• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Powertrain FS: Type R 4th gears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got two brand new JDM Type R 4th gear sets for the 5 speed. 1.0333
One of the sets has been removed from the pink bubble wrap bag so that I could record a few measurements at my desk.

I'll sell them for whatever it was that I paid for them. (170 shipped)
I'd suggest using them with a Type R 3rd gear of 1.4000. ~$190

I can perform an install service if needed. And I won't charge $5000 like that one supposedly blueprinted transmission rebuild service I saw a while back.... lol whut? its just a giant D-series trans mixed with J-series anyway.

Part numbers for the gears I have are:
23451-PR8-010
23481-PR8-000

nsxIMG_20171026_081355_672.jpg

Nobody?

Still available. Sorry for my delayed replies.

Why are their two different part numbers? What is different to us forth gear ratio?
Interested in oneThanks

Why are their two different part numbers? What is different to us forth gear ratio?
Interested in oneThanks

A gearset consists of two helical spur gears.

A splined countershaft gear that has no synchro teeth on it. These don't wear out unless you run trans out of oil, too much power, etc.

A mainshaft gear that rides on a needle bearing. If synchro blocker rings wear out, the synchro teeth on the synchro sleeve start grinding against the synchro teeth on the mainshaft gear. When this happens, the gear needs to be replaced.

When changing out the ratios, you need both the mainshaft + countershaft gears. When rebuilding the NSX 5 speeds, as the synchro blocker rings (the brass rings) are starting to wear -- a relatively cheap, reliable, and worthwhile upgrade for the non-type R 5-speed trans is to replace 3rd and 4th gears with the type R gears, as this will improve acceleration.

Assuming that the demographic of the potential buyer/interested party is an older, more mature and has had this an NSX as a toy for a many years.. that has reached the point where considerations are being made as to when/how to address the transmission, knowing that eventually it's internal components will fail and eventually need to be rebuilt -- whose plans/expectations are for the transmission to be taken apart/rebuilt only one once. -- I would consider the following parts (aside from the typical bearings/seals/synchro blocker ring replacements):

From NSX-R:
mainshaft
countershaft 2nd
3rd gearset
4th gearset
------
And if your pockets can afford it; upgrading to the 4.235 NSX-R final drive.

A cost effective upgrade would be to just change out the 3rd & 4th gearsets for these type R gearsets.

Still available.

Still available

2nd gear is a must if your changing 3rd and 4th.
The type r gear upgrades are pound for pound the best upgrade a NA1 nsx can get! Fact.

still available

Hi! Do you Have the 4th gear JDM short with sliding sleeve and it syncro? I can arrange shipping to Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back