• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gallardo vs. New Z06

steveny said:
There are still parts of the 14 year old NSX that are not used in mainstream auto manufacturing.

What other vehicle could Dave drive around in and listen to his cassette tapes???

LOL!

Also, I wonder if the new NSX will still require a detuned 252 HP engine if you want an (4-speed) automatic?

steveny said:
Hmmm how long ago did Honda produce an engine with ti rods and valves?

NSX engine doesn't have ti valves - they are steel. But yes, Honda had ti rods 15 years ago. But today the Z06 offers the same technology (and a lot more) at a 1/3 less the cost (not to mention 215 more HP).

The NSX was a break-thru vehicle for its technology, performance, reliability - it changed the notion that a super car had to also be an ergonomic and maintenance nightmare.

IMO, the Z06 is also a break-thru vehicle in that it takes the modern definition of supercar (performance, technology, etc.) (which the NSX helped define) and reduces the cost by 50% or more.

Last edited:
Edgemts said:
The Z06 is nothing without its low price tag.
Its price tag, makes it a performance value/ daily driver/ good bargain/whatever.
It doesnt bring anything else to the table other than good bang for your buck for under 100K.

Who you kidding?

1. The car is $89,900.00 CAD and cheaper in the USA. Nobody comes close to making that much speed for that much money. (Unlimited budget stuff is always easier)

2. The car weighs 3147 pounds. No new car making that much power is close to that weight, until you get to the hyper priced full carbon ultra exotics (Carrera GT/ Enzo) and they aren’t much –if any- lighter.

3. It DOESN’T have a gas guzzler tax! NOBODY else makes that much power and doesn’t get nailed with the tax. The Z06 is far more economical than many “exotic” engines with way less displacement and power outputs. Not just on the EPA cycle either … look at the mileage on the comparison tests and the Z06 is a gas sipper compared with the others.

4. They’re not “single purpose” rides anymore. The car has a large trunk, a decent ride, terrific brakes and handling. The Stability System with Competitive Driving mode is arguably the best system out there for letting you go really fast, but saving you when you need it. It’s a great daily driver.

5. It’s Chevy cheap to service. Oil changes are under $150.00 … try that in an Enzo or Carerra GT. The first Enzo brake job in the US was $30,000.00 … $6,000 for pads and $24,000 for rotors. Two brake jobs buys a Z06 … the WHOLE CAR! Think about it!

6. It’s dead reliable.

I own an NSX and love it. Outlining the above in no way diminishes Honda’s engineering talent, which is probably the best in the world. But don’t dismiss the Z06 as just another big inch American car. In it’s own right, it’s also an engineering miracle.

Bigglesworth - right on! I think that some people may feel like they are "cheating" on their NSX when they look at another car!

headshot99r6 said:
is that true!? if it is that's just sick.

oh yeah the new z06 rules too.

It's true. And the puncture-proof bladder fuel cell in the Enzo (and also the F50) must be replaced every 10 years - I think the cost is like $50k

Bigglezworth said:
6. It’s dead reliable.

I own an NSX and love it. Outlining the above in no way diminishes Honda’s engineering talent, which is probably the best in the world. But don’t dismiss the Z06 as just another big inch American car. In it’s own right, it’s also an engineering miracle.

We will see how dead reliable it is, if it holds up half as well as the Gallardo it will be doing great.

Lambos cheap car- '06 Gallardo - 520hp awd, brakes that will yank the Z06's chain.
Yes its 400+ pounds heavier, its an exotic luxury sports car with performance to match the Z06 and beat it with only 5 litre's
yes its also 3 times the price but its full of top shelf components.

I am certainly not a big Lamborghini fan, but I will say that after a year of very - VERY hard track use, turning faster times than most full race cars, the Gallardo I have here has had nothing thrown at it other than tires, brakes pads,and fluid changes, and its very impressive on the track.
Since this thread is about the Z06 vs Gallardo, I will make sure that it gets revived in around MArch when I can get the Gallardo and the Z06 on the track together and put some video together. :biggrin:

Look, for all you Z06 admirers out there, I hope I can eat my words.
I am not sure if I am looking forward to driving the Z06 or not, I have been so disappointed in every other vette, including highly moddified track cars, z06's etc. that I have driven, that its very hard to even get slightly excited.
Performance, value, and price are all important factors, but when it comes to driving these cars hard on the track many other factors come into play.

