• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For Sale Thread Price Removed After Sold

I'm curious, I see that after most items are "Sold" in the FOr Sale Threads, the original asking price is removed. Is there a reason for this? I would think it would be good to see what the asking price was to get a gauge for what things might be worth. Or should I go back and delete the price off all my old sold items?

yeah they delete everything mods, maint and price We should make it were you can add a new post only cant edit the original post after like 1 day

makes me freaking sick what are they tring to hide?

I mean I post something for sale for 100 bucks then joe smow wants to sell the same item he see that I am selling mine for 100 he then has the idea they are worth about 100 dep on condition he sells his for 100

same situation I sell my item for 100 joe wants to sell his he looks at my post I deleted the amount he then has no idea what to sell it for posts ad for same item for 300 someone then emails him asking why so much cuz the last one sold for 100 he joe then feels stupid and pulls the ad and say forget it Im never selling on prime again.

to remove all discriptions of the item and removing the price your asking is MORON DORK JACKAZZ A-H_LE

Agree. It makes it heard to determine value if you are trying to sell the same thing.

yeah they delete everything mods, maint and price We should make it were you can add a new post only cant edit the original post after like 1 day

makes me freaking sick what are they tring to hide?

I mean I post something for sale for 100 bucks then joe smow wants to sell the same item he see that I am selling mine for 100 he then has the idea they are worth about 100 dep on condition he sells his for 100

same situation I sell my item for 100 joe wants to sell his he looks at my post I deleted the amount he then has no idea what to sell it for posts ad for same item for 300 someone then emails him asking why so much cuz the last one sold for 100 he joe then feels stupid and pulls the ad and say forget it Im never selling on prime again.

to remove all discriptions of the item and removing the price your asking is MORON DORK JACKAZZ A-H_LE

I'll just save myself some time and quote this post.

So many times I have tried to value something I have for sale or something I want to buy only to be frustrated by for sale ads where the price has been deleted.

You guys make a good point about trying to value something of yours to SELL..... but I actually browse the ads trying to learn what things cost for me to BUY! So yes deleting the price or description is just fv<$!^g stupid.
Good suggestions above... you should only have 48 hours to edit your ad, then it's locked forever.

I also think once an item is sold, the word SOLD should be added to the TITLE of the tread! (because when i'm looking to buy something, it's like EVERY post i open and spend 2 minutes reading about the item and get excited to buy it, then scroll down to see it's sold! then i open the next ad and scroll down and it's sold... then open the next ad, etc, etc, etc... such a damn waste of time and FRUSTRATING. Cmon it's 2014 we have the technology)

You guys make a good point about trying to value something of yours to SELL..... but I actually browse the ads trying to learn what things cost for me to BUY! So yes deleting the price or description is just fv<$!^g stupid.
Good suggestions above... you should only have 48 hours to edit your ad, then it's locked forever.

I also think once an item is sold, the word SOLD should be added to the TITLE of the tread! (because when i'm looking to buy something, it's like EVERY post i open and spend 2 minutes reading about the item and get excited to buy it, then scroll down to see it's sold! then i open the next ad and scroll down and it's sold... then open the next ad, etc, etc, etc... such a damn waste of time and FRUSTRATING. Cmon it's 2014 we have the technology)

I agree with this too. It helps us save time. I really wish they would leave the asking price and full description up after being sold so we can determine reasonable asking prices. Any ADMINS reading this thread have any input?

This has been brought up several times in length. Nothing has ever been done about it. Perhaps now docjohn will consider a change. If he ever sees this thread. I agree it's annoying and should be left on.

this is the first thread where all the people posting 100% agree with each other I think we all should go play some scratch offs or lotto the stars only align every 3000 years LOL

Threads where the item are sold are locked and closed and have the locked/closed icon. If you look at the icon you won't be wasting time opening a thread. If a thread is unlocked but the item is sold then hit the report icon and report the item as sold and it will be locked.

