? Yes. Do higher ones increase accident rates? No.

This is all known sh!t here. But, gimme a break. If I drag race somebody, I am allowing them to dictate the time, place, and manner of my speeding, and probably going much faster than I would choose to go on the same road at the same time. That is the difference between speeding and racing. When I speed, I do not go faster than is reasonable. Racing doesn't take this into account. Racing is merely attempting to go faster than some other car irrespective of the surroundings. Much of the time, trying to win requires increasing the danger to others and yourself. That is not mere speeding.

I do not speed on city streets, only the highway, at any rate. Every single ticket I've EVER gotten has been on an interstate highway upon which most cars currently manufactured could safely maintain triple digit speeds. None of them have been while racing anybody. It's because I do not race.

Winning a race against anyone dumb enough to try it against this car would require exceeding 120mph. Anybody in a TL, 330, S4, etc., is going to hit that speed very easily. Even my old '95 Legend GS doesn't break much of a sweat until that mark.

Besides, you missed the entire last paragraph of what I wrote and where I asked the original poster for clarification.

Last edited:
liftshard said:
I wasn't racing. And, I paid. I didn't "beat" the ticket. I don't "beat" tickets for which I am guilty. By all means, negotiate the best deal you can get, but don't come on here and say, "hey, I was racing on the street and I got popped and I want to get off, so how do I do it?"

Perhaps it was in the phrasing of the question.

I got no problem with speeding. But, when I do it, I know I am breaking the law. And, if I get caught, I'm probably going to pay.

Are speeding laws stupid? Yes. Were they enacted for safety? No. Were they enacted to limit fuel consumption? Yes. Do higher ones increase accident rates? No.

This is all known sh!t here. But, gimme a break. If I drag race somebody, I am allowing them to dictate the time, place, and manner of my speeding, and probably going much faster than I would choose to go on the same road at the same time. That is the difference between speeding and racing. When I speed, I do not go faster than is reasonable. Racing doesn't take this into account. Racing is merely attempting to go faster than some other car irrespective of the surroundings. Much of the time, trying to win requires increasing the danger to others and yourself. That is not mere speeding.

I do not speed on city streets, only the highway, at any rate. Every single ticket I've EVER gotten has been on an interstate highway upon which most cars currently manufactured could safely maintain triple digit speeds. None of them have been while racing anybody. It's because I do not race.

Winning a race against anyone dumb enough to try it against this car would require exceeding 120mph. Anybody in a TL, 330, S4, etc., is going to hit that speed very easily. Even my old '95 Legend GS doesn't break much of a sweat until that mark.

Besides, you missed the entire last paragraph of what I wrote and where I asked the original poster for clarification.

You just need to stop before you dig any deeper.
I've never heard such double talk in all my life. So, you don't "beat" tickets for which you are not guilty? Are all the tickets for which you never showed up to court for, bogus? If not, then why didn't you just "pay up like a man" as you had advised our fellow Prime member?
And where do you get off telling someone not to come on here and ask any question in any form that they choose. The last time I checked you were not Moderator. Besides, it was not the phrasing of his question that raised so many eyebrows here, it is your forked toungue. Knowing that you will drive at least 120 mph. (that's where your Legend "breaks a sweat"), do you expect anyone here to believe that you will not speed on city streets? And why would you say someone is "dumb enough" to go these speeds when you've admittedly been there yourself... in a LEGEND... on public highways! I know it was the highway and not a track because you don't race, right? Geeeez.

robr said:
i disagree, i absolutely welcome that.

Same here. Legal and moral are totally different.

But articles like this do:

http://www.motorists.org/issues/speed/speedQA.html
The following information comes entirely from a Washington State Department of Transportation pamphlet on speed zoning:

If safety isn't behind it, what is the purpose of having speed limits?
Safety is always a factor. But the setting of speed limits is, for completely practical reasons, more fundamentally influenced by some basic principles of human behavior. When setting speed zones, traffic engineers base decisions on several fundamental concepts proven over the years to be true:

* The majority of motorists drive in a safe and reasonable manner.

* The normally careful and competent actions of a reasonable person should be considered legal.

* Laws are established for the protection of the public and the regulation of unreasonable behavior of a few individuals.

* Laws cannot be effectively enforced without the consent and voluntary compliance of the majority.

Research and experience have shown that effective speed limits are those that the majority of motorists naturally drive, and that raising and lowering speed limits doesn't substantially influence that speed.

You know, I was just going to start cutting and pasting info, but frankly if you are actually interested in learning about why speed limits are set, and the fact they generally have nothing to do with safety, and that police are stopping speeders not because they are unsafe, but for revenue generation, there are DOZENS of articles, many from sources you wouldn't expect.

http://www.motorists.org/issues/speed/index.html

liftshard, i learned the hard way, on this board it's best that you just don't post about tickets. Most posters who reply love playing armchair cop and will tell you the way that it is, not how I, you or them (if in your circumstance) think it should be. It's nothing that you don't already know, therefore the counterproductivness of posting about it on this site. You should prolly save yourself the time and headache of being bashed and post about things we can all appreciate about the nsx.

NOTE: I'm not bashing, just feeling for you for the replies. :smile:

Back