• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has the market bottomed out on NSXs? (Buy now, or in 6 months to a year?)

I agree...for the foreseeable future it is depreciation. Why are people thus speculating on appreciation or bottoming out? Are there any other precedents for this?

I agree...for the foreseeable future it is depreciation. Why are people thus speculating on appreciation or bottoming out? Are there any other precedents for this?

not really. I just figured that these cars are getting further and further away from when production ended.

they never sold very many at all here in the US, and people have to know what they have in terms of a rare highly desireable car. that its a matter of time for it to turn around and start appreciating.

I'm not tired of my s2000, I just know that I want an NSX and I dont wanna wait too long and not be able to find a good one in good shape for a decent price.

If you all could really generally agree that you honestly dont feel that NSXs in general wont really appreciate for at least another year or more, then i'd probably drive the s2000 and and enjoy it for a while longer before getting rid of her. Probably wait till I hit 25 for the cheaper insurance etc...

Last edited:
I have found that car pricing is seasonal. I always try to buy in the fall/winter. Come spring summer the prices go up for the same car. I found this to be true in Northern CA where weather is also not that big of an issue and here in the NE it holds true. I got a great deal for my 2004 NSX in December and then watched prices go up in the spring and summer for a while until the economy got bad and then prices declined, on average. There are always exceptions but you have to look at the comon trend.

I sold an MR2 Turbo I had for 14 years for a great price at the same time I bought my NSX. The atachement thing I understand, but what made me feel good about my sale wasn't the price; it was the buyer. I really liked the guy and knew he would appreciate the car and take great care of it. He even thanked me for taking such good care of it for so long. I would have been just as happy if I sold it to him for thousands less, just because of the attachement I had to the car, similar to what you expressed. Selling to a dealer feels like I am taking my car to the slaughterhouse, just not right.

Find the right buyer for the S2k and then buy an NSX in the next couple of months as the prices are great and the selection is fantastic.

My $.02

Tytus

If you all could really generally agree that you honestly dont feel that NSXs in general wont really appreciate for at least another year or more, then i'd probably drive the s2000 and and enjoy it for a while longer before getting rid of her. Probably wait till I hit 25 for the cheaper insurance etc...

what the hell doesn't depreciate. even productin ended in 2005, you can find a 2005 nsx for around 75000. you can do your math, and see how much it depreciated.

in fact, you trying to make low ball price. if you feel depreciation doesn't worth you buying it, stay with your S2000.
you dont want to pay for depreciation? then go get a 97-00 NSX. BUT you pay maintenance cost. really simple.

you let me feel that you are a cheap ass.

I think that may be a harsh word here.....think about it this way - this is a simple buyer/seller problem we all have:

When we are the seller, we try to create a perceived value that is equal to what we believe the car is worth.
However when we are the buyer, we try to create a perceived lower value than what the owner is selling for to get the best deal/price.

Only problem I see here is most NSX owners are quite well educated in the value of the car. Finding a low mileage mint condition and well documented 2002+ car will demand the buyer to pay a premium. Why~ simple economics since supply is less than demand. I for one will not let my nsx go for anything less than xx,xxx dollars (assuming I would even consider selling it)

rk

I think that may be a harsh word here.....think about it this way - this is a simple buyer/seller problem we all have:

When we are the seller, we try to create a perceived value that is equal to what we believe the car is worth.
However when we are the buyer, we try to create a perceived lower value than what the owner is selling for to get the best deal/price.

Only problem I see here is most NSX owners are quite well educated in the value of the car. Finding a low mileage mint condition and well documented 2002+ car will demand the buyer to pay a premium. Why~ simple economics since supply is less than demand. I for one will not let my nsx go for anything less than xx,xxx dollars (assuming I would even consider selling it)

rk

i understand what you talking about. but i just feel his question doens't make sense. almost all the car depreciate. nsx depreciates, but not fast as european exotic.
if he pays attention on prime and autotrader, he will figure out depreciation easily.
he just want no depreciation and low ball price. what else can i say?

what the hell doesn't depreciate. even productin ended in 2005, you can find a 2005 nsx for around 75000. you can do your math, and see how much it depreciated.

in fact, you trying to make low ball price. if you feel depreciation doesn't worth you buying it, stay with your S2000.
you dont want to pay for depreciation? then go get a 97-00 NSX. BUT you pay maintenance cost. really simple.

bro what are you even talking about.

all I'm trying to figure out is that if people in the know about nsx's think that values are going to appreciate like crazy within the near future.

If so, combining that with the added depreciation on my S2000 means to me that this is the time do to this.

If the idea is that the NSX will depreciate further or at elast stay the same, then i'm in no rush to just give my s2000 to the first offer I get.

How is it everyone else in this thread provided great information and opinions yet you seem to get me completely wrong?

And there are cars that do not depreciate, in fact some appreciate and it seems that as I read more on prime that I'm not the only one that thinks that the NSX will have its day where its values have bottomed out.

The original point of this thread was to find out when you guys think that day will come, if ever.

Anyway i'm not exactly cheap, but I'm not exactly wealthy either, a potential swing of 10 grand or so between depreciation on my S and appreciation on an NSX isn't a exactly few bucks.

