• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

greatest sporting event you have seen in person

The Georgia - Auburn game in November of 2007. It was the first Black out game. No one knew for sure if the Georgia players would be in Black jerseys or not. I have felt the atmosphere in Athens as it was that day and I go to pretty much every game. When the players came out for the coin toss they had on the Red jerseys but when they came back on the field they had on the black jerseys and the crowd was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. It stayed that way the whole game. I have never heard it that loud in any stadium including Tenn's Neyland stadium which can get very loud. It was definitely my favorite game ever.

I was a child and could not really appreciate the historic aspects of a game I watched in July of 1963. My father was an acquaintence of the Mayor in San Francisco and we were given tickets to see a game between the Braves and the Giants @ Candlestick Park. I remember the park being more then half empty. As a young child games without any offense are not very interesting.
Juan Marichal was pitching for the Giant's and Warren Spahn was pitching for the Brave's. After nine innings still no score, but both pitchers continued on.
I told my father I was bored and wanted to go home in the 12th inning. By the 16th inning I was getting VERY unhappy when Mays finally hit a home run and won the game for the Giant's. Both starting pitchers pitched the entire game.

I met Mays shortly after the game and he was VERY nice to me. Although, it was more then a lifetime ago I still remember it all VERY well.

In my days as a newspaper photographer, I've covered some interesting games from a local perspective, but the best gig on a national/international level was covering the Kentucky Derby from inside the rail, right at the finish line. You could feel the pounding of the hooves as they raced past. I was sitting in front of the folks who shelled out $$$ for their private boxes. Dumb thing is, I can't even remember who won the races I covered. Some horse with a jockey on top, probably.:smile:

Back