• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone use GROM-BT3 ??

Just curious if anyone have the grom audio grom-bt3 unit?
It's their bluetooth unit. For audio and hand-free calling.
I purchased one directly from their website.
Connect the cable directly to the back of the factory radio, in the cd changer port.
Unit connects to phone (Galaxy S9+) right away.
It will stream music from my phone over bluetooth, but if a call comes in or im dialing out, it stop sending sounds to the speakers.
Ive reset the unit numerous times amd unpair and restart my phone each time i reset the unit.
Problem still persist.
Now you're thinking, try a different phone. I did, using my wife's iphone 7 ios 13.3.
Bluetooth setting on phone is set to audio and call. Same problem. No sounds for hand free calling.

Tech support blames the phone. Does this sounds strange to you?
Both phone works perfectly fine in our 2 other vehicles with bluetooth. No problem with hand free calling. Sounds comes in loud and clear.

Anyone have any idea?
Im not buying the "it's your phone " excuse. I simply cant accept that both brand name phone would be the cause. I fail to see how Apple and Samsung phone would have compatibility issue with these unit. I've requested for RMA to send back for replacement.
Does this sound like a software or hardware issue?

Any idea?

Last edited:
Clearly it’s your phone!

It sounds like a bug in the bt3. Grom does try to make it work with all cars but I’m going to say our sample size is fairly small. I have the usb3 and don’t have the phone issue. I have had it lockup once or twice but turning the car off and then back on corrects the issue.

Grom does firmware updates, make sure you have the latest firmware. Good luck, wish I had better info.

Thank you for your input. My unit have their newest firmware. Went through all troubleshooting procedures at their request. Even send video clip showing the issue. Yet they still say it's my phone. But....

Requested for rma and was approved. Shipped it back to Grom, they received it yesterday (Jan. 17). Replacement is being process. Hoping new unit will fix the issue. They said they have not encounter this issue before, and will make sure to test out the new unit thoroughly before shipping out.
I also had their old grom unit that i had use 3.5mm jack to send audio from phone to speakers. Works fine for years, but no hand-free calling. This is the reason why i upgrade to their bt3 unit.
What i like about it how fast it reconnects to the phone. It's automatic within 10sec or less. By the time you had the car started, it connected. Sounds come through clearly. Can control music using factory radio, track up, down. Etcc..

It's nice and fut my need in this vehicle.

Will update when replacement unit show up.

Final update:
Received the replacement unit today. Well, whatdoyaknow it work fine. As intended. Problem fixed with the new unit.
I did receive a bad unit in the beginning. They just didnt believe me even after video proof of the issue. Now all os good in the world again.

Do all of your radio buttons work properly with the BT3? On my BT3 the only button that works is next. Pressing back goes to the next track too. Kind of annoying.

Edit: Looks like they released a new firmware version within the last couple months, I'm going to try flashing the latest version to see if it helps.

Last edited:
Yeah. Try the new firmware. I havent fully dwell into it. When i was testing, seems like they all worked.

I just installed the bt-3 unit...and have problems with the head unit buttons not working as listed, as well as having to manually advance to get another/next song to load using Spotify.
I haven't had time to try and work with Grom tech support yet.

I was looking at getting a GROM and when I searched their website the results show 91-98 NSX. Do you know if this works later models as well ? I have a 2005 model year. Also when the GRom is on will the antenna remain down or does it still pop up when playing MP3 through the phone ? Thanks

Just curious if anyone have the grom audio grom-bt3 unit?
It's their bluetooth unit. For audio and hand-free calling.
I purchased one directly from their website.
Connect the cable directly to the back of the factory radio, in the cd changer port.
Any idea?

I thought the grom unit had to run from the CD changer in the trunk? Did you have to pull the head unit completely out to get to the CD changer port ?

Theoretically you could put the grom bt3 unit in the trunk but then you'd have a very hard time running the microphone cable for phone calls and the aux/usb cables if you have them. I plugged mine directly into the back of the radio, yes the radio has to come out to do that, and you have to pull pretty much the entire center console to get to the radio.

I thought the grom unit had to run from the CD changer in the trunk? Did you have to pull the head unit completely out to get to the CD changer port ?

I believe you have two options, one you plug it into the CD Changer cable in the trunk, or two you connect it to the cd changer port on the back of the head unit. Most people connect it in the trunk since it's much easier to access than pulling the whole center console and head unit out.

Mine is connected in the trunk, but like [MENTION=33247]MotorMouth93[/MENTION] pointed out due to the distance the previous owner of my car (who installed the GROM) opted not to run the microphone so I don't utilize the hands free calling feature of my GROM.

Last edited:
if i recall correctly. there is another option. behind the driver's seat, on the pillar near the glass. there is another connection there for the cd changer cable. you can connect the grom unit there and route the microphone toward the a pillar, if you have a coupe. For targa, this may not be an option.
so, if you dont want to pull the entire console out. Go this route. you'll have to pull the panel below the inner back glass off. Then couple more panels on the driver's side to see the cd changer cable.

I finanlly decided to get a GROM unit and wanted to clafify. Will the following unit be the only Item I need if I decide to run the cable from behind the Radio instead of the CD Changer ?

https://gromaudio.com/store/usb_ada...droid-iphone-car-integration-adapter-kit.html

Also, is it correct that I can simply plug in a usb stick and play music off it ?

Thank you,

Correct. I have the same unit. However I installed mine behind the driver's seat. More room and easier to access than behind the radio.

Correct. I have the same unit. However I installed mine behind the driver's seat. More room and easier to access than behind the radio.

So you mean from the CD changer to behind the drivers seat ? So the unit is accessible behind the seat to pop in a USB stick . I was imagining enough room to run it on the passenger side floor area but sounds like what you did is better.

So you mean from the CD changer to behind the driver's seat ? So the unit is accessible behind the seat to pop in a USB stick . I was imagining enough room to run it on the passenger side floor area but sounds like what you did is better.

You can install and connect the grom in 3 different places
1) behind the radio
2) behind the driver's seat (the cable going to the trunk has a joint there)
or
3) in the trunk where the CD changer was

I put mine behind the driver's seat (you have to remove several trim panels to access the wire), then ran USB cable to storage console.

Like this-

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2241-Brake-OH-DR-shaft-etc-10

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2242-Brake-OH-DR-shaft-etc-11

You can install and connect the grom in 3 different places
1) behind the radio
2) behind the driver's seat (the cable going to the trunk has a joint there)
or
3) in the trunk where the CD changer was

I put mine behind the driver's seat (you have to remove several trim panels to access the wire), then ran USB cable to storage console.

Like this-

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2241-Brake-OH-DR-shaft-etc-10

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2242-Brake-OH-DR-shaft-etc-11

These images are great thank you for providing them, very helpful. Very convincing to go this route

These images are great thank you for providing them, very helpful. Very convincing to go this route

I found those links when I was installing my grom a month or two ago.

I received my GROM and wanted to know from looking at the pictures I am unsure do I need an extension cable to the Join or the default one is more than enough ? Thanks!

I just had the GROM installed and it worked twice then now I no longer have the option to select CDEEE. Has anyone seen that where the only options are AM/FM when I try to toggle ?

update as soon as I disconnected the battery and reconnected everything works as expected. Thanks again for posting those pictures very helpful!

Last edited:
Back