• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Good value 16/17 tires

I am putting new rubber on 16/17 ('98 stock) wheels I got with my '91

When researching my options, I see that there are very limited choices if I want to keep the same tire model on front and rear (Direzza DZ101 and Potenza RE010). Direzzas are on them now - with a blistered front and bald rears, pretty much useless.

The reviews i have read indicate a general dissatisfaction with the Direzza and I see limited availability for the Potenza in the stock sizes (215/45R16, 245/40R17)

It seems that the front (215/45R16) is the problem, so what other sizes would work? I am looking to expand my options - no sense comparing one to itself.

I daily drive the car (unless inclement weather is indicated) and I do not track it but I do want a decent tire in case I am out driving in the rain. I am also looking to get decent mileage out of them.

Any suggestions?

Also, do I need to worry about TCS programming?

Thanks in advance

I am in the same boat. Local tire shops either don't carry anything in the stock 16/17 sizes or they only carry the Direzza. I was thinking of going to 17's all around(a lot more tire choices) or 17/18 just so I don't have to stick Direzza's on there. Tirerack for some reason show only 17" x 8" for the rears(if you go 17's all around) which is too narrow(even the stock 17's are 8.5" if I recall correctly). The OZ Ultraleggera's in 17/18 are nice but with decent tires they are over $2K/set. I may go that route and sell the 16/17's to help offset the cost.

Last edited:
Ive been grappling with the same problem as well ever since they stopped making the yoko a022's. The last tire change Ive gone with OEM bridgestones up front and direzza Z1 star specs in the rear. The Z1 star specs are slightly more expensive than the dz101's you mentioned, but they are also more performance oriented. Not only are they significantly cheaper than the OEM bridgestones, they seem to have more grip and treadlife. If dunlop started making the star specs in 215/45ZR16, I'd be one happy customer...

- Joe

I currently have the OEM 16/17 on. Bridgestone RE010 in the front and Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Last month I had OEM 17 with Bridgestone RE040. Finally I wore out the thread on the OEM 17 RE040 rears. Don't have time to get new 17s all around, so I put my 16/17 back on until I get new tires for the OEM 17s. Love the F1 GS-D3. No complains with the RE010/F1 GS-D3 combination. Much better than the RE040 front/rear. Debating between the F1 GS-D3 or Direzza Z1 Star Specs for my set of OEM 17s. Yes, I can find the 215/40/17 for the front at my local Goodyear dealer (checked 2 months ago and they still have 12 in stock). The assistant manager tell me that this size does not move very fast (I wondered why:rolleyes:). Probably the same reason why Goodyear stop production on this size.

I run Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/45/16 on the front and 255/40/17 on the rear on OEM 16/17 wheels.

The fronts do not rub and I have no complaints about this configuration.

Looks like the local Discount tire can get the BFG KDW2's in the 225/45/16 and 255/40/17 sizes. That might be a much better option for me than going with the Dunlop DZ101's in OEM sizes.

Last edited:
After looking relentlessly I have decided to go with tire rack's #1 rated UHP Summer tire the Bridgestone RE760 Sport. Going with just replacing the rears first in the stock size of 245/40/17. Once the front RE010's wear out I will go with 205/45/16 which is only smaller by .2" in diameter than the stock 215/45/16's(less than 1% difference in circumference, 73.19" vs 73.82"). 894 revs per mile vs. 900 per mile. I wish they had 215/45/16's in the RE760's but it jumps up to a 225/50/16 which is probably too tall and would throw off the traction control and possibly rub(running Eibach pro's).

I thought about those but with winter coming soon I want something that will work well in the rain(we don't get snow here so I'll still be driving the NSX in the winter).

I daily drive mine, and my WX crystal ball is a little fuzzy - I don't want to have to worry about a little precip, they say the drought is over

Finally bit the bullet and got the Kuhmo XS all around
Rain Rain go away!

I have a 95 NSX with stock 16/17 wheels. I have the Dunlop Star Spec Z1 in 205/50ZR16 in front and 245/40ZR17 in the rear from Discount Tire. They have 4000 miles on them and they are awesome in all conditions, except off road and in the snow... I really cannot say enough about how great of a tire they are for the daily driver NSX. Have had no problems with the slightly different front tire.

The Kuhmos are a bit squirrelly in the rain, awsome otherwise - will have to get the inclement weather car fixed;

Back