• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Grundy Insurance Opinions

Looking to get opinions on Grundy insurance. Not looking to start the age old debate over insurance companies again but just wanted to hear from others who are using or have used Grundy to insure their NSX. I am getting ready to change insurance companies and just wanted to hear experiences good or bad about them specifically. Thanks!

I applied to Grundy when I bought my NSX two years ago. Grundy said they do not deem the NSX to have "collector" status, and subsequently won't insure it.

Has their policy towards the NSX changed recently?

Q said:
I applied to Grundy when I bought my NSX two years ago. Grundy said they do not deem the NSX to have "collector" status, and subsequently won't insure it.

Has their policy towards the NSX changed recently?

I am not sure if their policy has changed but when I called them, they gave me a quote for $565/yr for my 1994 NSX. I also requested and they sent me their information packet with all of the appropriate forms to fill out. I guess it's possible they will deny it once they receive all of the paperwork back but it is also interesting that they not only want the paperwork back but a check for the full amount before they accept the vehicle for coverage. I plan on calling them today to inquire about that point. I mean, if they have to review all of the paperwork first before covering the car, why request payment now? That part didn't make sense to me.

madmap00 said:
I am not sure if their policy has changed but when I called them, they gave me a quote for $565/yr for my 1994 NSX. I also requested and they sent me their information packet with all of the appropriate forms to fill out. I guess it's possible they will deny it once they receive all of the paperwork back but it is also interesting that they not only want the paperwork back but a check for the full amount before they accept the vehicle for coverage. I plan on calling them today to inquire about that point. I mean, if they have to review all of the paperwork first before covering the car, why request payment now? That part didn't make sense to me.

I did my qoute online, and I received an e-mail the next day stating they won't insure it. Perhaps because you actually spoke to someone, you got a different answer than I did. Interesting.

Usually when I make a change to my policy, I'm billed afterwards not immediately. Because you were a new account, maybe they want payment first; I don't know. Grundy is a small company so who knows what their business policies are on a daily basis. I would definitely speak to them again before you send any money.

If I recall correctly, I read on another forum that Grundy recently was purchased by someone else.... If this is the case it would explain evrything.

Just to let you know, I got the same "NSX is not a collectable, we do not insure it." from Haggerty. I know this is not to be true, and told the agent that. Ifelt it was becuase I am a younger, single guy (28 at the time) and explained that I don't put many miles on it, keep it garaged, am very particular, etc... "Well, let me see what I can do." 10 min later I was insured with them.

My point is that most if not all of those types of polices are flexible.

Go Figure! I have an agreed value policy with Grundy and they never mentioned any issue with insuring it (Oct. 2004), and I asked them that directly in my first conversation. I sent them pictures as required, so no surprises on what an NSX is. I know it is underwritten by Chubb, so should be financially sound.

No claims and hopefully none in the near future so I can't comment on that, but a good rate for agreed value and no mileage restrictions. Maybe because I had two other cars with them I got an OK.

Interesting.

I have insured 3 new NSX's in the past with Grundy on "agreed value"
replacement policies. Never had to collect but it was cheaper than Encompass who I used for everything personal. Recently Encompass reduced the premium for my '05 NSX and I'm back with them for convenience sake....

Well, called Grundy and got the same old line "the NSX is not an exotic or collectible so we don't cover it". However, I was told they cover the Prowler and the SSR! The SSR??!!! :confused: That's a friggin truck! I guess I will send in everything and explain to them that they already cover a number of NSXs so mine should be no different.

Back