• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Flat? What to do?

Hi guys...
To those that is using upgraded wheels....17/18 especially 18/19, what do you do when your tire goes flat? What do you do to get back on the road again?

Please chime in!!!

I'm an AAA Plus member. Free tows up to 100 miles I think. Worth it the one time you'll have to use it.

If I go flat in OC, I can call one of the guys in the orange jumpsuits to show up with another wheel. If you have a spare, your tire size does not render it useless either.

The last time AAA touches my car, he scratched my front spoiler.

Malibu Rapper said:
I'm an AAA Plus member. Free tows up to 100 miles I think. Worth it the one time you'll have to use it.

If I go flat in OC, I can call one of the guys in the orange jumpsuits to show up with another wheel. If you have a spare, your tire size does not render it useless either.

Where is the flat's location?

If it is not on the sidewall, I carry with me a plug kit for emergencies, it fits right over the jack in the tool area - never had the oportunity to use it though. But then again, I have labored on compromises that allow me to run on 17/17 with a spare ..... HTH.

I just use the spare as if I had the stock wheels. Sure it rides a little wierd but its just to get home or some place to replace the tire.

I carry a siphon and a match. If I ever get a flat I will pump fuel into the cabin and have a roadside bonfire. Then I do not have to worry about what to do with the flat. :biggrin:

I carry a plug emergency kit. I have used it on several occasions. The last time to help a fellow NSX driver to help him on the road during our Belgium NSX Tour.

Attachments

• Lekke band.jpg
    Lekke band.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 398
sorry budd....AAA doesn't deliver you another set of tires to continue your trip. I found myself on one accasion far from home, calling every tire shop in town for a 19" tire and none avail. To those that runs 18/19..............if you were away from home, how do you get yourself back on the road again?

Zero-Cool said:

yup..............but you know how low my car is. It hurts!!!!

AndyH said:
Does AAA tow your car using flat bed?

Fixaflat works with nail or something related. But when the tire has a hole bigger than you fist, it won't work. My experiences.....2 new tires blown to pieces in 2 weeks :mad:

On long trips when I'm going to be in the middle of the boonies, I keep these two item's in my trunk. Luckily I've never had to use them.

SAFETYSEAL.jpg

8_7__Iron_Foot_Pump.jpg

DocL said:
On long trips when I'm going to be in the middle of the boonies, I keep these two item's in my trunk. Luckily I've never had to use them.

SAFETYSEAL.jpg

8_7__Iron_Foot_Pump.jpg
What do you need a foot pump for. Don't you have a 12v electric one in your trunk?

PoohBEAR said:
But when the tire has a hole bigger than you fist, it won't work.
How did you manage to create such a big hole and not damage the wheel? Was the tire driven on after it was punctured - resulting in the large hole?

The answer is...........the first flat was from a nail that I didnt' know...and KapOW on the freeway. The second, i just Kapowwww...went off the freeway and found my wheel got damage later. Still sitting in the repair shop. :D

Ojas said:
How did you manage to create such a big hole and not damage the wheel? Was the tire driven on after it was punctured - resulting in the large hole?

Just because you upgraded your wheel does not means you cannot use the spare:). It is only when you install big brakes that the spare will not fit. Did I miss something, or did you install big Brembo's under those wheels??

Curious,
LarryB

Larry....I tried using my spare. However, when I finally dropped the OEM jack, the car sits to the ground. If i were to drive as such, I would be scraping every thing under it ...to include my MH side skirt which was also damaged while attempting to lower the jack. yes i am using 19 in the back.

Larry Bastanza said:
Just because you upgraded your wheel does not means you cannot use the spare:). It is only when you install big brakes that the spare will not fit. Did I miss something, or did you install big Brembo's under those wheels??

Curious,
LarryB

PoohBEAR said:
Larry....I tried using my spare. However, when I finally dropped the OEM jack, the car sits to the ground. If i were to drive as such, I would be scraping every thing under it ...to include my MH side skirt which was also damaged while attempting to lower the jack. yes i am using 19 in the back.

I know this may be a dumb question, but this after you inflated the spare tire or before :confused:

Surely with the recommended air pressure for the spare it should bring the car back up as if it was an OEM sized tire no? At least that was my experience on someone else's car.

PoohBEAR said:

if you have a coilover suspension, you could have just adjusted the ride height so it wouldnt scrape. :biggrin:

What do you do if you happen to be out in the middle of nowhere, trunk is full because you are on a 2-week getaway, you have a passenger, and one of your rear 17's or 18's go flat. Where do you put the flat after mounting the spare? hehe :biggrin:

sjones said:
What do you do if you happen to be out in the middle of nowhere, trunk is full because you are on a 2-week getaway, you have a passenger, and one of your rear 17's or 18's go flat. Where do you put the flat after mounting the spare? hehe :biggrin:
Depends on whats more important...the luggage or the passenger. :biggrin:

Do yourselves all a favor and go purchase the spare tire inflator kit used on the Z06 corvette. The kit has a 12v compressor along with a fix a flat substance in a can. If you are out in BFE and you have a flat, at least you are not stranded till some hick in a old style rollback tow truck scratches the hell out of your car. Everything in the kit comes in a little black case that is easily stored anywhere in the vehicle. The Z06 does not have a spare or runflat tires and I find it very useful. Hey, just trying to give some friendly advise. I know it is a chevy part, but it is one of the few smart things they have actually designed.

What I should have said was......................my tire was blown up to pieces and no-fixed-a flat will work....and no compressor will be useful. In my case, I will need a new tire to replace.

btw, thanks for chiming in guys.

The NSX also comes with a compressor, but how different is the "fix-a-flat" stuff that comes with the Z06 from the auto parts store stuff?

Back