• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy: Short(er) Antenna Replacement - Guppy Attack

I just got mine yesterday.

Did everyone receive their antennas already? I'm here in NY and while the usps site/tracking says its been delivered, I haven't received the box. I'm hoping the site is wrong and its just going to take a day or two longer. Figured it was awfully quick for usps to get the box from CA to NY in 2 days according to the tracking info.

We use first class mail, which is considered an expedited shipping method; 2 days is not uncommon, since our pickup goes directly to a sorting center.

I would check with your neighbors, and your local post office branch to see if they can provide any additional information.

Can you guys be a little more specific as to the installation, cause following your instructions my antenna just dangles in the hole. The nut doesn't hold the antenna in place. I assume I am doing something wrong. EDIT* put the washers on the wrong side of the car DOH!

Last edited:
Can you guys be a little more specific as to the installation, cause following your instructions my antenna just dangles in the hole. The nut doesn't hold the antenna in place. I assume I am doing something wrong.

Those two silver tab looking forks are what hold the large washer up against the inside fenderwell. When you tighten the bolt, it will hold itself in place.

Yes, I agree - the directions where very vague and went from identifying the parts to a completed photo, without any steps in between.

Using the photo already here, look at the completed one on the bottom right. It should make sense:

IMGP9035.JPG

Last edited:
Those two silver tab looking forks are what hold the large washer up against the inside fenderwell. When you tighten the bolt, it will hold itself in place.

Yes, I agree - the directions where very vague and went from identifying the parts to a completed photo, without any steps in between.

Using the photo already here, look at the completed one on the bottom right. It should make sense:

IMGP9035.JPG

Yeah, I agree the directions are lacking. It's difficult to make a DIY for a temporary product, when I don't have a stock antenna available.

It's slightly in bad taste, but here are the installation instructions for the shark attack, which is somewhat similar (although they also skip some critical steps):
http://www.locustom.com/nsx_install.htm

I will try to find a local car to make some better DIY instructions, this might take a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
ahhh...Ok that makes more sense I will mess with it more tomorrow.

I don't know if my car or antenna is different, but I physically could not get the bolt to screw on. I was getting my @$$ handed to me. I decided to take it to a friend that has been doing aftermarket radio installs. He was able to get half a turn on the bolt, but my fender was flexing right there (should have taken a picture). Anyway pulling it out he dropped the serated washer behind the fender. I don't how important that serated washer is but he was able to install it. Problem is we couldn't get it water proof. Honestly I think I will just throw the OEM antenna back in, cause this thing just makes me worried.

oh yeah, folks need to be careful inside the trunk with the two washer. If it drop, then good luck in getting it out because you can't put your hands in there and grab if out if rolls down inside the hole gap. Mine came off when I was taking it apart, but luckily, it fell down near the hole so I was able to grab it out through the hole.

I would like to find out from others of the best solution to make it water-proof.

I don't know if my car or antenna is different, but I physically could not get the bolt to screw on. I was getting my @$$ handed to me. I decided to take it to a friend that has been doing aftermarket radio installs. He was able to get half a turn on the bolt, but my fender was flexing right there (should have taken a picture). Anyway pulling it out he dropped the serated washer behind the fender. I don't how important that serated washer is but he was able to install it. Problem is we couldn't get it water proof. Honestly I think I will just throw the OEM antenna back in, cause this thing just makes me worried.

oh yeah, folks need to be careful inside the trunk with the two washer. If it drop, then good luck in getting it out because you can't put your hands in there and grab if out if rolls down inside the hole gap. Mine came off when I was taking it apart, but luckily, it fell down near the hole so I was able to grab it out through the hole.

I would like to find out from others of the best solution to make it water-proof.

Just when we...correction me...were about to give up Doug tried a 0-ring/rubber washer that was tight enough to fit around the antenna. You can't see it it fits under the base. We just got done water testing the antenna so far so good. haven't tested the reception yet. As for the washer we can't find it, stuck a magnet down in the hole on the edge of the fender but no luck. Either the washer is not magnetic or it fell somewhere else. It seems secure It doesn't seem to move unless you really tug on it...not going to test it.

@Scorp We tried the feet both ways and one way was impossible the other was able to get the bolt to thread. The rubber piece was out it came out when I removed the OEM Antenna.

*UPDATE*

Reception seems just slighty less than the OEM. Only station I lost any service on was an AM station.

Thanks John,

Both antenna received and fitted one already.
Reception seem poor and only improves when I am touching it where all the hissing disappears...it seems it needs more boost.

Any solution anyone bar changing back to OEM?

SS

Just when we...correction me...were about to give up Doug tried a 0-ring/rubber washer that was tight enough to fit around the antenna. You can't see it it fits under the base. We just got done water testing the antenna so far so good. haven't tested the reception yet. As for the washer we can't find it, stuck a magnet down in the hole on the edge of the fender but no luck. Either the washer is not magnetic or it fell somewhere else. It seems secure It doesn't seem to move unless you really tug on it...not going to test it.

@Scorp We tried the feet both ways and one way was impossible the other was able to get the bolt to thread. The rubber piece was out it came out when I removed the OEM Antenna.

Same problem with my install...took me couple of hours trying to tighten the nut but it wouldnt ..I dropped the other O ring inside the fender in the process :(

As for the washer we can't find it, stuck a magnet down in the hole on the edge of the fender but no luck. Either the washer is not magnetic or it fell somewhere else.

