• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

General Questions about 95 NSX

A few General questions to follow. When i read the wiki article on the NSX I was under the impression that 95 was a big change year for components like transmission-5 speed to 6 speed and headlights (maybe that was 2002?) And chassis stiffen due to the targa intro. There were probably some other model improvements as well? I am just trying to get a bit more knowledgeable about the car.
  1. Is there a book anyone would recommend that went into more detail about model years and the car itself?
  2. Are there some changes that occur early model year to late model year and how do you discover what they are?
  3. How do you figure out when your car was actually produced?
  4. A mechanic told me that every car produced came with a production video of the car moving through the line-true or false?
Thanks, JD

The Wiki have listed all the changes from Y-Y, the biggest changes were made in MY 1997, minor changes thru 2001, face lift in 2002, with some minor changes throughout the years until 05.

No, no video was produced of the individual cars going thru the production line, keeping in mind that these cars were all hand assembled/built.

The Wiki have all this information laid out, and it is a good read for someone looking to purchase an NSX

YOU seriously need to come over to the west side of the Motor City each and every Weds 5 PM at CJ's inside the Compuware Arena (M-14 at Beck Road) and gather all this free information. In the event that is too far for you to travel, read more wiki 'cause you are kind of "off target."

You will find many details in this local thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...g-by-blodi-pt-2/page102?p=1795570#post1795570

:smile:

The wiki article I thought was pretty clear.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

95 was the targa and its added weight. The targa made the car more flexible, notwithstanding the efforts to stiffen it. It was also the year of OBD2.

97 was the larger, NA2, 3.2L engine. And the 6-speed transmission.

00 was an improved ABS system.

02 were the big eyes.

There are many other subtleties.

one last thing..... 1991-2005 auto transmission had a 3.0L engine 4 speed around 220hp :mad:

if you want an auto that is

[h=4]From Wikipedia
1995 NSX-T [/h]Beginning in 1995, the NSX-T with a removable targa top was introduced in Japan as a special order option and in North America in March 1995. ,[SUP][19][/SUP] The NSX-T replaced the standard coupe entirely as the only version available post 1994 and all NSXs thereafter were in targa form with the notable exceptions of the Zanardi Special Edition NSX in 1999 and a handful of special order post-1997/pre-2002 3.2 litre coupes. The removable roof resulted in decreased chassis rigidity and Honda added about 100 pounds (45 kg) of structural reinforcements to compensate, including significantly thicker frame sidesill rocker panels (the body component which contributes most to the chassis's rigidity[SUP][20][/SUP]), bulkheads, roof pillars and the addition of new front/rear bulkhead and floorpan crossmembers.[SUP][21][/SUP] The targa models, produced for the rest of the NSX's production run thru 2005, sacrificed weight and some of the original coupe's chassis rigidity in return for an open cockpit driving experience. In addition to this major change, all subsequent NSX-Ts (1995-2001) had smaller-diameter front sway bars, slightly stiffer front springs, softer rear springs and firmer shock-dampers [SUP][22][/SUP] to improve ride comfort and tire wear while reducing the tendency towards oversteer common in mid-engined vehicles. All roofs post 1995 were now body-coloured instead of black, although in Japan, the two-tone black roof/body colour was still available as an optional feature. A lighter version of the variable ratio electric assisted power steering rack, previously found exclusively in the automatic transmission equipped NSXs, became standard on all models. Starting in 1995 the 5-speed transmission's second gear ratio was lowered by 4.2% to improve driveability and provide better response and automatic transmissions received an optional Formula One-inspired Sport Shift with a unique steering column mounted electronic shifter.[SUP][23][/SUP] Manual transmission cars received an improved Torque Reactive limited-slip differential - when combined with a new Throttle-By-Wire system, increased corner exit speeds by 10%. Other innovations beginning in 1995 included a new and lighter exhaust and muffler configuration for greater efficiency and lower emissions,[SUP][23][/SUP] an OBD-II onboard diagnostic system, improvements in the Traction Control System (TCS) and newly developed fuel injectors.[SUP][24][/SUP]

Other things specific to the 1995 NSX:

-only year with the crappy targa seal. The front targa seal ages over time such that it is much more prone to squeaks and noise. This was redesigned from 1996 forward and sometimes goodwilled by Acura dealerships, but this is only an issue for 1995 NSX.

-1995/1996 were OBD-II, but only barely. While they are visually similar to later OBD-II NSX, there are problems associated with them being changeover years, including a tendency to blow O2 sensors more frequently and some differences in how they read inputs from other sensors (like I am now discovering with VSS).

