• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For All You Fat Asses....

Good news!! A new study is out. Original article here.

Scientists find something good about a big bottom By Julie Steenhuysen
Tue May 6, 2:44 PM ET

A type of fat that accumulates around the hips and bottom may actually offer some protection against diabetes, U.S. researchers said on Tuesday.

They said subcutaneous fat, or fat that collects under the skin, helped to improve sensitivity to the hormone insulin, which regulates blood sugar.

Mice that got transplants of this type of fat deep into their abdomens lost weight and their fat cells shrank, even though they made no changes in their diet or activity levels.

"It was a surprising result," said Dr. Ronald Kahn of Harvard Medical School in Boston, whose study appears in the journal Cell Metabolism.

"We actually found it had a beneficial effect, and it was especially true when you put it inside the abdomen," Kahn said in a telephone interview.

Kahn said he started the study to find out why fat located in different parts of the body seems to have different risks of metabolic disease such as diabetes.

Researchers have known for some time that fat that collects in the abdomen -- known as visceral fat -- can raise a person's risk of diabetes and heart disease, while people with pear-shaped bodies, with fat deposits in the buttocks and hips, are less prone to these disorders.

Now it turns out that subcutaneous fat -- fat found just under the skin -- may be actively protecting people from metabolic disease.

Kahn and colleagues conducted a series of experiments on mice where they transplanted subcutaneous fat from donor mice into the bellies and under the skin of mice.

Mice that got subcutaneous fat transplanted into their bellies started to slim down after several weeks, and they also showed improved blood sugar and insulin levels compared to mice that underwent a sham procedure.

"What we found was that when we put it in either place, there was some improvement in metabolism," Kahn said.

"I think it's an important result because not only does it say that not all fat is bad, but I think it points to a special aspect of fat where we need to do more research," he said.

Kahn's team is working to find the substances produced in subcutaneous fat that provide the benefit with the hope of developing a drug that might copy this effect. Although fat is known to produce several hormones, Kahn said none of the known hormones appeared to be involved in this process.

"If we can capture those (substances), we might have an opportunity to convert them into drugs or use them as guides to help develop drugs," he said.

HA!! Still doesn't help me fit more confortably in fancy Sparco seats :frown: ...which is why I am trying to drop a few lbs. befoer i get them. :biggrin: :tongue:

Been out for a while in different contexts. The fat accumulation that women typically have, in the pelvic region, has few of the negative aspects that come along with the typically fat accumulation in the upper body that men have.

This is believed to be one of the main factors as to why heart disease, artery issues, blood pressure problems, etc. are concentrated in men compared to women and especially overweight men.

Interesting on the aiding against metabolic disease, but that doesn't necessarily mean there is a 'net gain' from the situation overall. I'm sure some doc's can chime in with better information.

For ever pound you are overweight its about 30lbs of pressure in excess on your kneeds, this does not include the side effects such as increased cortizol, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and the list goes on.

I was in the cardiac unit few days ago and noticed 99% of the people in bed were about 50% body fat composition.

For ever pound you are overweight its about 30lbs of pressure in excess on your knees

Actually good call there man. I am trying to get my knees back in shape. Granted they have been through hell and back since my skateboarding, snowboarding, mountain bike racing, days in high school. I am not expecting miracles but the less stress I put on them the better. Not even about the looks really...more about just personal health and goals. :smile:

Actually good call there man. I am trying to get my knees back in shape. Granted they have been through hell and back since my skateboarding, snowboarding, mountain bike racing, days in high school. I am not expecting miracles but the less stress I put on them the better. Not even about the looks really...more about just personal health and goals. :smile:

Squats have made my knees a lot stronger, in fact they made my whole body stronger.

Do this diet 65% fat 35% proteen 5% carbs. You will lose weigh and after 10 days you will have to remember to eat :) And before you say that's too much fat read up.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

I do agree, it is ok to eat fat, but 5% carbs is really dangerous. Potentially counter productive.

I tried that for a span of 2 years, it got me cut to the bone to a point almost too scary, but I could not function normally. Our brain needs carbs. Low blood sugar is dangerous (mood swings, anger, aggressiveness, exhaustion, faint, etc). My physical fitness and energy level actually decreased dramaticly during that period. My opinion is that, what works for someone, may not work for others.

I prefer explosiveness/strength like Bruce Lee in an as small of package as possible, rather than massive size like big body builder that may actually have less performance, not to mention less raw strength. Like cars, excessive weight hurt performance and agility. Sad thing is that with exception of certain types of atheletes. Many people with huge size, aren't very strong at all. I do acknowledge that some sports does require the size. Not basketball, tennis, badminton, martial arts, swimming, cycling, boxing, sking, snowboarding, etc.

