• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Cabin Technology Refresh Project (picture intensive!)

I'm sure that we all agree that the NSX is still a mechanical marvel that was far ahead of its time but nothing becomes dated more quickly than automotive electronics. Virtually all new cars have a nice navigation system available that features a large touch screen and the ability to play digital music files and access apps (such as Pandora) while providing hands-free calling Bluetooth capabilities. The NSX pre-dated most of these technological achievements but we do have a spiffy, cutting-edge (circa 1976) cassette player :smile: Kidding aside, I really like the OEM look and keeping that head unit intact was a requirement of my project. My design goals were not only to provide all of the above but to keep everything OEM looking. In addition, I also wanted to improve the sound system without large-scale component swaps and do so with no hacking of the stock wiring harnesses. Easy, right? I have done nothing ground-breaking here, as all of the components that I use have been implemented by others before, but I don't think that anyone has ever integrated all of them together as I have.

The JDM Nav pod ($400 from Science of Speed) was an obvious place to start and I chose a Google Nexus 7 tablet (32Gb $200 from Office Max) as the heart of the system. Not only does it handle navigation via Google Maps or one of many other apps available but it is the primary music player in my system

http://
2hx4qe0.jpg

Unfortunately, the fit of the Nexus is so perfect inside of the pod that there is no room on the side for the micro-USB cable or headphone cable to enter so, a little repackaging of the tablet was required to rotate the connectors 90 degrees so that they would exit from the rear. I watched some Youtube tear down videos so that I had some idea of what I was about to do (warranty voided, of course :biggrin:)

29s77a.jpg

I made a stainless steel u-channel piece to surround the very fragile micro-USB PCB and potted both connectors with hot glue to keep them in place. I had to make cutouts in the rear cover to allow the rotated connectors to penetrate. After it was all put back together, the next challenge was to mount it into the pod. I made some custom bracketry to do just that and attached it to the rear of the tablet with industrial strength Velcro ($3 from Home Depot)

sv03ug.jpg

To route the sound from the tablet into the head unit, I chose the GROM USB2P-MBUS ($135)with the AUX 3.5mm and 5V charging cable ($15). To provide Bluetooth functions, I added the GROM-BTD dongle/cable ($50). To improve the quality of that sound, I selected the JBL MS-2 Optimizer ($75 from Amazon) which is an amazing little DSP device! It has an internal microphone that automatically optimizes the sound by equalizing and time-aligning it so that the speakers sonically appear to be at ear level, instead of at your ankles. Others have used it and raved about the sonic improvements but hated the large bulk of cables it requires so I sought to minimize that complaint. How? Science of Speed to the rescue! They custom made me a 6 inch feed-through harness ($40) that inserts between the head unit and the harness that feeds the amps. To put the MS-2 into the loop. I clipped the speaker wires from that harness and added two 3.5mm stereo jacks ($1 each from Fry's)

2gsixyq.jpg

Now, what to do about the large and ugly "wall wart" cigarette lighter power supply that comes with the MS-2? I decided to break open and re-package that bad boy so it was back to Fry's for a plastic project box ($7). I also decided to include the power supply for the tablet into the same package so I purchased a cigarette lighter USB charger capable of 2.1 amps output from Fry's ($6). I 3D printed the end pieces (white parts, below) to get exactly what I wanted (gotta love those 3D printers!)

23jki07.jpg

With the power supplies integrated into the same package, the entire system can be hooked up with a single power and ground wire that I plugged into an open fuse block in the fuse box down by the drivers left foot

2vw7p52.jpg

Here is a pic of the entire system mocked up on my living room floor

o09fec.jpg

All of the custom fab was now done and it was time for the fun - installation! First thing was to find a good spot for the microphone used for telephone calls and after a bit, it became apparent that the best place to put it was on my excellent Performance
Package radar detector mount. Only slight filing of the plastic Valentine 1 bracket was required to make a clamp to hold the microphone cable