Last edited:
Did you ever consider that the price listed in the ad is the "asking" price and may not reflect the final transaction price? I don't believe there is much value in leaving the asking price in the final ad. It doesn't mean much.

Perhaps something that might work better is a database or wiki that contains transaction details including the final transaction price. If you make it anonymous, I suspect people will be more willing to add their entry. It's natural for people to not want to disclose what they paid for fear of 1) thinking they overpaid and the opinion of others will be negative or 2) Not wanting to look like a show-off by stating all this money they have (or don't have).

This anonymous database should show the current trend of NSX values for people to judge what their NSX is worth. Cars are worth what people are willing to pay, not what you think it's worth.

Steve

Steve, for me I dont really care about the price... its the Details about the car. If one owner in 07 said the motor was replaced... it would be nice to see that when its being sold as original from a person who owns the car today that you can see former things done to the car and whether its true or false info the current owner got because he had to rely on a persons word vs owners of past.

I have experienced the problem as both a buyer and seller. As a seller, it is nice to see what the going rate is for your piece. If I have a set of used Comptech headers, for example, it's nice to see what they were listed for in the past year. It is true you don't know what the actual purchase price was, but I can get a sense of the correct price by listings that sold quickly versus those that did not. Not perfect, but gave me a good idea of a fair price that would move my piece quickly. Deleting the price and description just ruins this.

As a buyer, the above applies too. In this case, I will know what a good price is versus bad. Otherwise, I might end up overpaying for something. I know docjohn is considering a marketplace revamp, and I hope he takes these issues into consideration.

Did you ever consider that the price listed in the ad is the "asking" price and may not reflect the final transaction price? I don't believe there is much value in leaving the asking price in the final ad. It doesn't mean much.

Perhaps something that might work better is a database or wiki that contains transaction details including the final transaction price. If you make it anonymous, I suspect people will be more willing to add their entry. It's natural for people to not want to disclose what they paid for fear of 1) thinking they overpaid and the opinion of others will be negative or 2) Not wanting to look like a show-off by stating all this money they have (or don't have).

This anonymous database should show the current trend of NSX values for people to judge what their NSX is worth. Cars are worth what people are willing to pay, not what you think it's worth.

Steve

Look at Ebay, we don't know the SOLD price. but we do know the asking price. It helps determine market value. Why is it such a secret what the asking price for an item was. THis is a forum designed to help community members make informed decisions about their cars, especially the NSX, which is a rare car, so our ability to determine value of cars and parts is VERY limited to things like this forum.

There's nothing wrong with leaving the asking price up, along with descriptions, etc. Heck, there's nothing wrong with asking the buyer or seller what they actually paid for it by PM if they choose to ask.

Leaving the asking price, and the description is a continuation of the spirit of this forum. Removing these things like it's a big secret defeats the whole purpose of all trying to help each other make better decisions.

Threads where the item are sold are locked and closed and have the locked/closed icon. If you look at the icon you won't be wasting time opening a thread. If a thread is unlocked but the item is sold then hit the report icon and report the item as sold and it will be locked.
The lock button isn't always put on there. There's several in there right now that are sold and not locked. I'm not going to log in every day and click "report" on several threads... Wouldn't that be a moderator's job? I'm just saying is any every day recurring issue.

The lock button isn't always put on there. There's several in there right now that are sold and not locked. I'm not going to log in every day and click "report" on several threads... Wouldn't that be a moderator's job? I'm just saying is any every day recurring issue.

All moderators are unpaid volunteers who rely upon all members to pitch in and report posts/threads that need to be moderated. If you open a thread and see that it is open but sold and don't take the couple of seconds as a courtesy to your fellow prime members to simply click the report icon then don't complain about reading sold threads. No one is suggesting you log in simply to report threads but if, as you say, you see them everyday and you do nothing about them to bring them to the attention of the mods then you really don't have a valid complaint.

