• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Has anyone tried straight pipes?

Suppose I wanted to irritate my neighbors and give my local law enforcement professionals/jack-booted thugs a collective nervous episode by removing the rear exhaust and replacing it with pipes that run straight from the cats to the rear valance. Has anyone done such a thing, or heard a car with a similar setup? Is such a system commercially available (I've seen the supertrapp setup)Just think of the weight savings . . . Just think of the sound . . .

I have straight pipes on my car, but it is a turbo, so that helps a lot with the noise level (my neighbors might not agree with this assesment). I believe Comptech sells a track exhaust that is pretty much stright pipes. Also, you could have one custom bent pretty easily.

I have Comptech straight pipes along with a DC header and Comptech exhaust and the car is still quiet. I smell gas sometimes though, it really bothers me. I'm even starting to wonder if I have a leak.

The Comptech pipes (which are welding works of art) are replacements for the cats. They custom machine race exhausts. Why would you run pipes after the cats? Just run them from the headers for the full effect :-)

Justin - the 'gas' you are smelling is chemicals in the exhuast untreated and unconverted that have a different smell the the resulting gases passed through the catalyst material.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 31 March 2001).]

The exhaust setup that George has is probably the closest thing you can get to as far as open exhaust, with mufflers. WOW!!! Sounds GREAT, but is WAY loud, like even too loud for me (which is surprising). On the outside, his car was louder than the race Porsche with a near-open exhaust. Inside the car, it is loud, but not overbearing on the track. I'm going to have dreams about that car tonight!

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Back