14lk014.jpg

After removing the clock/AC vent panel and console cover, I installed the new AC duct and nav pod bracket ($75 from the NSXPrime group buy). The foam gasket material around the original duct (where it contacts the blower housing) mostly crumbled away and would not provide a good seal so I used butyl rubber to seal the duct

m9uofn.jpg

While I had the console panel out, I removed the coin tray and modified it to receive a USB port. This is for music playback from a thumb drive and also to plug in and charge my iPhone. The cable that I used here is a USB 2.0 Male to USB 2.0 Female Panel Mount ($8 from Amazon)

1zqg4nr.jpg

Some minor trimming of my NSX-R shift boot plate was also required for clearance upon assembly

2ag2j9g.jpg

One of the most challenging parts of the install was routing and restraining all of the cables inside the console in a neat and orderly manner where they don't interfere with anything else. Patience is a virtue! The JBL MS-2 was to be mounted into the largest, lower chamber of the console armrest which meant that the 3.5mm cables supplied with it were too short so back to Fry's again to purchase 2 meter length replacements ($5 each). Once the MS-2 is placed into the arm rest, a sufficient slack length of the two 3.5mm cables and the power cable must be provided to allow the unit to be removed and held in front of the driver's face. This is done for calibration and then the cables can be coiled for storeage

2z829dv.jpg

Almost done now! After inspection of the cables it was time to button it all up. Here's a look at the entire cabin with the system in place. I think it looks awesomely OEM and clean :smile:

dwfm28.jpg

I have the tablet configured to stay in a deep sleep all of the time until it receives power to charge and then the display immediately lights up in booted condition. When the ignition key is turned off, the tablet goes back to sleep. To accomplish this, I started by putting the tablet in developer mode and selecting an option to keep the display awake so long as it is being charged. This alone does what I wanted but the battery life is not great without the help of an app called Tasker ($3 on Google Play). Tasker can be programmed to do many things but all that is needed here is to write a couple of profiles to tell it what to do when the display is on and another to tell it what to do when the display is off. When the display is off, you want Tasker to kill wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS and all apps. When the screen is on, I have Tasker turn on Bluetooth so that it will sync up with my phone. I manually turn on wi-fi as needed. I tether the tablet to my phone when wi-fi is needed on the road. If done correctly, a fully charged battery will sleep for 10 days or so and recharge quickly when you drive. In case the battery goes dead prematurely (which it did once while I was figuring out Tasker), I drilled a 1/8" diameter hole thru the top of the nav pod bezel, directly over the tablet power button so I can push it with a drill bit (or similar) to get it to reboot.

Another handy app is called Keepscreen (free from Google Play) and it can be programmed to keep the display at full brightness when you are using apps that require it (like Google Maps). The Nexus 7 dims the screen after a period on not being touched by default and that can get really annoying without Keepscreen. Also, be sure to turn off auto brightness on the tablet because it is buggy and causes the display to flicker.

The music player that I settled on is called N7 Player ($1 from Google Play). It has a cool, modern looking interface that is pretty easy to use while driving. It is also an all format player so you can select something that sounds better than crappy MP3s.

The last app that I added was Torque ($5 from Google Play). That requires an OBDII Bluetooth dongle so I selected the Super-Mini ELM327 device ($12 from Amazon). Torque not only lets you read CEL codes and reset them but it allows you to set up a customizable electronic dashboard to let you monitor any engine function that the OBDII computer reports on. I even added a free Shift Light add-on and it's pretty cool.

This system is so expandable that I think that I will be happy with it for a long time to come :biggrin:

Last edited:
Very nice and clean. I would assume you are not using AALinq to "play" music from the tablet to the Grom unit?

I have a similar setup, but I used Automagic to conserve battery power (similar to Tasker). The only drawback for my setup is the Grom USB unit only outputs 1A, which is not enough to charge the tablet.

This looks amazing, but I don't think I can sacrifice my Nexus 7 to permanent NSX duty. Maybe in another year or two...

That is awesome setup ... I wish i was good to build one of these, all i got is alpine new deck this seems way more cool great job and nicely detailed

When the screen is on, I have Tasker turn on Bluetooth so that it will sync up with my phone.