Did you ever consider that the price listed in the ad is the "asking" price and may not reflect the final transaction price? I don't believe there is much value in leaving the asking price in the final ad. It doesn't mean much

Steve

Steve, I beg to differ as well. It actually means a lot. Some items simply go unsold. And I know the asking price may have been too high. So sell right away, and although I don't know the exact "agreed to" price I know that it was within market range. I, and others find this information highly valuable.

Besides sometime you just lose an item that you wanted badly, and you jus want to torture yourself a little more by finding out that it also sold for way less than what you were willing to pay. Just burns your ass more. It's like when you know milk is rotten but you have to smell it anyway kind of thing. Haha

Last edited:
some folks watch items get reduced until they sell, then you can infer a sale price.I agree that its nice to have that data available,and not just a deleted thread with sold......I am looking at the issue.

All moderators are unpaid volunteers who rely upon all members to pitch in and report posts/threads that need to be moderated. If you open a thread and see that it is open but sold and don't take the couple of seconds as a courtesy to your fellow prime members to simply click the report icon then don't complain about reading sold threads. No one is suggesting you log in simply to report threads but if, as you say, you see them everyday and you do nothing about them to bring them to the attention of the mods then you really don't have a valid complaint.

THis is agree with, i know you can't get to putting a "Lock" on sold items instantly. We are very grateful for the hard work the moderators do.

What I'm asking for is that the item leave the most recent "asking" price visible, even after it's sold.

- - - Updated - - -

Steve, I beg to differ as well. It actually means a lot. Some items simply go unsold. And I know the asking price may have been too high. So sell right away, and although I don't know the exact "agreed to" price I know that it was within market range. I, and others find this information highly valuable.

Besides sometime you just lose an item that you wanted badly, and you jus want to torture yourself a little more by finding out that it also sold for way less than what you were willing to pay. Just burns your ass more. It's like when you know milk is rotten but you have to smell it anyway kind of thing. Haha

I agree. Leaving the last asking price at least helps us determine market value. If I'm shopping for a car, and I drive through 5 car lots, and I see 5 BMW 2010 BMW 3351's all with same mileage, and they all have a sticker price visible on them, then I can get an idea of what I might be paying for a BMW 335i. In the same aspect, if I go to that car company's website, they normally leave the asking price for the car visibible, but put a "SOLD" image on the photo of the car. So I know that their asking price for that car was within market value range enough to to entice a buyer to come in and negotiate.

Sometimes we're trying to sell an item here on PRIIME that cannot be found anywhere else in the world, only on Prime, because the NSX is so rare. I just sold some rare OEM pieces of my car. I wanted to price them fairly. I found several sold in the past, but as always, the asking price was removed. I PM'd 5 sellers and buyers and 2 were kind enough to respond and tell me what they sold their piece for. So, I priced mine accordingly and sold it after a couple of months. Both the buyer and myself were happy with the transaction.

At other times, I've asked buyers and sellers of previous items their selling or asking price, and received no response, so I had NO idea what to price it for.

THis is agree with, i know you can't get to putting a "Lock" on sold items instantly. We are very grateful for the hard work the moderators do.

What I'm asking for is that the item leave the most recent "asking" price visible, even after it's sold.

I wish it could be done. I always refuse to delete a price after I lock a thread but if the seller deletes if before the item is reported as sold there is not much that can be done. I have found that more often than not it is the buyer asking the seller to delete to erase the pricing history. It is not uncommon for certain members to try to buy and flip an item for higher prices.

Last edited:
How about not allowing edits of any for sale thread posts? Then just allow weekly bumping of the for sale thread for updated pricing. That would essentially retain all price history. The monthly bump rule is a little long IMO. People looking for stuff in the classifieds watch the threads like hawks so what's the point of the monthly bump rule anyways?

Last edited:
This has been brought up several times in length. Nothing has ever been done about it.

What do you propose be done about it? Lock all posts from editing? Browse through and see how many have been edited. Now you need a team of moderators to make those edits for people and a system to organize it. Is that feasible? Do you have another workable idea?

Back