Last edited:
i understand what you talking about. but i just feel his question doens't make sense. almost all the car depreciate. nsx depreciates, but not fast as european exotic.
if he pays attention on prime and autotrader, he will figure out depreciation easily.
he just want no depreciation and low ball price. what else can i say?

thats not what i want. thats not even what I was asking....

have you even read this thread?

good luck. keep dreaming a car that will appreciate in your life.

You do realize that right now i'd rather if they DIDN'T appreciate beacuse I want a nicer one to be even more in my budget in the next year or so.

And that personally I dont ever want to get rid of it and so therefore I could care less if it ever appreciates after that...

I really wish I could keep both. Financially it is a possibility, but I simply dont have any place to keep all these cars. I have my s2000 which I barely drive. I have a 92 prelude, (dont ask me why I just have an attachment to that year of prelude) and I daily drive it as well as work on restoring it on the weekends, and now I've got a badd NSX virus kicking in.

Theres no way i'd even get remotely close to what I put into the prelude so that stays (plus i need something cheaper to put mileage on)

I've only got a 2 car garage, so therefore the S2000 which I can easily rebuy one later on if I feel the need for in the future for presumably much cheaper is the one to go. I barely have time to drive the s2000, what will I do with another sports car? I'm 23, and someday when I have the garage of my dreams I'd love to have it again as a toy, but right now its just not practical to pay insurance on 3 cars when i barely drive one, at 23 years old.

Thanks for the link, I must say I agree with him. Ironically enough I always felt that 20-30-40 years down the road the s2000 would be a car to keep. I mean Mustangs sold like hot cakes and one in good shape is still worth significant sums of money. I just dont know if i'm in the s2000 band wagon for that long ahead.

I'll never part with my prelude though (wierd I know)

thanks for the opinion mate :wink:

Yea I've been noticing people giving these cars away on the forums for a month or two now. I think it has a lot to do with the time of year and economic status of the country. (At least I hope it is)

My asking price is smack dab in the middle of KBB Private Party Value and Retail Value, + $3000 for about $6000 worth of Wheels/Stereo/Warranties.

Of course my $24,965 was a higher end start off point. I expected to be talked down a bit, but I never intended to, nor will I accept ending up at $21 including all mods.

Remember most 04's have significantly more mileage and are in no where near as pristine shape as mine. Their warranties are up, the interiors show much more wear etc... etc...

I just have to find the right person who is willing to undrestand and be willing to pay for those extras.

Yes 06's go for 25k, but they're warranty is up in a year, with similar or more mileage to mine on average, and are bone stock for that price.

My car has a lot going for it to warrant the price, just gotta find the right buyer I think. ( I hope :frown:)

Up here in new jersey, 04 s2000's are selling for about 18k with 30k miles, maybe because the weathers is getting colder. I've seen dealers trying to get rid of 06's for 21 or 22k. I would say you could sell your car for 19k stock and sell all the mods separately for about 1,500. I would assume you would get 25 cents on the dollar for mods and nothing, or even devalue your car if you don't remove them.

bro what are you even talking about.

all I'm trying to figure out is that if people in the know about nsx's think that values are going to appreciate like crazy within the near future.

You're kidding right? The NSX prices will drop like keys from a lear jet just like the others have. There is an 06 Gallardo on Ferrarichat for 100K. Talks of 04 G's in the 70's and low 80's and you think the NSX actually has a chance at appreciation? Let's check back on this thread when the dow hits 6,000 and see where NSX's are priced.

Im not sure why you're trying to time your NSX purchase by trying to get a small amount of money more for your S2000. Lets say you net $2K more, which I doubt given that S2000s are heading lower as they age and NSXs are not, even if you do get it, you will spend that much a year on tires for the NSX. It costs much more to run an NSX each year than an S2000 and I would say that the delta that youre talking about for your S2000 will be less than the difference between running the two cars for a year.

Also, unless you want to pay higher than market for the exact NSX you want, plan on it taking a long time to find the "one". When I found my NSX and wanted to unload my S2000 prior to purchasing it, I wholesaled my S2000 because I didnt want to risk losing the NSX.

i think that since the nsx is an older car, it does not suffer from the market-crash-desease like the new exotics. simply, people who are in the market game usually buy newest toys hence those are the ones you see for sale cheap. as far as the nsx- people who bought it new have it already paid off and folks that are buying them used do not finance them. sure, there are exceptions here and there and probably the only real deal you will see are going to surface at dealerships that previously were holding onto their high prices but now can't get financing to floor cars.

i think that since the nsx is an older car, it does not suffer from the market-crash-desease like the new exotics. simply, people who are in the market game usually buy newest toys hence those are the ones you see for sale cheap. as far as the nsx- people who bought it new have it already paid off and folks that are buying them used do not finance them. sure, there are exceptions here and there and probably the only real deal you will see are going to surface at dealerships that previously were holding onto their high prices but now can't get financing to floor cars.

Another example of leverage working against the new exotic buyers.

