• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone use GROM-BT3 ??

NA2 Grom installation

I'm trying to install the Grom USB-3 and my pictures don't quite match the ones in the UK thread. I have a male connector behind the center panel, but no female connector. 3 possibilities: NA2 is different, the female connector is wrapped with other wiring, or my car was already modded and then put back (CD changer works OK though). HELP! Red circle is the male connector.
2E0D079B-A229-4070-9AFE-5C8DED552969.jpgIMG_2543.jpg

I'm trying to install the Grom USB-3 and my pictures don't quite match the ones in the UK thread. I have a male connector behind the center panel, but no female connector. 3 possibilities: NA2 is different, the female connector is wrapped with other wiring, or my car was already modded and then put back (CD changer works OK though). HELP! Red circle is the male connector.

That's the wrong connector- that's for an old school in-car cell phone.

The correct connector is very close to the driver door. There is a connection there for the wire that goes to the CD changer in the trunk. You unplug the connector and plug the grom in there.

The connector is located approximately where the green arrow is pointing. Unplug it and relocate it to the location shown by the small yellow circle. The grom wire is shown in the big yellow circle. Plug the two items circled in yellow together.

201802_160.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you!

You're in Black Mountain? I was there yesterday- we have a little place there.

Nice! And thanks. I didn’t pull off that far panel behind the driver’s seat! Been here for 27 years, but only 7 months as an NSX owner. Next time you are in town, stop by my office to introduce yourself! EJ office next to UPS store.

Next time you are in town, stop by my office to introduce yourself! EJ office next to UPS store.

Will do- we’re in Cheshire. I’ve had a bunch of fun cars, but bought my first NSX in November and love it.

Last edited:
Just bought a used grom BT3 from another prime user. if i have a bad headunit that needs repair would i still be able to use the GROM BT3 as somewhat of a bypass? when i start the car and power on the headunit i get very loud popping and banging from the speakers, note i do not have an antenna (long story) and no CD in the CD changer.

Just bought a used grom BT3 from another prime user. if i have a bad headunit that needs repair would i still be able to use the GROM BT3 as somewhat of a bypass? when i start the car and power on the headunit i get very loud popping and banging from the speakers, note i do not have an antenna (long story) and no CD in the CD changer.

The Grom connects to the CD changer cable, and mimics a CD changer. If your head unit is not working, the Grom won't work either.

Sounds very much like speaker capacitor leakage issues: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2669-Speaker-Capacitor-Replacement
The head unit could be damaged, too but usually shows different symptoms: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2658-Radio-Head-Unit-Capacitor-Replacement

The speaker amps tend to fail before the head unit, sometimes after just a few years, and therefore could have been replaced already.
If you are observing the issues you are describing above and are located in the US/Canada, my suggestion would be to provide the speaker amps and head unit to http://nsxe-repair.com/ for check and repair - that usually clears up any issues - the sound quality of the OEM system is surprisingly good when supplied from a quality sound source (like CD or the Grom).

Last edited:
If you locate the unit in the panel behind the driver’s seat as described above, are you permanently disconnecting the trunk-mounted CD changer and replacing it with the Grom? Or is there some pass through connection that lets you still use the OEM CD changer?

I just installed the bt-3 unit...and have problems with the head unit buttons not working as listed, as well as having to manually advance to get another/next song to load using Spotify.
I haven't had time to try and work with Grom tech support yet.
I just purchased a BT3 with AUX cable. Sound-wise working amazing connected to either the AUX or BT. Installed vertically right beside the climate control unit. (Edit: Installed another under the head unit. Great location wedged in with a bit of closed-cell foam.)

Presumably I have the latest firmware. When connected via bluetooth, the NEXT track button works fine, but the BACK button either does nothing, or sometimes advances to the next track. Button works fine as a radio preset. Repeat button does nothing. All buttons worked with the CD changer. It seems odd, since you would think the process for transmitting the forward and back (and repeat) buttons would be the same. I chatted with support but they had nothing to offer. Has anyone found a solution to this intermittent button operation?

BTW, I didn't install the memory stick player Grom unit, went with BT. Since the head unit doesn't support it, how would I find songs/playlists?

Last edited:
I can control it with my watch, but the watch screen is small and it changes back go a standard clock mode after a minute or two. I'm going to look for a small BT remote.

Edit: I solved the problem with a small BT FF/RR Vol+/- remote that I installed over the cigarette lighter opening. I just open the ashtray cover when I'm listening to BT. I 3D-printed the holder that sits in the lighter socket and holds the controller.
Picture1.jpg

Last edited:
My radio plays low volume, no cracking or popping, speakers replaced with new, GROM?

My head unit on plays at low volume, no popping or cracking. All speakers were replaced with brand new bose speakers. Since the speakers have there own amps could i use the GROM BT3 with my phone and play SPOTIFY, pandora etc a normal volumes?

If so i can save the $1800.00 Williams electronics wants to update the OEM radio.

My head unit on plays at low volume, no popping or cracking. All speakers were replaced with brand new bose speakers. Since the speakers have there own amps could i use the GROM BT3 with my phone and play SPOTIFY, pandora etc a normal volumes?

If so i can save the $1800.00 Williams electronics wants to update the OEM radio.

The Grom connects to the CD changer cable, and mimics the oem CD changer. If your head unit has issues, the Grom does not fix or bypass them.

Back