Hankook Ventus R-S2

Anyone have experence with these on their NSX? they have stock size and cheap!

Hankook Ventus R-S2
215/45ZR16
245/40ZR17
$448 set

I need new tires for my NSX soon. There are not much stock size available, please advice..

Thanks,

It all depends on how hard you drive your car. I have heard good things about the Dunlops. The rears are on back order right now though. Ultra High Performance Summer is a better rating than Extreme Performance Summer. I did notice how the Ventus traction was Rated AA vs A for the Dunlops but the treadwear is better.

Dunlop Direzza DZ101
(Ultra High Performance Summer)
Size: 215/45ZR16
Serv. Desc: 86W Load Index 86 = 1168lbs (530kg) per tire
Speed Rating “W” = 168mph (270kph) UTQG:
Treadwear: 300
Traction: A
Temperature: A
Price: $127.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock

Size: 245/40ZR17
Serv. Desc: 91W Load Index 91 = 1356lbs (615kg) per tire
Speed Rating “W” = 168mph (270kph) UTQG:
Treadwear: 300
Traction: A
Temperature: A
Price: $153.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: Back Order

I just put General UHP's on my daily driver's 17/17's... $380 for the set, installed by my local tire center, in OEM '02+ sizes.

Not a bad tire, low noise, and has a UTQG rating of 380 AA A, so they should last for a while and provide good performance.

Dunlop DZ101 is a good tire, and I used it for my 92 miata, I love them for how cheap they are... but IMO, it's not good enough for nsx grip.

You better off getting the Z1 star spec. I just ran it on my nsx in pouring rain whole day at our local track, passing all cars all day long...

RS-2 are supposed to he awesome tires. From the local autoX guys, they're super sticky, but not as good as the falken 615.

I plan to run RS-2 on my next set of wheels.

I just returned a set of R-S2 265/35/18 back to the tire shop for full refund. I was totally disappointed with it's performance on the street & track.

Saw this comparison article but it pertains to AutoXing not so much street driving:
http://scca.certaindeath.net/august_100_115_tiretest.pdf

The Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 is the company’s first real stab at the Street Touring market. The earlier Ventus Sport K104 was a decent tire, but it failed to set the world on fire. Hankook didn’t waste much time in producing something new.

Hankook’s engineers and product planners have been listening, and returned with a rock-solid performance tire that blends on-track performance and street usability into an inexpensive package. They freely admit that they compete heavily against fellow Korean tire giant Kumho, and it’s pretty obvious that the Hankook engineers had their sights set on the Kumho ECSTA MX when designing the Ventus R-S2 Z212.

The Ventus R-S2 Z212 was the third tire that we tested and it finished up in a solid mid-pack fourth place, a few tenths behind the Yokohama Advan Neova and slightly ahead of the Kumho ECSTA MX.

The Hankook was designed primarily as a high-performance street tire, not a track tire, and as such the tread design and performance characteristics play that out. The tire has a good initial steering response, but it’s not linear. We felt that the tire was quick to turn in with the first few degrees of steering input, but things quickly became mushy as large steering inputs were needed to get through the tighter transitions. “Even with the non-linearity of steering inputs, the transition grip was very good, making it easy to place the car in slaloms,” said Chris Harvey.

We were surprised to find that the Hankook had the worst grip during acceleration and braking.
Like its lateral (or side-to-side) grip, the longitudinal traction was hampered by the large amounts of void area and consequently precious little tread touching the track surface. This led to quite a bit of chatter from the ABS system during braking and even some wheelspin from this LSD-equipped Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. Even at the shaved depth of 4/32 inch, the Hankook still looked like a rain-capable street tire when compared to the other fast players.

The Hankook didn’t give the best feedback during steady-state cornering, and the tire quickly lost grip as it was pushed over the edge of adhesion. This made cornering on the skidpad
a little dicey—and the times suffered.

Accelerating out of the skid pad was where the longitudinal grip, or lack thereof, really hurt the tire, as this pushed the car wide. As a result, speed down the following straight suffered. This was only made worse when the Hankook overheated near the end of each run, requiring considerable cooling between stints.

Both drivers came to the final conclusion that the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 was a great carcass in search of a different tread design, one with less void area for more dry grip. The Hankook exhibited some wear during the testing, and it’s pretty clear that their engineers were certainly going with a softer compound. Our recommendation? Please give us more of that tread compound by reducing the void area. Hankook will be offering contingency money for top finishers at SCCA National Tours, ProSolos and the national championships.

Tirerack is closing out these tires.
You can get a set of rears in 265/35/18 for $99.

That's pretty cheap

Tirerack is closing out these tires.
You can get a set of rears in 265/35/18 for $99.

That's pretty cheap

Got a set for $288!

215/40/17 (2005 production) $45 each
265/35/18 (2008 production) $99 each

The 2008 production fronts are still full price. If you are interested in the 2005 prod. fronts email Jim @ Tire Rack.

Last edited:
Got a set for $288!

The 2008 production fronts are still full price. If you are interested in the 2005 prod. fronts email Jim @ Tire Rack.

Thanks for the info.

I was going to order a set of Star Spec 1's but at this price, I don't mind burning through a set of these just for grins.
I just got off the phone with Jim and placed my order.
Thanks again

Comparison test including the Z1, 615, and Ventus V12 for those that haven't seen it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...res_take_on_the_michelin_ps2-comparison_tests

FWIW I think the aboslute best performance tire now is the Yoko AD08, but the Dunlop Z1 is a close second and is a lot less money. Rebate is on now too.

RT615's are old news....

Dave,
The Ventus V12 you are comparing is the replacement to these tires. Sure, the Dunlops are more superior. But for this price, I see a lot of value in these (since they will never see track duty nor rain). I was going to order an additional set of rears but figured didn't want to be forced to use these tires if I hated them.

Anyone have the dunlops on their car? Just wondering if they are noisy and whats the tread wear on those?

Got a set for $288!

Is there any issue with the prod date in 2005? What is the shelf live on the tires?

What is Jim contact info?

Thanks...

Anyone have the dunlops on their car? Just wondering if they are noisy and whats the tread wear on those?

I have them. I don't notice a lot of noise but then.... look at my exhaust... lol...

I think wear rating is 200. They are awesome tires. I really really like them.

I've been running with the Hankook Evo12's for past 1k miles or so on the NSX. Good wet or dry, relatively stiff sidewall that suits the NSX.

I've also had these on my daily and covered almost 30k miles and have circa 3mm left on all four.

Thumbs up from me if you can get this version ....

regards,

Another friend with a NSX is going through a set and seems to be pleased with them. The tires are being used on regular streets and have not been used/tested at the track.

I hope the Hankooks are decent because I just ordered a full set from Tirerack.com . Because they were on sale, they were half the price to the competitions.

Back