Moderation is key to everything. I am extremely into sports/martial arts/wrestling, with less than 10% body fat for 10 years (always consistent) and can slam dunk a basketball on 10 feet rim. I am only 5foot 10, age wise I am defintely outside of my peak. I play at UCI University gym every other day (where Kobe Bryant plays occassionally in the morning) in addition to my cardios in the morning before I leave the house. My diet is simple. Everything in moderation, I do eat lots of meat. Always order 4X4 (-cheese) at IN'N Out, but never binge.

Whenever I am at the gym, I see so many people with unlimited potential, but they have trouble developing it.

Fitness is discipline. People ask me what is my secret all the time including NSX owners. There is no secret, just discipline, stay active, and eat everything I desired. How much do someone want it, how much you are willing to work for it. That is the question.

Last edited:

As a hobby I write up wellness plans at no charge (friends think I should consult) Here is one for you if your body type is an endo-mesomorph.

1/3 Food 1/3 Water 1/3 air for digestion. Your body type is Endo-Mesomorph which means you store half your calories and rest is in Muscle/energy. You should lift moderate weights 7-8 reps upper body one day lower body another, cardio 5 days a week and progress as you endure. I suggest food portions of 60% protein 30 carbs% 10% fat 6 days a week and one day eat what you enjoy.

Nutrion:
Breakfast 3 boiled egg whites, Cream of wheat (oatmeal), fruit
snack protein shake or bar
lunch biggest meal of the day follow portion-nutrion plan
mid day snack protein shake or tuna fish
dinner light meal grilled chikean such as chapotle chikean salad.
starven late meal= 1-2 low fat plain yogurt

Green tea is good snack with honey and ofcourse fruits. Coffee actually helps speedup your metabolizm in moderation its good.

Workout plan
Cardio 45 minutes non stop 80% max heart rate Monday-Friday or 5 days a week. Weight sets keep them 4-5 sets 7-8 reps. Abs calves forarms can be worked on daily if your sore every two days, strech for 30 minutes end of workout 7 days a week.

Monday: upper body weights, shoulder press behind kneck, tricep press, upright rows for shoulders-trapezia, Abs, Calves, streching
Tuesday: Cardio- followed by Abs streching only or punching bags, streching.
Wednesday :Cardio 45 minutes jogging, lower body, lunges, squates, leg curles, Abs,
Thursday: Cardio- followed by Abs streching only or light kicks on the bags, streching.
Friday: Back muscles, bend over rows, pull ups, single dumble kickbacks, seated rows, abs
Saturday: Cardio 45 minutes jogging, lower body, lunges, squates, leg curles, Abs,
Sunday: Off

If you feel fatigue during any days alternate workouts upperbody lower body or simply skip a day if you must but be consistent.

Let me know if you have any questions

Wow. Thanks for tips man. Printing out your plan as a guideline. My workout schedule is pretty much 5-6 times a week for an hour. 3 of those days are dedicated to cardio. The other three are a half hour of cardio and a half hour of weights. I rotate which I workout to keep the workout from getting stale. I've dropped about 25 pounds since January of this year. Granted I am not as disciplined when it comes to the diet but I try.

Regarding the diet though, I have one thing that I do the opposite. I usually have a light lunch and a big dinner. Does that make a big difference? Also if it makes a difference I go to the gym usually before I eat dinner. :confused:

Regarding the diet though, I have one thing that I do the opposite. I usually have a light lunch and a big dinner. Does that make a big difference? Also if it makes a difference I go to the gym usually before I eat dinner. :confused:

Say you eat dinner 7pm and you wake up 6 am, assuming you ate light, 5 hours of digestion and 6 hours of fasting you want to work it lightly. Your goal should be to burn stored calories not recently consumed. Another catalyst in this fat burning process or leaning phase is avoid binging, its painful first few weeks, then eventualy you stop eating for taste but from results of motivation it works even though you might not see the changes in your body others will notice it. Eating lean protein as a snack will suppress hunger pains.

Try to eat light 2 hours before hitting the gym and if your doing a long run 3 hours before. If your body is busy digesting, you will not have your best work out or run, rather feel weak. Bodybuilders who are competing will wake up 3 in the morning and down a protein shake during competition just an example of how far you can take it.

Agreed the title of this thread is funny:biggrin: I would have titled it spiritually thirsty.

Back