Check behind the fender liner at the rear spat. That's where one of my washers fell during the shark antenna install, and nsxter found it there. We took off the tail light to try to find it, and it had fallen all the way to the bottom of the car.

attachment.php

For future installers, I would recommend stuffing some paper towels in the hole to catch parts that might fall into it, to save yourself from having to deal with this hassle.

Attachments

• rear_spat.jpg
    rear_spat.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 476
Check behind the fender liner at the rear spat. That's where one of my washers fell during the shark antenna install, and nsxter found it there. We took off the tail light to try to find it, and it had fallen all the way to the bottom of the car.

attachment.php

For future installers, I would recommend stuffing some paper towels in the hole to catch parts that might fall into it, to save yourself from having to deal with this hassle.

Will do thanks.

i struggled for as long while trying to get the nut to thread.... it was like a needed just a tiny more thread to show.. Frustrating!

but i found that tiny little bit when i made sure the rubber washer was "snapped" around the entire perimeter of the base. The fourth and fifth pieces on the photo above. then it tightened up and i could finally painfully straighten my aged back.

HTH

i struggled for as long while trying to get the nut to thread.... it was like a needed just a tiny more thread to show.. Frustrating!

but i found that tiny little bit when i made sure the rubber washer was "snapped" around the entire perimeter of the base. The fourth and fifth pieces on the photo above. then it tightened up and i could finally painfully straighten my aged back.

HTH

It took me a few minutes to get it to initially screw on as well, but I think I wasn't pushing the actual base through the fender high enough. great product once installed!

anyone have issues trying to tighten it down? I just seems like it is a little loose still after hand tight and a few wrench turns. I don't want to over tighten and break it.

Also, reception is not as good as I hoped and a big step down from OEM so far. I will update after I drive more than just a few miles around town.

anyone have issues trying to tighten it down? I just seems like it is a little loose still after hand tight and a few wrench turns. I don't want to over tighten and break it.

Also, reception is not as good as I hoped and a big step down from OEM so far. I will update after I drive more than just a few miles around town.

I had to tighten mine more than I thought it needed to get it to feel firm. However, if I physically try and move the antenna it will come lose again. So, I tighten it back up with the antenna angle I like and haven't touched it since. So far it is still tight. Might need a little loctite on it or something. Also, it was a little pain to align the nut to cover the gap in that ball cap. Certain angles I would have a slight gap on on the side of the nut where it just wouldn't quit cover fully the center hole in that cap thing. Wiggling it around and trial and error I was able to get it all covered. I may put some clear nail polish right were the nut meets that base cap thing to give it a water proof seal.

Also, my reception obviously isn't as good as the fully extended OEM mast, but its not too bad and look a lot better, so I'm satisfied. Hooking up the power to the booster didn't seem to make much of a difference for me either.

Last edited:
After half the day trying this install (and losing the fender washer and then retrieving it after painfully fishing around in the hollow space below the antenna hole where it fell), and after numerous adjustments to try and stop water leaks, I finally installed this antenna, leak free.

But to my surprise after turning on the radio, I have no AM stations at all, the 8 former presets do not play and no other AM station can be tuned in at all. I also "lost" 4 of the 8 former FM presets, but 4 of them still play; I was able to find 4 new FM stations, which seem to be more stronger-signal "local" stations, and I did preset them to replace the ones I lost, but I can't retune the 4 I lost and I can't play any other FM stations. Weird, or what?

Anyone have any idea why no AM and only a few FM stations work?

Otherwise, I love the look of the short antenna, and I don't really listen to AM a whole lot, so I will probably stick with it, as is-- maybe a good time to do an ipod install for my music library. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Received mine last Tuesday, I hope to install the shorter antenna next week.

Thanks Scorp965

ok, so people are reporting these don't have as good reception as OEM? can anyone else chime in on this

ok, so people are reporting these don't have as good reception as OEM? can anyone else chime in on this

The mast portion of an antenna will pickup a certain level of signal, depending on the length, and amount of material. This signal can then be cleaned up, or amplified, but you're going to be working with the same level of signal; this mast is thicker, which helps with reception, but compared with a 5-foot long pole, reception will be less. In my case, I went from a shark attack antenna to this guppy attack - I live in Los Angeles, and noticed no signal degradation. If you live in a remote area, where reception is at a premium, I would expect a certain level of reduction in signal, which is an acceptable trade-off for the aesthetic benefit, imo.

It seems like those experiencing leak issues are able to fix them by carefully adjusting the nut, or by properly seating the rubber base; I would not recommend removing the serrated washer from the assembly, since it keeps the antenna facing in the correct orientation. The rubber base piece must be stretched over the bottom plastic base, if you don't have access to enough threads during installation the rubber piece is probably not seated correctly, I remember having to spend about 20-30 seconds to get this rubber part stretched and well-seated, otherwise you lose 1-2mm of height (the amount of thread required).

You should have access to about 3-4 turns of thread with the antenna properly seated in the hole. I am still looking for a local car so that I can create a DIY - I felt the process was simple-enough that a couple of paragraphs would suffice, but it seems like the issues people are experiencing are a result of minor mistakes made during installation, which would be eliminated with a write-up.

Back