• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

General Impression:

I Have the car since 1999, I was in madrid visiting a trade fair I saw it in a shop and fell deeply in love. It´s a1991 number 1410, and I must say that I love it even more than that first day.
In general the car is great but I´ve had some problems so far, the clutch, it only lasts me around 10.000 miles. I don´t drive slowly and I never abuse the clutch my driving experience is at high level. I don´t think it´s my fault does this happen to anybody?
The TCS I have it desconnected because it´s so sensible that it is ridiculous, around here the roads aren´t highways. It´s a mountain area very similar in looks and weather like Ireland. A yellow light in the middle of the dash comes on very easy, I pull the fuse out to reset the system but it keeps on coming on. I cant find a reason It comes on when i´m driving slow in a straight line
The cars fails a bit and the light comes on. When I´m driving fast It ususally occurs when I hit a hard right ( second gear) and it´s a scary sensation even though nothing really happens, I keep driving knowing that the car has a problem but it seems to lose power, it all goes away when a reset the system. ( fuse pull and back in).
The electric window on the driver´s side is so slow that it really annoys me, I had it checked and they wanted over 600€ to get fixed is there another solution?
I also hear a shattering noise sometimes when i start the car in the morning. It comes from the abs is this normal?
For the ress everything works beautiful and the car cranks!!!!
the only rivals I get around here are a couple of M3´s. There aren´t many 996 twinturbos or ferraris around here ( with enough driving skills). So I´m the Boss ja,ja,ja.

Thank You

>>the clutch only lasts me around 10,000 miles.
>>my driving experience is at high level. I don´t think it´s my fault

Some drivers get 100,000 miles on their NSX clutches. The difference is in the driver. If you drive correctly the unit should last much longer. If you are purposely abusing the clutch, like doing burnouts, then enjoy it with the understanding that it will need replacement sooner than normal.

Maybe it´s me, but I´m not sure it´s installed properly, it´s not slipping at the moment but when i put it in reverse it´s pretty noisy.

Nippon Ray said:
In general the car is great but I´ve had some problems so far, the clutch, it only lasts me around 10.000 miles. I don´t drive slowly and I never abuse the clutch my driving experience is at high level. I don´t think it´s my fault does this happen to anybody?

FYI, I have 126000km on my clutch and it doesn't slip for the moment...just a little bit harder...and yes, I drive my NSX hard (but without burnouts). :D

The TCS I have it desconnected because it´s so sensible that it is ridiculous, around here the roads aren´t highways.

Do you use stock tires size ?

If yes, are you using Michelin Pilot Sport tires ? Just curious !

Regards,

1. Clutch - If you are not drag racing and you are not "slipping" or "feathering" the clutch, it should last many times longer. I assume when you say your driving is at a high level that you know not to slowly let out the clutch with the car at high RPM to get it moving from a stop, etc. If it is not a driving problem, it could be an installation problem.

2. TCS - Are you using stock wheel and tire sizes? Changing away from the stock ratio of front-to-rear tire sizes will confuse the TCS system. If you are using stock size tires, it could be a TCS system malfunction - you should check the computer for a TCS trouble code. See http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/troubleshooting_tcs.htm

3. Slow window - You probably need to take your door panel off, clean the window tracks out and grease everything. If that doesn't fix it, the window could also be out of alignment which causes more friction when it goes up and down in the tracks.

This is not related to the window being slow, but if the car has not already had the window regulators replaced, see this information: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/windows.htm

4. ABS pump noise - Yes, it is a horrible noise, isn't it? It is the normal noise from the ABS pump. If your car does this very frequently, and you are not braking so hard that ABS kicks in when you are driving, you probably have a slow internal leak in the ABS system. See http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/alb.htm

As usual, Lud is right on. One more specific piece of advice:

Lud said:
3. Slow window - You probably need to take your door panel off, clean the window tracks out and grease everything. If that doesn't fix it, the window could also be out of alignment which causes more friction when it goes up and down in the tracks.

This is not related to the window being slow, but if the car has not already had the window regulators replaced, see this information: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/windows.htm

If you have not had the regulators replaced, you should get a set of the Dali Racing window fix-it thingies (USD16 for the pair) and install them when you open the door panels to lubricate everything. This can prevent you from having to replace the window regulators if they fail - and each window regulator costs around USD400, plus the labor to install.

Thanks guys for the advice, the clutch has to be an installation problem I´m not that bad. I6t´s the fistr time the shop sees an NSX.
About TCS yes i´ve changed the tires front 235/35 rin 17 x 8
back 285/30 rim 18x 10.5.
I´ll double check the power window system maybe it needs loob.

Thank you very much guys.

Nippon Ray said:
About TCS yes i´ve changed the tires front 235/35 rin 17 x 8
back 285/30 rim 18x 10.5.

That might not be the problem (although I wouldn't use those sizes, because the front sizes probably rub the fender wells when compressed).

The outer diameter of the front tires is 1.8 percent larger than stock, and the rear outer diameter is 0.5 percent smaller than stock. That difference, by itself, shouldn't set off the traction control. However, if the front tires are almost new, and the rear tires are very worn, that could make enough of a difference to cause the traction control problems. Also, if they are different models of tire, front vs rear, that could also contribute to TCS problems, due to differences in sizing as well as differences in grip.

Thanks nsxtasy, interesting, I´ve noticed that with some tire sizes
the TCS doesn´t let the car go and is constantly blincking( green tcs light) I think it´s do to the tcs sensors on the brakes. The setting that i spoke about earlier I use to make the car look nicer, I have to admitt that the car goes better with the stock sizes and rims.
I think I found some answers in the technical part of this page, this web is a gift, Thank you all.

Back