• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gruppe M Exhaust

BB

Experienced Member
Does anyone here have Gruppe M's muffler on their X?

In the thread <a href="http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000005.html">here</a> it is listed as costing 280000 yen, which is about $2400. Also, a picture is included...
12.JPG

In another thread <a href="http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000298.html">here</a> someone mentions a "Gruppe M ARC exhaust". Yet, I have heard the ARC exhaust costs around $5000, double that of this Gruppe M exhaust. Are these the same thing? What's the truth?

If the Gruppe M exhaust really is different than the ARC, can anyone compare its sound to RM, CT, Finstar, etc?

I remember reading a story on the web about a year ago where this guy got to ride in Mr. Ogose's tricked out NSX and commented on how awesome it sounded. I would assume Mr. M was using his own muffler!

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 27 January 2001).]

Originally posted by BB:
Does anyone here have Gruppe M's muffler on their X?<<

Hi,

While I personally do not know anybody who has the Gruppe M muffler in the US, Jay has a Phase unit which is essentially a rebadged Gruppe M. It is exactly of the same construction (stainless steel) and design as the Gruppe M.

>>In another thread <a href="http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000298.html">here</a> someone mentions a "Gruppe M ARC exhaust". Yet, I have heard the ARC exhaust costs around $5000, double that of this Gruppe M exhaust. Are these the same thing? What's the truth?<<

That is incorrect. Gruppe M and ARC are two different companies. ARC makes Titanium exhausts, and does cost around $5000 retail. They are not the same thing as the Gruppe M exhaust, which is made out of stainless steel. Also, the design is different than that of Gruppe M, it is more conventional in that it uses the stock layout of piping.

>>If the Gruppe M exhaust really is different than the ARC, can anyone compare its sound to RM, CT, Finstar, etc?

I remember reading a story on the web about a year ago where this guy got to ride in Mr. Ogose's tricked out NSX and commented on how awesome it sounded. I would assume Mr. M was using his own muffler!<<

That was me! I got a ride in Mr. M's personal NSX which is supercharged and has his muffler. The best I can describe it is that it sounds like a superbike, more like a higher pitched scream very unlike that of the low rumble of RM, and the raspyness of CT. It sounds exactly like that of Jay's Phase unit... and it is very, very loud! But nice! Driving through the narrow streets of Tokyo in full throttle, with the sound reverberating between the high rises, was an awesome experience.

Though I would get this exhaust in a heartbeat, I am waiting for a new one they are developing right now. Made out of titanium, and it will be tuned to produce an even higher pitched sound, mimicking that of Formula One!

For more info, email me. I am the exclusive distributor/importer of Gruppe M products.

Regards,
Alex

Try "Hot Version" Vol. 35.

In it, you get to hear Phase,Gruppe M, and ARC exhaust in action. On K&N/Gruppe M, they have the microphone right next to the exhaust and it sounds like a super bike. Michael Kwon whom also had a chance to experience Mr. Ogose's NSX told me that Gruppe M Ti exhaust sounds much like the F1. I can't wait until it gets released in U.S.

Alex, on the video, is this the Ti exhaust being developed or is it the older design ?

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited 31 January 2001).]

I thought that Phase exhaust is made by Revolution. Or is Phase selling Gruppe M designed exhaust manufactured by Revolution?

the exhaust in the picture is the revolution exhaust, not GruppeM. The revolution exhaust is a unique design that merges the two exhaust manifolds/headers. Phase used to sell revolution exhaust parts, but Phase really is just a big dealer that sells all the tuners' parts.

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

maomaonsx,

So is the Gruppe M exhaust really a Revolution exhuast? The exhaust picture I posted at the beginnging of this thread was supposedly scanned from a Gruppe M catalog. It looks nearly identical to the exhaust pictures on <a href ="http://www.pac-gate.co.jp/revo/nsx.html">Revolutions web site</a>. Furthermore, the price is about the same. Surely these must be the same exhaust?

If they are, then who designed it? Revolution or Mr. O from Gruppe M? Is Revolution just the manufacturer? Or are several companies doing their own thing and sharing the same basic design?

Originally posted by BB:
maomaonsx,

So is the Gruppe M exhaust really a Revolution exhuast? The exhaust picture I posted at the beginnging of this thread was supposedly scanned from a Gruppe M catalog. It looks nearly identical to the exhaust pictures on <a href ="http://www.pac-gate.co.jp/revo/nsx.html">Revolutions web site</a>. Furthermore, the price is about the same. Surely these must be the same exhaust?<<

Gruppe M certainly has their own exhaust of this design. They say it is slightly different from the others, but how different is a little unclear. I will try to get to the bottom of this in a few days.

>>If they are, then who designed it? Revolution or Mr. O from Gruppe M? Is Revolution just the manufacturer? Or are several companies doing their own thing and sharing the same basic design?
<<

I'll post again in a few days after I get clarification from Gruppe M.

Also, Gruppe M has two different exhaust systems at this time. The other is a more conventional stainless steel unit, that is based on and looks like the exhaust system of the NSX-R. But it is lighter, and has a higher tone. The tips are single, 70 mm. each side.

Hope this helps.

"Yet, I have heard the ARC exhaust costs around $5000, double that of this Gruppe M exhaust. Are these the same thing? What's the truth?"

ARC makes really nice Ti exhausts but the BS about them costing $5000.00 is just that, BS. I am now importing them and they will sell for $3200.00 including freight from Japan. They weigh 5.5 KILOS :cool: Pix will be on the website this week or you can ask me for them in private.

I am getting their Ti cat pipes as well in stock as well. They weigh nothing ;-)(ok I'm kidding about that, but they weigh 60-70% less than the SS versions)

------------------
need more info? private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

Originally posted by NSXGOD:
ARC makes really nice Ti exhausts but the BS about them costing $5000.00 is just that, BS. I am now importing them and they will sell for $3200.00 including freight from Japan.

Someone in Florida is selling them at $3500. So now it's actually affordable :cool:

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited 07 February 2001).]

Here's the scoop on the Gruppe M exhaust.

There are two versions. Version 1 is similar to the NSX-R exhaust, but is about half it's weight. It is 8 kg vs. 15. It is also relatively quiet, just a bit louder than stock NSX-R. But at higher RPMs, there is a high pitched sound that is both distinctive and non-obtrusive. You can use the catalytic converters with this design.

Version 2 is similar to what is pictured at the beginning of this thread. Gruppe M has the original design, and the sound is also different from that of it's competitiors/copiers. Phase uses mufflers that are practically empty, so it is LOUD. Gruppe M version 2 has quite a bit more material inside, and is of a different internal construction that produces a nice, high pitched sound similar to that of a superbike, above 5000 RPMs. Below that, it is similar to the loudness of RM's exhaust, only higher in pitch. Due to the design of the pipes, you cannot use the cats, but it will produce more torque and higher top end HP.

I will be having the first Gruppe M version 2 exhaust here in a week or so, I'll try to get a WAV recording of it's exhaust note.

Gruppe M will also be producing its own titanium exhaust in the near future, and it will have an even higher pitched sound, very similar to Formula One, and will weight lighter than anything else out there right now.

Back