• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Current tire recommendations for 1995 with stock 17"/16"

No recent discussion thread I can find. Last spring, I couldn't find anything in stock for stock front size. This year, more options. I need F & R. Looking on Tire Rack for 215/45ZR16 and 245/40ZR17, options today are:
  1. FALKEN AZENIS RT660 $800
  2. BFGOODRICH G-FORCE RIVAL S 1.5 $870 (only 1 of each in stock)
  3. BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE-71RS $960
I've had Bridgestone RE10's in the past but wasn't that impressed. Are the RE-71RS's better? Price is similar. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
A search in the wheels and tires section should yield a thread on 16/17 tires. I believe Continentals are a good fit, as are some Firestones and Goodriches.
Although 215 and 245s are the original spec, it seems like going down to 205 up front increases selection ( to the above).

Thanks. I couldn't find anything recent on the 16/17's, other than decreasing tire options and your noted 205 width increasing the options. I was planning on the Continentals until I couldn't get the stock size. The issue is that the 205 is 9 mm smaller in diameter and I don't want to lower my car any more than the 25 mm it already is, so I want to stay stock. It seems the only tires left in the stock sizes are 200/track formulation.
I seem to see the Falken's a lot but I was wondering if the Bridgestones were worth the extra $. I don't track.
Mod, feel free to move to Wheels & Tires section if desired - perhaps I should have started it there.

Last edited:
Thanks. I couldn't find anything recent on the 16/17's, other than decreasing tire options and your noted 205 width increasing the options. I was planning on the Continentals until I couldn't get the stock size. The issue is that the 205 is 9 mm smaller in diameter and I don't want to lower my car any more than the 25 mm it already is. It seems the only tires left in the stock sizes are 200/track formulation.
I seem to see the falken's a lot but I was wondering if the Bridgestones were worth the extra $. I don't track.
The RT660 are really good tires and if you don't track, then I don't think you need the extra grip of the RE-71.

I like Rivals . Just be careful in heavy rain. It feels like you are riding a jet ski.

Last edited:
The Bridgestones are pretty awesome for street tires, and are the direct OEM lineage of the RE-010s. Which I'm surprised you didn't like. The were arguably the best tires I've ever had, better feel and response than any other I've used since.

The Bridgestones are pretty awesome for street tires, and are the direct OEM lineage of the RE-010s. Which I'm surprised you didn't like. The were arguably the best tires I've ever had, better feel and response than any other I've used since.
They were 7 years old with ~500 miles when they came on the car, so maybe they weren't 100%, despite being stored indoors (on the car.) It seemed like an improvement when I went to the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. Based on your impression, I think I'll go for the RE-71's which aren't a lot more expensive and seem like a continuation.

They were 7 years old with ~500 miles when they came on the car, so maybe they weren't 100%, despite being stored indoors (on the car.) It seemed like an improvement when I went to the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. Based on your impression, I think I'll go for the RE-71's which aren't a lot more expensive and seem like a continuation.
You won't be disappointed- it's a fantastic tire.

Back