• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Going to Hong Kong

Going to Hong Kong next week and was wondering if the list members there could steer me to the good performance/aftermarket speed shops. Also I notice the exchange rate is around 7.8 to 1, is this good? Thanks in advance.

7.8 HKD to 1 USD is pretty standard and it has been like that for a long time, you're not getting a bad deal. I don't buy parts when I'm in HK and my friend who knows about it went back already. I'll try to get in touch with him and find out some info for you if no one here knows better.

I've been there a couple times and would be surprised if you were able to find any good deals on anything except clothing. You can go to Stanley market and buy a $250 Nautica jacket for $40, but I think the market for high end cars is extremely small and exclusive. If you want to do something cool, go the the Karting track at the old airport. They actually have a few vintage formula 1 cars on display. When I was there they had an older Lotus and a recent Mclaren Mercedes.

[This message has been edited by gobble (edited 07 June 2002).]

We're getting a little off topic, but you can buy a real Nautica jacket for $40. I bought 2 of them and have no doubt they are actual Nautica jackets. They were complete will all the tags, cards, extra buttons, etc.

You can buy a knockoff Polo shirt for $2 from some guy with a table set up in the middle of the street, but some of the real stores have authentic merchandise.

Originally posted by gobble:
... I think the market for high end cars is extremely small and exclusive...]

Last time I was in Hong Kong I don't think there was a single high end sports car I did not see on the road... (slight exaggeration, but overall amazingly impressive)

Thanks for the info guys. I really need to check out that cart track! I was there about 7 years ago and purchased a Louis Vuitton wallet for $20.00. Just for kicks I took it to the Louis Vuitton section at Neiman Marcus and they couldn't tell if it was real or fake. Looks like I'll be spending my money on a new wardrobe.

welcome to HK, it is hot this time of the year. daytime temp in the 30sC. Yes, we have almost all the known exotics on this small island. as to NSXs, we have a club with about 30 cars out of a total of 60 registered here. one of our memebers recently converted his to a full 02 spec. as shown on last month's intro. As to NSX parts, forget it. we buy them direct from Japan or your US sources like SOS, Dali or Comptec. Reason is not the money but the lack of Xs to support imports of such. if you are looking for Audi, Porsches, Subaru, Toyotas etc. there are plenty of. Brand name clothings , the real piece, even LV is cheaper than the States because there is no tax like sales, GST etc. also good discounts from Rolex to Tag etc. Stanley market is too tourists but bit like your Fisherman Wharf but not a discount mall as such. shop at Pacific Place, Times Square, Ocean Terminal etc where the locals go. Its all real stuff, not fakes.
Have fun, we are the city of life. take the airport express in from the airport, its HK$ 100 and takes 25 minutes and you see the longest suspension bridge in the world.

Thanks for the info pacacu. I was wondering if you could offer some names and places for Toyota aftermarket parts. Also any names of cool night clubs and bars to hang out at. I'm cantonese and born in Hong Kong but came to US when I was very young and became "westernized" =) I hope my cantonese is good enough to order dim sum...=)

hang out at Lan Kwai Fong or Soho. these are yuppies areas known for good times, drinks, chit chat and some decent resturants but no hookers..for dim sum, most chinese resturants would offer such but aviod the 12:30/2:00 time slot as you would not get a seat. as to Toyota parts, try www.toms-trd.com.hk , they sell lots of these but check on stock before you visit, don't want to waste a trip.

Back