You're kidding right? The NSX prices will drop like keys from a lear jet just like the others have. There is an 06 Gallardo on Ferrarichat for 100K. Talks of 04 G's in the 70's and low 80's and you think the NSX actually has a chance at appreciation? Let's check back on this thread when the dow hits 6,000 and see where NSX's are priced.

NSXs will depreciate at a similar rate as they have over the last 17 years. Newer NSXs will depreciate at a greater rate than older ones, which have more or less hit a floor value. I haven't seen a real change in pricing on NA1 NSXs in 10 years.

But to say that there is a correlation between Gallardo prices and NSX prices is about as far a stretch as saying the dow will hit 6,000.

Last edited:

what 06 G at 100K?? I rarely see 04 for less than 100K unless it high mile or salvage. 06 and up are still in $140K+
Nevermind...Just saw it. 20K miles ...very high for lambo and it already sold

Last edited:
NSXs will depreciate at a similar rate as they have over the last 17 years. Newer NSXs will depreciate at a greater rate than older ones, which have more or less hit a floor value. I haven't seen a real change in pricing on NA1 NSXs in 10 years.

I agree with this point but newer NSX's will still fetch a premium and not de-value as much, especially if you are wishing to find a low mileage example. I definately paid a premium for mine and don't regret it at all.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the economy vs. NSX value. I don't believe these cars will tank like other luxury brands due to not being sold anymore and being Honda quality.

+1... Could have bought a lambo or Ferrari but did not see the point when I could get an amazing car in both appearance and performace with reliability to boot! Besides that this appears to be the last and only exotic/mid engine that Honda will build. On top of that less than 1000 02+ NSX's were imported into the US. In my estimation that makes an 02+ NSX rarer than Gallardos & F 360's....

I am actualy looking for another 02+ with a few miles on it as a daily driver so I will not rack up miles on my GPW...
I agree with this point but newer NSX's will still fetch a premium and not de-value as much, especially if you are wishing to find a low mileage example. I definately paid a premium for mine and don't regret it at all.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the economy vs. NSX value. I don't believe these cars will tank like other luxury brands due to not being sold anymore and being Honda quality.

I am actualy looking for another 02+ with a few miles on it as a daily driver so I will not rack up miles on my GPW...

Wow there's a true baller....hahaha :)

I just keep my s2000 as my daily and the nsx for weekends.

OP (starbai): I see your posts and you are really putting too much time/thought into +/- a few grand. Just buy the NSX when it's comfortable for you to do so. Just don't expect to sell the s2000 quickly after you find an NSX or you will miss the opportunity. Like another guy said you will end up having wholesale your s2000 when you find the NSX or just sell it first and then buy the NSX. Finding a good example of a late model, low mileage car is NOT EASY and if you snooze, you lose.

Crappy NSX's will be on the market forever but nice premium NSX examples won't be sitting around for long.

NSX values will depreciate just like any car ~ just in a more slow fashion than say AMG or other exotic cars that drop like a ROCK! :redface:

Wow there's a true baller....hahaha :)

I just keep my s2000 as my daily and the nsx for weekends.

OP (starbai): I see your posts and you are really putting too much time/thought into +/- a few grand. Just buy the NSX when it's comfortable for you to do so. Just don't expect to sell the s2000 quickly after you find an NSX or you will miss the opportunity. Like another guy said you will end up having wholesale your s2000 when you find the NSX or just sell it first and then buy the NSX. Finding a good example of a late model, low mileage car is NOT EASY and if you snooze, you lose.

Crappy NSX's will be on the market forever but nice premium NSX examples won't be sitting around for long.

NSX values will depreciate just like any car ~ just in a more slow fashion than say AMG or other exotic cars that drop like a ROCK! :redface:

The ultimate point of this thread was to see how you all feel about whether or not the car could hit collector status and start appreciating in the near future. Obviously many of you don't think thats going to happen any time soon if ever.

That being said I am in no rush to get one right away.

I think at this point I wanna keep my s2000. I just cant part with it.

More than likely I'll be investing the money into my home remodeling a few things including the garage, and keep the dream of an NSX at bay for another year or so.

Thanks for the tips fellahs.

Purchasing a car and doing home remodeling are two different things. As far as a car goes, the nsx very well could hold it's value and actually gain money depending on miles driven while you own it, condition and such. Doing remodeling to your home will help more if your neighbors homes are in the same line as yours, and if you can afford to complete the task properly.

I say buy a nsx, and if you need the repairs or upgraded done, sale the nsx. I have never seen a nsx really sold at wholesale unless it is a wholesale piece.

The ultimate point of this thread was to see how you all feel about whether or not the car could hit collector status and start appreciating in the near future. Obviously many of you don't think thats going to happen any time soon if ever.

Smart move, in this case the masses are correct.

Hey Kevin

due to the economy your s2k is going to get 14-15K at the most in todays market. getting a car loan is very hard and there are a huge inventory of s2ks backed up.

i been watching the market for a long time and you have almost a zero percent chance of getting 20k for your car.

good luck on your sale. i would suggest selling it for what you can before the price drops even more. great time to buy, bad time to sell. i wish i had more $ to stock up. :biggrin:

Back