This might be the key that I've been looking for. Can you make phone calls using the microphone that is connected to your Nexus 7? And the iPhone is connected using Bluetooth, so that the N7 appears as a Bluetooth headset or the like?

Looks good, thank you for some inspiration.

-Jason

This might be the key that I've been looking for. Can you make phone calls using the microphone that is connected to your Nexus 7? And the iPhone is connected using Bluetooth, so that the N7 appears as a Bluetooth headset or the like?

Looks good, thank you for some inspiration.

-Jason

You can make calls by dialing (or voice dialing) out on your phone and speaking into the mic but you can receive calls directly via Bluetooth. It works really well! The sound through the Bose speakers is very clear

Nice job Wade! Great idea & looks factory clean. Didn't know you had it in ya, now that i know, i will have to use you when i do mine. :biggrin:

I wanted to USB stream to the GROM but my N7 isn't rooted so I can't use the microUSB to simultaneously stream and charge so I'm just using the headphone jack.

The N7 does not need to be rooted for this. If you plug in the N7 directly into the Grom USB port, it will "stream" and charge at the same time, but you will need to use their app. This also allows you to use the OEM headunit buttons (play, next, back , shuffle) to control the N7. The drawback is the current out of the Grom USB is so weak that the N7 is actually using more power than being fed. Also, this will bypass your optimizer and take up your USB port.

So for $900 plus install you can have this clean and OEM looking system + apps? That is so cool. Any thoughts of doing a group buy for all the components and wiring harnesses? Wish you lived closer....

The N7 does not need to be rooted for this. If you plug in the N7 directly into the Grom USB port, it will "stream" and charge at the same time, but you will need to use their app. This also allows you to use the OEM headunit buttons (play, next, back , shuffle) to control the N7. The drawback is the current out of the Grom USB is so weak that the N7 is actually using more power than being fed. Also, this will bypass your optimizer and take up your USB port.

I never really seriously looked into going that route once I discovered that the USB port on the GROM didn't supply enough current to keep the tablet charged. I think that I prefer to control playback from the tablet anyway.

My first concept was to have a USB hub feeding into the tablet micro-USB via a OTG cable. This would have given me a lot of flexibility to make future upgrades (like an external hard drive) but then the issue of simultaneous charging and data streaming showed up. After lots of reading on Android Central, I discovered that I would have to root the tablet to make this possible and I was afraid that rooting would cause reliability issues so I went with plan B - the headphone jack. Below is a pic of where I started from:

rh3ejc.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So for $900 plus install you can have this clean and OEM looking system + apps? That is so cool. Any thoughts of doing a group buy for all the components and wiring harnesses? Wish you lived closer....

Thanks for the props everyone :smile: I don't have the time to put together a group buy for the unique components of the system but I have lots of photos that I can share to help build your own. Science of Speed would probably add the 3.5mm headphone jacks to the adapter harness as I did, if asked.

Last edited:
That really is fantastic. The folks here on prime never fail to amaze!

Excellent Brother! Looks even Better in Person Guys!!!

Great work Wade! I'll need to check this out at the next meet!

I've gotten a couple of PMs from Primers asking how I load music onto the Nexus 7 after it's installed. Good question - I should have answered this in my original post. I use this great little app called AirDroid (free from Google Play) that allows me transfer files from my PC to the tablet wirelessly via wi-fi. It has several other useful features as well, like "Find My Phone" which in this case also means "Find My NSX" cuz the tablet is attached to it :smile:

Impressive! Very clean looking. My console been put aside for some time now but I'll have it done real soon. After that I am working on a nav pod to complete my console off. :wink:

+1 I would love to do this to mine as well!

clean_green,

Did you use a 1st gen or 2nd gen Nexus 7? I noticed the sizes are slightly different: 1st gen is 198.5×120×10.56 mm while the 2nd gen is 200×114×8.65 mm . So the 2nd gen is a little taller and narrower (when vertical). 1.5mm might not sound like much but you mentioned the fit was really tight.

Back