• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Forced induction options now and in the near future!

Just to summarize we currently have:
- CompTech Supercharger (apprx $8,000)
- Basch Boost Supercharger (apprx $6,500)
- Gruppe M Supercharger (apprx $9,500)

Coming soon we will have:
- NSX Modified / ACR Turbo (apprx $6,000)
- Re-released Bell TT Turbo (apprx $9,000)
- Factor X Supercharger (less then $5,000)

Any others I missed.

Things are really getting exciting and competition is good! On top of that, with the success of the Basch Boost and the demise of Aerodyne you will start seeing used CompTech / TT setups on the market cheap. That will allow a cheap skate like me to finally go forced induction with either a used setup or a low cost new setup. Damn that Doug H. for letting me drive his SuperCharged flamemobile at NSXpo 98!

8P

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

You missed Gerry's turbo kit. I don't recall pricing for baseline kit/installation.

--twc

Hey you guys, you've got a new forum,fill it up
smile.gif

You also missed SpiralMax and the even-more-shortlive Toro/Home Depot leafblower / intake charge compressor alternatives.

biggrin.gif

###########

For us less-current folks, can someone summarize the pros/cons for single-stage vs multi-stage turbocharging for an NSX V-6 motor ??
- cost / complexity
- ease of installation
- ease of tuning
- performance (primarily concerned with torque-rpm curves)

Seems most available are TT, but the higher-power folks (David, etc) seem to favor a single turbo.

IIRC, the single-over-twin is also preferred by the Supra folks.

I didn't know about Gerry's turbo kit?

Please provide links and elaborate on cost, reliability, etc.

------------------
Nick M

OK - I read every post on Gerry's kit.

Couldn't find any pics of the setup. The videos were killer. Worried about maintenance and reliability. Is this a "one off" or a supported kit.

Also - the $6,500 is probably out of my league - still fun to see it!

------------------
Nick M

Nick,
it seems to me that you are giving 1000$ way to much importance. I do not say that they are not important (for many persons it is a big part of their monthy salary) but if they really are to you, why are you planning to invest other 5000$ into a supercharger? And a couple other thousands into gas, oil and tires in the NSX?

I am not interested (at the moment) into forced inductioin, both beacuse you would go in jail here
wink.gif
, because my NSX is still fast enough for me (even after 3 years) and also because I am not ready to pay 6'000 - 10'000 for it. You seem very very interested instead!
biggrin.gif

So why the 1000 are stopping you so much? It is not 500$ against 1500$... it is 5000$ against 6000$!

Anyway, good luck, and keep on discussing. I like the developing the forced induction "war" is having!

I have always been interested in forced induction - just never has it been so close to afordable!

I have had my NSX since 97' and have loved it. Until 6 months ago I was only puting about 5k a year on it. Six months ago I had a 3rd child and non of our cars were working for us.

So I sold the 92' 325 and the 92' LS400 and bought an Odyssey minivan and decided to make the NSX my daily driver. Don't get me wrong - the NSX is powerfull in every way. I have been on the track with it many times and have experianced all the current setup has to offer.

Unfortunately for me - I had the opportunity to drive a well sorted out CompTech car at NSXpo98. Doug H's flamemobile was so fast, cool sounding, etc. WARNING - do not drive or ride in one of these if you are impressionable. It is too much fun and will ruin your finances!

So there you have it. Seriously - if it were the right kit a $1k difference wouldn't make any difference.

I have been teasing myself with forced induction for years and years and have not pulled the trigger. I am starting to wonder if I don't just enjoy discussing it and taunting myself about it too!

------------------
Nick M

Ok, now it seems reasonable!
smile.gif

Whatever 5000$ or 6000$ yiu are gonna pay you should buy the best one that you feel will be better for your car and driving style.
Otherwise you would regeret the choice (...and it is a 5000$ choice anyway not a cheap one!)

Anyway I'd like to ride in the Flamemobile anytime and take the risk of getting hooked!
biggrin.gif

Back