• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

My Cabin Technology Refresh Project (picture intensive!)

So how do you keep the tablet juiced up while the car sit in storage for weeks?

My current answer to that is to leave the key in the accessory I position (while parked in the garage, of course) to recharge it as need be. In the near future, I will root my N7 and install Timur's kernal. That will enable fast charging and automatically put the tablet into deep sleep when the ignition is off. This should greatly extend the period before full discharge.

Are these tablets still the best route or is using something like a 7" Garmin better? I'm mainly looking for GPS, Back up Camera, and possibly Bluetooth phone calls.

FYI:
Buydig has the 7" Garmin for $120 shipped (refurbished). I bought one of these during the last refurb sale and it's brand new. I've played with it and it works well. I have plans to use it as a dedicated NAV system in my NSX.
https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/GRDRIVES61RB/Garmin-DriveSmart-61-NA-LMT-S-GPS-w-Smart-Features-Refurbished-1-Year-Warranry?sdtid=12144454&omid=200&ref=cj&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_content=4485850&cjevent=68af7761edb911e88034022c0a240612

My current answer to that is to leave the key in the accessory I position (while parked in the garage, of course) to recharge it as need be. In the near future, I will root my N7 and install Timur's kernal. That will enable fast charging and automatically put the tablet into deep sleep when the ignition is off. This should greatly extend the period before full discharge.
I use an app to shut the tablet off after each use.

@clean_green,
I was forced to upgrade my OS to 5.<something> since the Play Store refused to service the tablet at 4.<something>. It is now ridiculously slow. Any hints? I'm still using the tablet, but it takes perhaps 3 to 5 minutes to come up to full operational state.

Wait a minute, people have been able to get the Gen2 Nexus 7 in there? Does anybody have any close up detail on how to fit it in there? And how to connect power and audio out? This might really improve my response time issues. Sorry for the late request... I've been out of touch for some time...

Also, does anyone else with this mod have any thoughts about using the Willman Electronics modified stereo? I feel I could still use the tablet but instead of using the CD input to the stereo, I could connect via bluetooth. I'm not sure the tablet would automatically connect every power-up, but perhaps connection could be done via Tasker if necessary.

Last edited:
@clean_green,
I was forced to upgrade my OS to 5.<something> since the Play Store refused to service the tablet at 4.<something>. It is now ridiculously slow. Any hints? I'm still using the tablet, but it takes perhaps 3 to 5 minutes to come up to full operational state.

Wait a minute, people have been able to get the Gen2 Nexus 7 in there? Does anybody have any close up detail on how to fit it in there? And how to connect power and audio out? This might really improve my response time issues. Sorry for the late request... I've been out of touch for some time...

Also, does anyone else with this mod have any thoughts about using the Willman Electronics modified stereo? I feel I could still use the tablet but instead of using the CD input to the stereo, I could connect via bluetooth. I'm not sure the tablet would automatically connect every power-up, but perhaps connection could be done via Tasker if necessary.

There are a lot of other options now such as a CarPuride with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto capability

Back