• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got My Smog & Sticker!!! I'm BACK in the GAME!!!

Hey Guys . . after a long wait I'm back in the game - so I will be showing up at some stuff now pretty soon . . it's good to be back on the road with all 6 cast iron cylinders firing off 18PSI with a 2006 sticker on the back plate! Yay!

Black&Tan97Tnewportbeach said:
Hey Guys . . after a long wait I'm back in the game - so I will be showing up at some stuff now pretty soon . . it's good to be back on the road with all 6 cast iron cylinders firing off 18PSI with a 2006 sticker on the back plate! Yay!

Good job Wolfe... Be careful at 18lbs...:smile: The transmission doesn't like it much... What gain/duty are you running from 3000 up to 6500? Is yours boosting after 6500K?

I'm only teasing into the 18 range for a fraction of a second . . . the real boost controller is still my foot since I have the digital one set on 90% gain and .95 Bar which overboosts FAST . . so I've only been cracking the throttle.

I need to go back uptown to do a dyno day so I can get everything dialed in right then I can run boost off the boost controller. When I have the gain set low it breaks up when the boost comes on . . its a real basline .bin file in the TEC right now - just good enuff for a lil fun and a safe breakin of the sleever.

At .95 you are over boosting to 18+?
Which boost gauge/controller do you have?
We did a dyno, but it couldn't read the RPMs correctly, It showed the Torque at like 474 and the HP at 374(?) around that area... A/F was pretty damn flat.. Which was the most important thing to me...

Given these Bar readings what would you do from 3000-6500RPM? Post your gain for each interval...

.90 bar = 13.0533964 pounds per square inch<O:tongue:></O:tongue:>

.95 bar = 13.7785851 pounds per square inch<O:tongue:></O:tongue:>

1.00 bar = 14.5037738 pounds per square inch<O:tongue:></O:tongue:>

1.05 bar = 15.2289625 pounds per square inch<O:tongue:></O:tongue:>

1.10 bar = 15.9541512 pounds per square inch<O:tongue:></O:tongue:>

1.15 bar = 16.6793398 pounds per square inch<O:tongue:></O:tongue:>

1.20 bar = 17.4045285 pounds per square inch<O:tongue:></O:tongue:>

1.25 bar = 18.1297172 pounds per square inch<O:tongue:></O:tongue:>

1.30 bar = 18.8549059 pounds per square inch<O:tongue:></O:tongue:>

1.35 bar = 19.5800946 pounds per square inch<O:tongue:></O:tongue:>

Len,

I don't exactly understand your question . . but maybe this explanation will help you understand where I am at.

When we put in my sleeve motor in it took 3 days and ended at around 3 in the morning on a saturday night, by that time we were cooked!! This was back in june. GJ got her running and loaded the baseline bin file and we did a little AFR tuning on the fly with me driving and him on the laptop up and down the infamous 99 highway. Then he let me crash on his couch and his fishin homies swooped him up at his house and took him directly to a tournament sat. night at 4 AM!

So I drove home mellow back to the OC and broke her in for 3000+ miles, with temp. reg. window passes since she wasn't smogged yet.

Then when I changed to oil to regular after 3K miles at Brians we played with the Apexi boost controller and turned up the gain. The funny thing is, with the gain under 60% she breaks up when the boost comes on, same with the boost controller off and running off the 7lb spring. But once its set agressively then she makes good power and doesn't break up . . so GJ can't figure it out over the phone, the only thing we can do is let him check it out in person soon and on the dyno.

But the boost controller isn't mapped for gain, I had it set for full blast (90%). Then I just was washing the car and playing a little with it, I dropped it down to 60% and she borke up, I notched it up to 65% gain and she was fine.

Wolfee, what do you mean by "broke up"? Is it just hesitating or down on power?

I hear ya Wolfee.. i just read up on a few other forums on the Apex i... Seems like some of the other guys are letting the controller adjust itself with the learn mode... I started at 40% and I am starting to adjust at different increments... It is pretty lively at those settings and adjusting the boost from .95 up to 1.10 (in mycase)

We got on the Dyno, but the RPM siganl was not picked up..
The car either has 474HP and about 384Trq or vice versa at about .86.. I have the dyno, but I can't say that it is accurate...

Also , found out some things on the Idle issue that I am having... I think it is very related to the voltage supplied to the entire electrical system... I now am on a quest to clean up the power going to my electrical.

What mix are you using in the aqua mist?
Water to Alcohol...
I have lag at around 3000rpm, for a nano second, then the car takes off pretty briskly... I will definitely look at the LSDs that are available... As you know the rear end can become very light with all of this power...
My seat has a permanent impression of my head and neck now.:smile:

Still have some fine tunning to do and get the car re- dynoed to see what the Final HP is... I know it is huge.
The torque is just plain insane...

great now come to the meet tommorrow at 11 am ;)

Hey Len . .

I am running 2 parts H to 1 part O for right now . . there was mention by the G-man that it might alter the A\F running 50% methanol like aquamist recommends. So he said not to add methanol until we getter on the dyno and see how it affects the A\F when she starts sprayin'.

By break-up I mean it sputters and quits igniting the AF mixture . .almost like someone killed the ignition . . very strange , , but when the gain is at 90% she spools right up and plenty of power doing it, I just took a someone for a ride and got a little spike up to 1.25 Bar, for a millisecond, it was a nice little burst! This is only from 1/4 throttle too.

I really want to be able to set it for any amount of gain and PSi and have her run smoothly though, this will come soon enough.

It could be a TEC problem too, we are not sure.

Its definitely not the apexi though because when its set to off and its only running off the 7 psi spring it still breaks up.

Last edited:
Chris,
congrats on the smog. I should be up and running is a week or two. I went the CTSC +aem route.

Danny Lai

Awesome Danny! It only took what . . 3 years for us to get our shit together after NSX Mortified!?!?!?!?!

See you at some meet or another soon!

PS - the AEM & CTSC sounds like its a really good solid setup these days!!! Congrats!

Back