• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got a letter from the IRS! YIKES!

Well guys, this has not been a good week. Started this week with breathalyzer lady and ended it with a letter from the IRS. Never mind the 20% drop in the stock market. Is it just me?:confused:

Open the mail box and there is a letter from the Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service. Heart begins to pound. Should I open it and read it in the elevator? No. What if I faint? I am the only person in the elevator. They may not find me for hours. I’ll wait until I get inside the front door of my house, get the phone and dial 91, open it and be ready to dial that other 1 in case it’s real bad.

OK, got the phone and dialed the 91, sit on the edge of the bed and open the letter… Here is what it said,

“We Changed Your Estimated Tax Total – You are Due a Refund.

We changed you 2007 Estimated Tax Total reported on your return. Estimated Tax Total may include Estimated Tax Payments, credit applied from another tax year, or payments received with an extension of time to file. As a result of these changes, you are due a refund of $XXXX if you owe no other taxes. You may have expected a different amount or no refund at all. If you think we made a mistake, please call us at the number listed above.”

What?:confused::smile::tongue: My Accountant has always figured my quarterly estimated taxes to the penny. But, if the IRS wants to send me money, WONDERFUL!:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

OK. Now as I continue to read this six page letter about my refund in my state of delirium, I read;

“Penalties: $XXXX

02 Penalty for Not Paying a Proper Estimated Tax for Individuals, Estates and Trusts.

We charge a penalty because you did not pay a proper quarterly estimate of your tax. For more information, see Instructions for Form 2201 or Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.

(Internal Revenue Code section 6654)

What?:confused: Yeah, I have to pay the Internal Revenue Service a penalty payment because I sent them too much money!:rolleyes: I don't even have an option to apply my overpayment toward this years taxes. They are going to send me a refund, and I am going to pay for it.:eek:

Please tell me next week will be better…

Doug

A large portion of your tax money just goes to pay for its collection. Government efficiency at its best. As long as its $X,XXX and not $XXX,XXX I'd be happy given they bothered to send you a letter.

And the stock market crash is 40%, not 20%. :)

A large portion of your tax money just goes to pay for its collection. Government efficiency at its best. As long as its $X,XXX and not $XXX,XXX I'd be happy given they bothered to send you a letter.

And the stock market crash is 40%, not 20%. :)

Oh great. So I should be happy they only charged me this amont to send me a letter? Just send me a check without a letter? I could figure out the details later.

The 20% I mentioned was for DJIA last week, not the DJIA average drop during FY 2008.

I absolutely hate the IRS- my only satisfaction, with the IRS, came from arresting an IRS auditor for reckless driving and driving on a suspended license. He mentioned he was an auditor with the IRS to try to get some kind of professional courtesy.....I gave it to him.

I had two calls from a phone number labelled "US Government" at my office while I was gone last week. No idea what that's about. They didn't leave a message and I haven't gotten any letters in the mail.

Sheesh, just wait till Obama steps into office........ you can say good bye to your refunds or not owe for the next 4+ years :mad:

yup.

if obama wins, everything that happens going forward will be his fault. (let's not forget the HUGE crater of an economy / world opinion we've dug ourselves in to.) but, thank god for scapegoats.

and if mccain wins then... what? $700B+ (probably more like 1 - 2 trillion on this bailout alone.) extended war in the mideast. national infrastructure failing. and our taxes will go down? muahahahahaha. good luck with that plan.

doug,

over the past 4 months we've had (1) cat a with 2 major surgeries (2) cat b with cancer / leg amputation (3) me with major surgery / blood clot complications.

one of my friends calls ever couple of days to ask if my letter from the irs has arrived yet... and although i over-pay on estimates / corp taxes, i'm sure any day now it'll be my turn in the barrel.

some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you.

yup.

if obama wins, everything that happens going forward will be his fault. (let's not forget the HUGE crater of an economy / world opinion we've dug ourselves in to.) but, thank god for scapegoats.

and if mccain wins then... what? $700B+ (probably more like 1 - 2 trillion on this bailout alone.) extended war in the mideast. national infrastructure failing. and our taxes will go down? muahahahahaha. good luck with that plan.

doug,

over the past 4 months we've had (1) cat a with 2 major surgeries (2) cat b with cancer / leg amputation (3) me with major surgery / blood clot complications.

one of my friends calls ever couple of days to ask if my letter from the irs has arrived yet... and although i over-pay on estimates / corp taxes, i'm sure any day now it'll be my turn in the barrel.

Your right Hal. Think I'll buy some glue.:wink:

Nah, airplane model glue. It's the only way to go. :biggrin:

Contact cement, that's the $hit.

When I was in my teens I was building some counter tops and almost knocked myself out with the fumes in a closed in space. I ran to the window and took in fresh air just in time as my vision was shutting down like an old tube tv set. I sure would like to have those brain cells back now in my old age. :biggrin:

Contact cement, that's the $hit.

When I was in my teens I was building some counter tops and almost knocked myself out with the fumes in a closed in space. I ran to the window and took in fresh air just in time as my vision was shutting down like an old tube tv set. I sure would like to have those brain cells back now in my old age. :biggrin:
did the same thing in, ahem, crafts class.

Thanks guys for the suggestions of how to kill off my 72 remaining brain cells. Friends like you, the IRS and Ms. Breathalyzer…:rolleyes:

yup.

doug,

LoL, you sound like I just made fun of "yo mama" :biggrin:

Thanks guys for the suggestions of how to kill off my 72 remaining brain cells. Friends like you, the IRS and Ms. Breathalyzer…:rolleyes:

Doug,
You are killing me with your 2 off topic posts.:wink:

Back