• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

GTR already having issues - like tranny blowing up

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3859376

name='R35_395' date='Jul 4 2008, 02:05 PM' post='334114'
Ok.. update..

I spoke to my importer and they told me its under warranty if i send it back to Japan but i have to revert it back to standard..
He has already sent another GT-R back last month with a electrical issues and it was resolved by Nissan..
His source in Japan said faults been hushed by Nissan Japan so it does not affect global sales.

So.. I suppose i have no choice.. Its either send it back,wait a few months and it costs me $0 or bite the bullet and buy the box for 15k and get it sorted within weeks..

I am going to demand a free reverse camera and a free service at a HPC..
clip_image001.gif

Quote:
'R35_395' date='Jul 10 2008, 12:55 AM' post='335111'
Update..

Ben GTC put me on to a guy who was going to come out to Thailand from Japan and diagnose the problem..

I just got the email that confirmed it is in fact BLOWN..
He explained to Nissan about the 1st, 3rd, 5th changes and they are aware of the some early vins cars having this problem and they are willing to fix it for FREE even though i took it out of Japan..

Good news... They will fix it for free
clip_image002.gif
Thank god!!!
Bad news.. Back on a boat and god knows how long it will be gone..

So... there it is..
Not a software problem, Its a major hardware problem that Nissan knew of and tried to hush it..

I am happy that they will replace it but it could be gone for months.

As testrage stated... SHIT HAPPENS

I appreciate the help Ben...

Quote:
First;900411Mines coming in next week and its 293x. Would it be a defective car as well? I hope not. Could anyone confirm this? I had a chance to test drove it at another continent ports before shipment and hasn't notice anything on that day. Just a very annoying check "!" light whenever I leave either of the door open while the car is started.

Quote:
mattbnz;876890I have a grey import GTR that has a gearbox fault showing on the dash, the car has gone into limp mode, Nissan NZ will not plug the consult III into it, is there another way to view the fault codes?, We are looking at getting a service computer from Japan to sort out some of the issues these cars are coming up with here in NZ as the local agents have been told not to touch them. Will any other service computer work on them?

Quote:
'R35_395' date='Jul 4 2008, 12:26 AM' post='333926'
Hi Guys..

All this talk of the gearbox being weak is fucking justified
clip_image003.gif

I took off from the lights in 1st and changed to 2nd gear around 5,500 rpm and the usual "clunk" and then it just revved out..
Then the car threw some warnings and it just limps in 1st now.. If i try to take off in 2nd... nothing,just like neutral..

So now i know i am screwed, I am going to buy a new box and sell this piece of shit...
I am in shock, i only got the car back to Phuket today and drove it for about 30 mins in moderate traffic..

What the hell to do?
Where can a source a new box?

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/95...x-fault-3.html
I just found another guy with the same deal... Mine is build number 395

Last edited:
So what? Should we start talking about Snap Ring range recall for the NSX?

New cars have new problems. Those who are the first to buy know that they are buying into never before seen problems. Especially when you are talking about super car territory.

A car with that much HP, and variable AWD having tranny issues. Gee, never saw that coming.:rolleyes:

Almost every sportscar has transmission problems in the first 1-2 years of production, it should almost be expected. The question is if the manu and dealer deal with them.

off the top of my head,
NSX
s2000
300zx
FD
MKII
350z
RSX
Civic S
all audi's
all mb's
(last two were jokes, barely)

If they fix the issues in a timely basis and it truly is the first run cars, no issue with me.

sounds like a modern day RX7.

bang for the buck performance when it's running right......

Until it's on fire or blowing engines every 30-50k miles the FD is still in a league of its own.

Funny i see this link. My buddy owns Offtopic.com:rolleyes:
But besides that. its amazing what people do to a car in a short period of time.

He explained to Nissan about the 1st, 3rd, 5th changes and they are aware of the some early vins cars having this problem and they are willing to fix it for FREE even though i took it out of Japan..

Some of the early vins cars? Aren't they all early at this stage of production?

1 out of 1000 is not bad, also it's the internet people only post the problems. I still like the GT-R Just not the dealers. IS-F is top of my list so far, yes it's not as fast but it will have the best service as well as last 200k miles.

Should be interesting what we see 1-2 years from now as the cars actually get a few miles on them.

What the heck is an FD?

Anytime you purchase the 1st or 2nd year of production, your going to be experiencing some type of problems. It usually takes a few years to get all the defects out. I would say a blown tranny is a pretty big problem.

So what? Should we start talking about Snap Ring range recall for the NSX?

You're absolutely right. This puts the GTR into the same category as our beloved NSX, a huge pile of steaming crap. What a bunch of shitty cars..........

Or was that not what you were implying? lol :biggrin:

Back