I get impressed by different things than most people. After driving the Gallardo and it having just incredible braking ability lap after lap(stock), then taking the calipers off to find Brembo 8 piston calipers the weight half what the NSX's 2 pots are.Thats cool to have on a stock car, yes I know for the price it should have it, but? :smile:

Edgemts said:
Lambos cheap car- '06 Gallardo - 520hp awd, brakes that will yank the Z06's chain.
Motor Trend test data for 60-0 braking.
Z06: 100 feet.
Gallardo: 116 feet.

In the supercar review in August Car & Driver the F430 was best in 100-0 braking: 309 feet (Gallardo cluth died so no test result for 100-0). Z06 (per M/T): 283 feet.

With 6-pot front and 4-pot rear brakes (and 20 individual pads) the Z06 brakes seem plenty advanced to me. And they seem to be the match for the Gallardo and just about anything else for that matter.

Edgemts said:
Look, for all you Z06 admirers out there, I hope I can eat my words.
I am not sure if I am looking forward to driving the Z06 or not, I have been so disappointed in every other vette, including highly moddified track cars, z06's etc. that I have driven, that its very hard to even get slightly excited.
Performance, value, and price are all important factors, but when it comes to driving these cars hard on the track many other factors come into play.

I get impressed by different things than most people. After driving the Gallardo and it having just incredible braking ability lap after lap(stock), then taking the calipers off to find Brembo 8 piston calipers the weight half what the NSX's 2 pots are.Thats cool to have on a stock car, yes I know for the price it should have it, but? :smile:

At the end of the day it's all about how a car makes you feel - the satisfaction you get from owning and driving it. Just sitting in a Corvette doesn't feel right to me - it's not my personality. The NSX feels just right, to me. Everyone is different - that's fine, that's what makes life great and that's why there are usually dozens for choices available for just about anything.

IMO, there is way too much blatant bashing (not saying that you fall into this category) of other cars on these forums - POS this and crapwagon that. But if anyone reads something negative about the NSX on another website, such as the Ferrari forum, those people are immediately branded as uninformed idiots.

I'm personally delighted that there are so many great cars on the market today and each new one - whether I aspire to buy one or not - will only help push the whole segment to greater heights.

Bigglezworth said:
Who you kidding?
1. The car is $89,900.00 CAD and cheaper in the USA. Nobody comes close to making that much speed for that much money. (Unlimited budget stuff is always easier)

Noble M12? M400?

-- Joe

well chevy was smart and hid alot of the cost for the z06 within the basic C6 :biggrin: kudos for GM for doing a good job, now if they would just put a different interior in it =)

splitz said:
Don't you have to put the engine & tranny in nobles yourself?

if they are like the CanAm i think you can buy them with everything in it

Smoking A Controlled Substance ? ? ? ?

NetViper said:
I don't think anyone here would take a Z06 over a Gallardo if price wasn't in the equation.

With the sound of that Corvette, how can you possibly think that? :eek:

Money aside, I would take the Corvette any day of the week. Sorry everyone, I think that particular Lambo's body style is bland. :tongue:

Say, did anyone notice which car out-paced the other? :confused:

JoeSchmoe said:
Noble M12? M400?

-- Joe
Note I outline the cost in CAD. Figure 20-25% less for USD. I believe you get the Noble MINUS an engine and tranny for that same price. :rolleyes:

TC said:
At the end of the day it's all about how a car makes you feel - the satisfaction you get from owning and driving it. Just sitting in a Corvette doesn't feel right to me - it's not my personality.

BINGO!

I went from 91NSX to C5Z06 and ended up regretting it. Although the Z06 would reliably beat up the NA1 in almost every performance test possible, the NSX just felt a whole lot better. It's what a sports car should feel like.

Back