-1995/1996 were the slowest NSX years. Added weight of the targa (95-2005) but without the extra power available from the 3.2L engines (97-2005).

The main benefit of 1995/1996 NSX is that these were the only years that Midnight Pearl was available as a color, and these were two of the three years that Brooklands Green was available (also 1994). So if green and/or purple are must-haves for you, then 1995/1996 NSX is the right choice.

-only year with the crappy targa seal. The front targa seal ages over time such that it is much more prone to squeaks and noise. This was redesigned from 1996 forward and sometimes goodwilled by Acura dealerships, but this is only an issue for 1995 NSX.

i think it's only the hook stop,a small metal piece above the windshield that the attaching rod for the top goes into,that's different on 95's from other targas. i updated mine with the newer ones for about $100 (used),and it helped stop rattling.i think the expensive rubber seal itself is the same for all targas. it's an important difference because the seal is about $1300 discounted if it's even available.this is from the wiki-

Why Does The T-Top Squeak?

Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #95-015,Creaking From the Removable Roof [AVE - 99/4/19] There is a service bulletin published by Acura that describes an upgrade to the T latch assembly. The 95s were the first year models with a T. The 96 latch design is improved to eliminate/reduce the rattle, and the new latch fits the 95s. I know of two 95 NSXers that had their upgrade goodwilled by Acura, with satisfactory results.

Last edited:
Guys, thank you all for information. Other than the Wiki article were there other resources you might recommend? I will make an appearance over in Livonia if I can get a break from work- self employed and overloaded right now- aint complaining, just explaining!

...but this is only an issue for 1995 NSX

-1995/1996 were the slowest NSX years. Added weight of the targa (95-2005) but without the extra power available from the 3.2L engines (97-2005).

Around 140mph it does start to get pretty noisy but my car has never squeaked or rattled. If it did I'd have to fix it or sell it. When I bought an extra set of targa seals recently to store away the part number was the same for all years, 72320-SL0-T01 and looks identical to whats on the car now. Could be its only in lower number production cars that year?

Everyone says they are slower cars but the fact is 95/96 years were repeatedly measured to be just as fast as any other 3.0L powered NSX. Because of the shorter 2nd gear I think they actually feel faster and they don't drop out of VTECH 2nd to 3rd like earlier 5spds.

1995 C&D 0-60, 5.2s 1/4m, 13.8s Jul 95 “Supercar Shootout”
1991 C&D 0-60, 5.2s 1/4m, 13.8s Sep 90 “The Eroticars”

In a NA1 to NA2 comparison Everyday Driver.com said:

"The increased power and gears of the ’97 felt superior in slow commuting or high-speed blasts, but in the tight corners of a canyon the ‘95’s five-speed required less shifting and a great ability to extract power”.

Last edited:
I still have a targa that squeaks periodically. Typically, wiping the seal/leading edge of the targa fixes it and occasionally just greasing both with Shinetsu silicon works well. Many of the 1995 NSXs were goodwill-repaired so I believe a very small minority of remaining 1995 NSXs, including mine, still have the issue.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 1995 NSX but the real benefit exclusive to the year is the color ;)

Regarding your other question, the month and year of manufacture is on a sticker on the driver's side door jam.

jrd:

I have a '95 and live in Kalamazoo...let me know if you make it to this side of the state, and if I head over there sometime I'll let you know. You can take a look at mine and I'll tell you all about it.

I have a September date planned for Grattan with the West MIch PCA; always a good time. JD

- - - Updated - - -

YOU seriously need to come over to the west side of the Motor City each and every Weds 5 PM at CJ's inside the Compuware Arena (M-14 at Beck Road) and gather all this free information. In the event that is too far for you to travel, read more wiki 'cause you are kind of "off target."

You will find many details in this local thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...g-by-blodi-pt-2/page102?p=1795570#post1795570

:smile:

How late do you guys hang? I definitely want to come over and meet some people and see your cars but I am so slammed dunked at work right now it's crazy. Do you have one big turn out once a month or a good turn out every week? How many?

This is general to everyone: I sold my 2001 S2000 to step up to my 95 NSX and I pulled all of my performance parts off the S2000 prior to the sale because no one would pay for them. I was enrolled in the S2000 forum and went to list parts for sale and promptly got shut down on the sale forum-I have still not been able to figure that one out. Needless to say I have performance parts to sell but cant list them on an S2000 forum; does anyone have any advice on a good sale list platform that i might try? I need to move these parts so that I can spend some money on my new mistress. Any ideas or help would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
we have a non nsx for sale forum and plenty of owners who still own both.

Back